Taya Reimer commits to ND | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Taya Reimer commits to ND

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Gee, I didn't know all this. Maybe we needed a double secret chat session. You are not doing your mod duties.
Clearly not. Everyone knows that's where the real skinny is. I mean, there's no way anything discussed in a chat would ever get out. We should definitely do one. We can talk about all of UConn's shady recruiting practices without fear of retribution.

JS

Reaction Score
We can talk about all of UConn's shady recruiting practices without fear of retribution.
I'm all for that.

Love shady recruiting practices, hate retribution.

After all, if you can't get away with it, what's the point of doing it?

Our first topic can be "Think Nothing of It: What's a house, a car and a no-show job among friends?"

Reaction Score
Clearly not. Everyone knows that's where the real skinny is. I mean, there's no way anything discussed in a chat would ever get out. We should definitely do one. We can talk about all of UConn's shady recruiting practices without fear of retribution.
The whole idea of chat secrecy is amusing to me. Like, no opponent could get in on it, the internet being so secure and all. All one needs is an appropriate Screen Name and to not praise Uconn in any way, and you're in.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
o please....I saw that thread yesterday. I couldn't believe how they were baiting anyone not of their ilk with their secret "code". I thought it all hogwash, and they are just doing it to see who takes the bait and posts about it on their pages. Silly actually .

Reaction Score
o please....I saw that thread yesterday. I couldn't believe how they were baiting anyone not of their ilk with their secret "code". I thought it all hogwash, and they are just doing it to see who takes the bait and posts about it on their pages. Silly actually .
You don't have to know the secret code. Whatever secret word you enter, just be sure to misspell it and you're in.

JS

Reaction Score
they are just doing it to see who takes the bait and posts about it on their pages.
What happened to the Taya Reimer discussion? Someone has turned the topic in a different direction. Let's see who did it . . . ah, yes.

And I, of course, can never resist the opportunity for a little humor at the expense of good, earnest folk who have only the best interest of the game at heart.

Anyway, Rady, it reminds me very much of what people on the old Scout premium board occasionally did just to prank the non-premium hoi polloi, who could read the headlines but not the content of the posts.

You'd see a string of headlines like "Wow!!!" "I can't believe this!!" "Has anyone else confirmed it??" etc. All about nothing.

Hilarious. At least to them.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
They have narrowed it down to 6 recruits that they are after. But no names, no sources and no idea how solid this is on the open forum.

I'm sure there are more details that make them all giddy with glee. I mean, it's all about Tennessee the institution and not Pat the greatest coach of all time. The top recruits will all rush to play for a first year coach.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
And I, of course, can never resist the opportunity for a little humor at the expense of good, earnest folk who have only the best interest of the game at heart.

Which was all I was doing....right?

It's funny. And fun to make fun of. And it's off season. We can all use a little spice. If it gets out of hand, I have confidence you will reign it in.

Did you get your decoder ring?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nice for ND to feel celebratory, and congrats to them for landing Reimer, and to her for her choice of an outstanding university.

However, styling this as a recruiting coup over UConn betrays a lack of knowledge about where UConn/Reimer has been (or not been) for quite some time.

I suggested a while ago, gently, that I didn't have the impression of a lively relationship there and thought people should pay more attention to the McCall recruitment.

Bret McCormick, who's quoted as saying he expected her to go to UConn, had no clue.

Over the past 2 months, the coaches have made multiple visits to see McCall, DeShields, Harper, and Chong but perhaps none to see Reimer.

In terms of ND beating UConn on the court, I have three words for the folks in South Bend:
Breanna, Moriah, Morgan.

Reaction Score
Could someone please post that pic of Diamond at an unofficial visit to Storrs with now our present 2012 recruits and KML and Bria.?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
all that talk about the super secret chat reminds me of a great scene from Animal House...

as for the article, i get why it's a tad annoying, but it's interesting that the fine folks on the BY seem to know more than a writer for a local Indiana paper. I know Geno has often said any idiot can post on a message board on a computer, but sometimes i think our posters and visitors often know more than the writers and media people who are paid to do so...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The whole idea of chat secrecy is amusing to me. Like, no opponent could get in on it, the internet being so secure and all. All one needs is an appropriate Screen Name and to not praise Uconn in any way, and you're in.
Let me just say it is the easiest thing in the world to make application, get vetted, and be able to attend the chats.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Let me just say it is the easiest thing in the world to make application, get vetted, and be able to attend the chats.

Any "volunteers"????....hahahah!

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Over the past 2 months, the coaches have made multiple visits to see McCall, DeShields, Harper, and Chong but perhaps none to see Reimer.

In terms of ND beating UConn on the court, I have three words for the folks in South Bend:
Breanna, Moriah, Morgan.
Yeah the South Bend Tribune needs a reality check. They won't be celebrating any wins over UConn for a few years.

Reaction Score
ND is sort of in the BE, and the "sort of" part is why I can't root for them to do anything but lose. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that when the conference realignment junk started to crumble the Big East, ND could have prevented the whole football driven madness by joining the BE for football. No way Pitt, SU or WV would have dreamed of leaving a conference with ND in it. Money is the reason they won't join, money is the reason the teams left the BE and now we get the joy of seeing SMU, Houston and UCF come into Storrs. And since the BE was the loose brick in the wall that caused the domino chips to fall in realignment, it is possible that none of it would have happened had ND come in for football. In terms of sports consequence, the other good ND teams can be pretty well replaced or are not noticed by anyone but limited interest sports fans, including women's hoops, women's soccer and men's hockey. Of course hockey has it's own crazy quilt of conferences. While it can't be proved, my instinct is that ND women's hoops benefits greatly by being in a conference with UConn. Noibody would notice if their men's BB team left. ND taketh plenty but truly giveth nothing.

I have no agenda for you to like ND at all. ND is just one of those schools you either do or you don't and nothing will change your opinion ever. What I do have a problem with is this lack of knowledge on the whole ND/money football thing. It has been over a decade if not more since ND was leveled in that regard. They use to get a full conference share of payouts. That hasn't been the case in forever. There is a special clause that only allows them to net so much and that amount is less than the payout of EVERY single B1G, SEC, and B12 school gets. Their tv contract is also less than EVERY single B1G, SEC, B12, and now PAC12 school. That's fact, well documented and has been for awhile. If you maintain that only football matters, than you are correct..they bring nothing to the table just like all the other non-football schools in the BE. As far as the rest of their sports, you're right most wouldn't care. ND is routinely at the top in nearly every BE sport. They can be replaced is one or two by a school, but there isn't any school that's coming to the BE that's going to complete for a top 3 placement in 10 different sports. If you think that bringing superior teams and high standards of academics and prestige is taking away from the BE so be it. I think they are bringing that to the BE. Other schools have it as well, ND's just adds to what already exists. ND has most definitely benefited from being in a conference with UConn. Just like every other school. Just like UConn benefited from other schools back in the day when they didn't have a football team and weren't worthy of even mentioning in basketball. ND didn't back out of a deal, it's upholding exactly what they said they would. There was no way of knowing what was going to happen to football. ND will have to join a league fairly soon. For women's basketball sake I hope it's the BE.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Great pick up for Notre Dame! Not surprised at all. I felt like Geno and company kinda moved on to McCall! I think many of us on the Boneyard always thought she was going to be a part of the Fighting Irish! Glad she is staying in the BE.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the pic Milford. Hopefully Diamond will join her friends at N. Eagleville Tech!! Shh it's a secret!!!!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I have no agenda for you to like ND at all. ND is just one of those schools you either do or you don't and nothing will change your opinion ever. What I do have a problem with is this lack of knowledge on the whole ND/money football thing. It has been over a decade if not more since ND was leveled in that regard. They use to get a full conference share of payouts. That hasn't been the case in forever. There is a special clause that only allows them to net so much and that amount is less than the payout of EVERY single B1G, SEC, and B12 school gets. Their tv contract is also less than EVERY single B1G, SEC, B12, and now PAC12 school. That's fact, well documented and has been for awhile. If you maintain that only football matters, than you are correct..they bring nothing to the table just like all the other non-football schools in the BE. As far as the rest of their sports, you're right most wouldn't care. ND is routinely at the top in nearly every BE sport. They can be replaced is one or two by a school, but there isn't any school that's coming to the BE that's going to complete for a top 3 placement in 10 different sports. If you think that bringing superior teams and high standards of academics and prestige is taking away from the BE so be it. I think they are bringing that to the BE. Other schools have it as well, ND's just adds to what already exists. ND has most definitely benefited from being in a conference with UConn. Just like every other school. Just like UConn benefited from other schools back in the day when they didn't have a football team and weren't worthy of even mentioning in basketball. ND didn't back out of a deal, it's upholding exactly what they said they would. There was no way of knowing what was going to happen to football. ND will have to join a league fairly soon. For women's basketball sake I hope it's the BE.

The issue is not what ND has or hasn't scooped in from TV revenues, it is what they could have done to prevent the BE from contorting. If ND was not concerned about the TV revenues, it would have been a no brainer for them to come into the BE. I know, they have of these great traditional rivalries they need to preserve. Only thing is, in a nine team conference they could have kept many of those rivalries going with 4 OOC games and maybe having to skip a year here and there with the those schools.
As to UConn. it was an original member of the Big East when the league had no football and few of the schools had football or D1 football. . The only real case about UConn maybe not being in the BE at that time was that it didn't fit the big TV market model the league was fashioned on. They got in, among other factors, because of Dee Rowe's close relationship with Dave Gavitt and UConn's somewhat well-regarded stature as a hoops program in New England. When the league added football, the choice was not whether or net to jettison the teams that didn't have D1 FB, because there wouldn't have been much of a hoops league left, but to add teams who had all the major sports. ND was added later without FB because the league was interested in the Chicago TV market and the league was still being driven by the hoops mentality. It is hard to imagine any other major conference taking ND without the only true value it brings to a sports league.

Nobody is saying ND didn't give what they were originally signed up to do. But things change and if one really believes that the league benefited as a major sports conference from ND's deals with them in other sports
despite this recent spate of realignments, and that ND was giving up anything related to their most valuable commodity, no way I can agree with that. Moreover, as I said originally, at the very least I believe their women's hoops program has benefited from being in UConn's league and their men's hoops program is certainly better off than if they were independent in this era. Their other programs are probably better off being in a major conference as well.

The only thing in a sports sense they have of value in the sad big-time era we are in is their football. For what reason lord only knows since they haven't been a great annual power for a long time. But that is their blessing . And they could have stepped up to the plate for the BE, but they didn't for financial reasons. I agree that they probably will be forced into a league, and we'll see how warm their ties are to the BE when that day comes. Don't hold your breath. As for ND's academics, as fine as they are, their entry into the league had next to nothing to do with their academics and all to do with their sports aura, which is all about football and not about any of their other fine teams. Which is too bad, BTW, because those other teams should have been grabbing more attention than their football team. C'est la vie. If there are people who think the BE is prestigious because of ND's academics, they probably wonder why ND is bothering with a bunch of state universities not named Cal Berkeley, Michigan or UVA and mid-tier academically secular colleges. (Don't get mad at me, I'm UConn all they way and it is a wonderful school, but there are some places it hasn't yet gone academically.) I just happen to think that pulling for a program connected to ND just because they are in the BE ignores that "special" relationship the Irish have and they care not about the football-driven realignment. You know why? Because they know they can get to any safe haven whenever they need to.

I don't much care for the way the BE looks now. I must be old-fashioned, but I'd rather not have a collegiate conference whose geography looks like a major league professional sport. The weird thing is that the only "natural" rivalries left are among mostly teams that weren't part of the conference, some not even a few years ago. And even those are not historic rivalries. The arguable rivalries in football now are UConn-RU, USF-UCF, SMU-Houston and Cincy-Lville. None of those interlock with any of the others. ND is the only program that could have prevented the bolting of the recent 3.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Short form...Universities talk about academics, act on money. Follow the money, find the path...

Reaction Score
I've always thought of ND as a B1G school based on the great football rivalries with Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, etc. from the 60's plus their physical location. I don't follow the intricacies of all you have discussed above, but as a casual observer, it seems as though the independent status was always an ego thing and a money thing, the ability to play the best teams at the time and to go where the cash was. The TV deal with CBS/NBC which forces the nation to encounter every ND home game on their local stations only reinforces that attitude. It produces the opinion (at least in me), that ND thinks we're the best and everyone must want to see us. Therefore I avoid ND football on TV.

I do enjoy ND women's basketball, but I don't think of them as Big East members. Just too foreign a thought.

If ND isn't doing well financially, I doubt if that was the plan. It just happened that their football program didn't perform and that hurt the pocketbook. As I said, I'm no expert on all this, just one person's opinion.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Watching all these kids commit to schools is kinda fun. Some of you seemed concerned theyre not coming to UConn. Well UConn looks to be pretty set for the next few years. UConn is loaded with some of the best talent inWCBB. So these kids, even if they wanted to attend UConn are looking elsewhere, because right now there isnt much room for them. Looking at our recruiting list for the next couple of years we already have top kids who want to come to UConn. No they havent verballed but I dont see Geno panicing so IMO I think these kids are most likely going to sign when Geno has all his cards in order. Good for Taya and ND. The BE is becoming a very strong conference.

Reaction Score
Good for Taya and ND. The BE is becoming a very strong conference.

Yes and no. ND is strong as ever. Louisville looks good. Then the downside is WVU going to Big 12. Georgetown lost a great coach and they have not hired anybody. If Sugar leaves they are toast.St. Johns lost a great coach to michigan. Still need to see how these programs recover.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Yes and no. ND is strong as ever. Louisville looks good. Then the downside is WVU going to Big 12. Georgetown lost a great coach and they have not hired anybody. If Sugar leaves they are toast.St. Johns lost a great coach to michigan. Still need to see how these programs recover.

totally agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom