Taurasi is aging, and parenting, but not ... | The Boneyard

Taurasi is aging, and parenting, but not ...

Reaction Score
mellowing. Still doing the stuff that has caused me over the years to just not like her. In last night's game with Chicago, DeShields strips her, goes in for layup, and Diana decks her. The way she hit her could really have caused some damage. Diamond showed class by not responding, except to make both shots awarded because of Taurasi's flagrant.

Reaction Score
Hope you were not surprised at that....

Unfortunately, no, not surprised. Just made me wish Gabby, or someone, would have found a moment to smack her down. You know, like pitchers low-decking an opponent when appropriate. Because she's one of the greats obviously does not give her license to do that to an opponent.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I saw that but it didn't look like flagrant to me. DeSheilds does a pretty good job of reacting to contact. I saw her run into a Griner screen late in the game and she hit the deck like somebody shot her from the grassy noll. Griner looked at her like "Come on". And let's not pretend that D doesn't get bounced around pretty good. Look at around 4+ minutes left in 3rd quarter. DeSheilds reached into D through a screen and hit her pretty hard on the side. Diana grabbed at her side a few times after that. It must have been pretty hard contact. It's a rough sport now and the refs have let it evolve into that. The days of seeing "pretty" basketball are long gone unfortunately.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I agreed with the refs...dirty play...unnecessary roughness;
probably no intent to injure (and didn't).

Reaction Score
I just don’t see why such a great player would lower herself to the constant yapping and maneuvering and whining for fouls. Probably watches too much NBA with James, Irving, Harden etc. trying to call the game themselves.

Reaction Score
I saw that but it didn't look like flagrant to me. DeSheilds does a pretty good job of reacting to contact. I saw her run into a Griner screen late in the game and she hit the deck like somebody shot her from the grassy noll. Griner looked at her like "Come on". And let's not pretend that D doesn't get bounced around pretty good. Look at around 4+ minutes left in 3rd quarter. DeSheilds reached into D through a screen and hit her pretty hard on the side. Diana grabbed at her side a few times after that. It must have been pretty hard contact. It's a rough sport now and the refs have let it evolve into that. The days of seeing "pretty" basketball are long gone unfortunately.
Agree - DT fouled her nice and hard, but shouldn't have been a flagrant. DT came over and checked on DD in the next possession too - definite acknowledgement, and didn't look like there were any bad feelings on either side.

Reaction Score
I just don’t see why such a great player would lower herself to the constant yapping and maneuvering and whining for fouls. Probably watches too much NBA with James, Irving, Harden etc. trying to call the game themselves.

So you don't like Michael Jordan?

Reaction Score
mellowing. Still doing the stuff that has caused me over the years to just not like her. In last night's game with Chicago, DeShields strips her, goes in for layup, and Diana decks her. The way she hit her could really have caused some damage. Diamond showed class by not responding, except to make both shots awarded because of Taurasi's flagrant.

You are exaggerating a ton imo. It was a flagrant foul (the announcers thought it wasn't) but the chance DD got hurt was near-none. Nor did she get hurt. DD didn't get hurt nor wince in pain from what I recall like a few nights earlier when the smaller MoJeff got wiped out by Zaui. You could see MoJeff was in pain after the hit. She was on the floor a while. What DT did was a hard foul but these players aren't china-dolls. They're tough. That foul DT made was more than it should have it been but the chance that would have done damage as you suggest was extremely extremely extremely slim. Ergo it's why DD bounced back up so quick. It had some to do with class - sure-- but it also had a lot to do with having little chance to get "to cause damage" in the way you are representing this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You are exaggerating a ton imo. It was a flagrant foul (the announcers thought it wasn't) but the chance DD got hurt was near-none. Nor did she get hurt. DD didn't get hurt nor wince in pain from what I recall like a few nights earlier when the smaller MoJeff got wiped out by Zaui. You could see MoJeff was in pain after the hit. She was on the floor a while. What DT did was a hard foul but these players aren't china-dolls. They're tough. That foul DT made was more than it should have it been but the chance that would have done damage as you suggest was extremely extremely extremely slim. Ergo it's why DD bounced back up so quick. It had some to do with class - sure-- but it also had a lot to do with having little chance to get "to cause damage" in the way you are representing this.

ok, no danger of serious injury, but from where I sat she hit her in the head. didn't try to block the shot. just a dirty play by the frustrated super star. and hardly the first time.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Agree - DT fouled her nice and hard, but shouldn't have been a flagrant. DT came over and checked on DD in the next possession too - definite acknowledgement, and didn't look like there were any bad feelings on either side.

You cant wind up and swing like DT did. She probably felt bad seeing Diamond take a second to get up but I thought the refs made a good call with the flagrant. The game itself was super physical and chippy. Not at all surprised with Phoenix considering they have Cunningham, DT, and Griner.

Reaction Score
You cant wind up and swing like DT did. She probably felt bad seeing Diamond take a second to get up but I thought the refs made a good call with the flagrant. The game itself was super physical and chippy. Not at all surprised with Phoenix considering they have Cunningham, DT, and Griner.
She hit her across both arms and bodied her, which is what put her down. Hard foul, yes - but not malicious. Diamond knew it wasn’t malicious too. Statement made, Mercury win, on to Seattle tomorrow.

Reaction Score
ok, no danger of serious injury, but from where I sat she hit her in the head. didn't try to block the shot. just a dirty play by the frustrated super star. and hardly the first time.

I don't agree with your tenor / tone. IMO you are taking this way too personal because you just don't like her. That was nothing more than a hard foul that warranted a flagrant because she slashed down. But even by your own admission it was an extremely slim chance of injury-- but that's why you created this thread, isn't it? -- To claim potential damage? So now we're arguing if it was "dirty?"

Well, one can argue that any hard foul is "dirty." When is a hard foul not dirty? In other words in terms of being dirty -- WHy would you feel a need to ever commit a hard foul rather than being "a good sport" and just contest the shot? So for every hard foul now it's justified to create a new thread?

As far as "frustrated" - what does that even mean? You mean for 3 seconds she was frustrated and committed a foul by your own admission that was an extremely slim chance of injury? - And that warrants a thread basically trashing her??? :)

How many players in the history of the sport have gotten the ball stolen and not been "frustrated" for a few seconds and ended up committing a hard foul? Not to mention being supposedly "dirty" by committing a hard foul/ not giving up on the play thus ensuring the player that stole the ball needs to hit free throws rather than score an easy layup is generally thought of as wise basketball in all professional sports circles imo.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, no, not surprised. Just made me wish Gabby, or someone, would have found a moment to smack her down. You know, like pitchers low-decking an opponent when appropriate. Because she's one of the greats obviously does not give her license to do that to an opponent.
I was thinking more in the lines of football, where Gabby comes down the lane and 'clotheslines her! . Taurasi really needs someone to show her some manners.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Went out of today's game in the 4th grabbing her back. Hope she's okay, she's been playing well this season.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Christmas Snow - 1

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Very true! He was THE trash talker.......BUT, he wasn't dirty OR a poor loser like Taurasi.
LOL, all great players hate to lose, and plenty of people thought Larry was a dirty player.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
LOL, all great players hate to lose, and plenty of people thought Larry was a dirty player.

No doubt. Most of the Celtics from that era were leaning towards being dirty players. They weren't quite as bad as the Bad Boy Pistons, but they were close.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No doubt. Most of the Celtics from that era were leaning towards being dirty players. They weren't quite as bad as the Bad Boy Pistons, but they were close.
Well, since I was, and then, a Celtics fan, I thought the Celtics were “chippy” but the Pistons were dirty.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well, since I was, and then, a Celtics fan, I thought the Celtics were “chippy” but the Pistons were dirty.

Let's put it this way: I certainly wouldn't want to drive the lane w/ Bird, McHale and Parish waiting in there. :p Chances are pretty good you were gonna get smacked around if you tried it. Danny Ainge was pretty intense. Can't remember so much about guys like DJ and Maxwell.

Reaction Score
Ok, I can see where they hate to lose, but it looks unprofessional to show it, like Taurasi does! When did you see LB do anything 'dirty' like a cheap shot, where another player could've been hurt? Even when provoked he didn't purposely try and injure a player. I never saw him throw a punch 'unnecessarily'.
'

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom