OT: - Taylor Mikesell to Oregon | The Boneyard

OT: Taylor Mikesell to Oregon

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
MD guard Taylor Mikesell has announced her intention to transfer to Oregon. Assuming that she sits for a year, I’m not sure where exactly she fits in the Ducks lineup in 2 seasons, but I guess you can always use another shooter.

Reaction Score
6 legitimate players for at most 3 starting spots. I'll be stunned if everyone is on the roster in 2 years.
That’s pretty much how it goes nowadays, but it seems to work pretty well. Similar thing happened a few years ago with Hebard, Sabally, Campisano, and McGwire. As long as you keep the best one, it works well.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I thought the Slocum transfer made more sense than this one.
If you believe that Mikesell left MD when it became clear that Owusu and others were going to take much of her PT away, then going to a guard heavy program like Oregon is difficult to understand. But perhaps, PT wasn't the primary motivation for Mikesell to leave MD. If that is the case, she follows a growing number of key players that appear to have had some problem with Brenda's program, and have since departed.

Reaction Score
With only one 2020 committed how many players Maryland will have this year?

Reaction Score
If you believe that Mikesell left MD when it became clear that Owusu and others were going to take much of her PT away, then going to a guard heavy program like Oregon is difficult to understand. But perhaps, PT wasn't the primary motivation for Mikesell to leave MD. If that is the case, she follows a growing number of key players that appear to have had some problem with Brenda's program, and have since departed.

olddude, Taylor Mikesell transfered to Oregon to get away from Brenda Fiese's Pre-Game peptalks!

Reaction Score
Mikesell’s playing time decreased 5 minutes per game from her freshman year to her sophomore year. Plus, MD picked up Benzan from the transfer portal who shoots the three and has a better handle than Mikesell. MD also picked up Bibby who also shoots the three. Both were picked up before Mikesell decided to transfer. Seems like PT and the new pick ups may have had something to do with Mikesell’s decision.

Regarding her transfer to Oregon, as posters above mentioned, it does not seem to be a good fit. I thought she would end up on a team with lesser talent to try to expand her game. I don’t know whether Mikesell wanted the PG position or not, but she never looked comfortable playing there. And, there is no question Owusu established herself as MD’s PG.

Reaction Score
Taylor was never a point guard although she was forced to play point guard. In 2019-2020 she had more turnovers than assistants. Then they added 3 guards. obviously throwing Miksell under the bus when she added the Harvard transfer.

Did Brenda thank Taylor for her service? I did not see it.... is she closer to home in Oregon than Indiana? Does she have a sick relative? How many times did she laugh ay one of Brenda's pregame speeches?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
MD guard Taylor Mikesell has announced her intention to transfer to Oregon. Assuming that she sits for a year, I’m not sure where exactly she fits in the Ducks lineup in 2 seasons, but I guess you can always use another shooter.

another real head shaker...............are there only six programs where good players want to play basketball these days?

Reaction Score
Mikesell picked the ducks over NC st, and UCLA, sounds like she wants to have the ball in her hands more, “being able to go make plays is something I wanted this time around” is a quote of hers on one of the reasons she pick Oregon. Maybe she see herself the next Sabrina Ionescu. It’s possible she will get more national exposure at Oregon then she would have at Maryland. Also with Reece coming in who Brenda said will challenge her teammates to be there best, and can also handled the ball a lot would have kept Mikesell as a catch and shoot player.

Reaction Score
Just remembered UO also has Taylor Bigby committed from the '21 class. 7 perimeter players for the rotation in 21-22 if nobody leaves. No way they'll all happy w/ the PT they'll get in that situation.
There are one five or six programs in the country that are an easy sell at this point. The rest have to work their tails off.

Reaction Score
Sedona Prince and Taylor Mikesell are good friends so that certain did not hurt. I like this better than the Carrington potential transfer. I don't expect Carrington to go to Oregon. I am happy with Mikesell.

........When class of 2018 five-star recruits Taylor Mikesell and Sedona Prince were sophomores in high school playing for Team USA’s U-17 team, the duo joked about one day playing together in college...... “The biggest thing was the culture coach (Kelly) Graves has built," she said. "I had talked to a lot of different players – past and present – so being able to talk to them about how he conducts his program was big........

Reaction Score
Mikesell’s playing time decreased 5 minutes per game from her freshman year to her sophomore year. Plus, MD picked up Benzan from the transfer portal who shoots the three and has a better handle than Mikesell. MD also picked up Bibby who also shoots the three. Both were picked up before Mikesell decided to transfer. Seems like PT and the new pick ups may have had something to do with Mikesell’s decision.

Regarding her transfer to Oregon, as posters above mentioned, it does not seem to be a good fit. I thought she would end up on a team with lesser talent to try to expand her game. I don’t know whether Mikesell wanted the PG position or not, but she never looked comfortable playing there. And, there is no question Owusu established herself as MD’s PG.
She was already on a team with lesser talent.:(

Reaction Score
The Slocum transfer made no sense. Three colleges in 4 years.
I didn't say Slocum transfer made sense. I said Slocum transfer made more sense than Mikesell. At least Slocum started at Oregon State. Mikesell could start off as a bench player. Mikesell doesn't know how limited a player she is. (stated on the General transfer thread)

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Just remembered UO also has Taylor Bigby committed from the '21 class. 7 perimeter players for the rotation in 21-22 if nobody leaves. No way they'll all happy w/ the PT they'll get in that situation.

This is a bit of a head scratcher for me as well. I assume she has looked at the roster and, according to the story, she has talked to several past and present players, so she presumably knows what it's like to play for Oregon. as well as what she will be up against when she becomes eligible: only Chavez will be a senior; Shelley, with Mikesell, will be juniors; PaoPao and Scherr sophomores (I'm counting Parrish as a wing only); and Bigby (so far) a freshman. I think it's safe to assume that she will not play the point (Shelley and PaoPao are my bets on that), Chavez will certainly start, and Scherr, from my perspective, is a considerable talent. If her concern is more minutes, that's certainly a long shot given the competition. But, again, I assume she knows, and is comfortable, with all of this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom