Tarin Smith | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tarin Smith

Reaction Score
I know i've made it clear on here multiple times. But I love CV. His effort and heart is special and should be appreciated

There are two factions on this board:

1. I love CVs heart hustle and grit
2. I love CVs heart hustle and grit and wish that he would realize his limitations so he can become the best version of himself

We all agree about that first bit. Saying that he should try to improve as a player is fine! We all agree he's a warrior! I'm glad we all agree on this and never have to derail unrelated threads again! be it resolved.

Reaction Score
I don't get the CV bashing on here. Sure, he can be frustrating on offense at times, but I think that largely has to do with our previous coaching era's offensive scheme (or lack thereof) and allowing CV to take whatever shot he wants in a stagnant offense. Therefore, he wasn't really coached properly for the first two years of his college career. Also, he was inserted into a different role than he should have been in, due to lack of guard depth.

He clearly can be a very important part of the team with the right coaching, and Hurley is obviously better suited for CV than what CV had before. His role will be different this year, but we will see an improved CV who will help us win multiple games this season, whether he plays 15 minutes or 30 minutes on a given night.

Again, I think CV's effort and attitude in the last game of the Ollie era shows what kind of player and person he is. He was balls to the wall up to the last whistle of a horrendous, lost season.
Nobody is bashing him just comparing his game to the other guards. Gilbert will get more minutes than Vital because he also plays hard and has more talent. Effort is great but the results have to be there and just by the guard numbers his minutes should decline.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Nobody is bashing him just comparing his game to the other guards. Gilbert will get more minutes than Vital because he also plays hard and has more talent. Effort is great but the results have to be there and just by the guard numbers his minutes should decline.
You evidently haven't read a couple comments in this thread, or posts on CV in the last year or so.
But yes, most realize that CV is a great guy to have and important to the team when his abilities are channeled correctly.

Reaction Score
Christian plays hard and with passion. The value of this in sports should not be overlooked. I think coach will be able to utilize him effectively. Cant wait to see!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You evidently haven't read a couple comments in this thread, or posts on CV in the last year or so.
But yes, most realize that CV is a great guy to have and important to the team when his abilities are channeled correctly.

He hasn’t been bashed. Saying he takes too many bad shots and doesn’t move the ball is just as valid a description of his game as saying he hustles and plays hard. Both are true.

He does have an adjustment to make. I do hope he makes it. Nobody is rooting against him. Everybody is looking at reduced minutes, and that’s good news for the team.

Reaction Score
I’d like someone to reconstruct Vitale’s jumper this offseason. I was hoping it would happen this past summer. If Christian corrected his form, he’d be twice the player, partially because many of his “bad” shots would go in. He has what it takes to be an assassin between the ears, needs the mechanics to make it happen.

Reaction Score
I’d like someone to reconstruct Vitale’s jumper this offseason. I was hoping it would happen this past summer. If Christian corrected his form, he’d be twice the player, partially because many of his “bad” shots would go in. He has what it takes to be an assassin between the ears, needs the mechanics to make it happen.

I'm sure he has what it takes to be an assassin in the chest no doubt but not so sure about between the ears. Not saying he's not a smart kid but the T the other night once again keeps his mind in question considering the changes which will occur this year. To me he needs to prove he can be a solid guard in a 5 guard rotation doing what needs to be done rather than just a high scorer on a crappy team. By no means a bash as some would like to say but he's a definite question mark based on his lack of control last year. It's a whole new year and it's up to him but Hurley is not KO. We need him to be the guy who fits in there's too much ability and heart for him to lose focus and hit the doghouse.

Agree on the jumper for sure. But his would be such an extreme change I think it would be tough on him. Kind of like asking Jim Furyck to swing his golf club normal.

Reaction Score

He has a two motion shot where he throws his elbow up pretty high. It's not ideal at his size, but I don't think to reconstruct it would be the best idea. It's an effective form with enough repetitions. His issue is shot selection.

Reaction Score
I’m rooting for CV, I really am, but sometimes he just kills me with some of the things he does. Yes i do like his passion and intensity and he does give 110% but sometimes that can be codespeak for erratic play , technical fouls and poor shot selection.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
No single average player has had a bigger fan club than CV.

Reaction Score
I'm not as high on CV as many here, but if you care about fairness you can't get on him too much for forced shots last year because our team just didn't have offensive options. So even if he didn't take the bad shots early in he possession, we ended up taking a bad shot at the end of the possession.

Let's see how he plays on a team that, hopefully, has more ways to score.

Reaction Score
Well technically he is a star. A black hole.
He’s not going to be able to make as many mistakes this year because of our depth at guard because he’s gonna get hooked. Without Gilbert, had not much choice but to leave him out there. That said he can still give us a lot so I’m hopeful.

Reaction Score
Tarin was one of the better players on the floor against Southern with 4 or 5 assists, some points, and good defense. Tarin was steady with his play and mature. Hope this continues.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Love Tarin's play in this exhibition game. He had great court vision to kick it out, can throw a ball up effectively for an alley oops and is strong driving to the basket. He plays the game quickly. Paired with Alterique the game flow was wonderful. He was one of my two sleeper players. I won't mention the other one for the moment.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He will have a role for sure but his minutes will be down because Hurley has a more talented option in Gilbert. Hurley will have a quicker hook on Vital with Gilbert and B. Adams on the roster. Vital is going to have play under more control or he could end up being the 4th guard.
Or the 5th with Smith. He should be able to beat out Smith and B Adams, but he's going to have to play the way the coach wants him to play.

I see him playing as the 3rd guard no problem. I think he'll bend to Hurley's ways, as soon as he realizes it's tied to playing time. Two things in his favor:
  • Hurley loves his intensity, which is better than everyone else on the team. Hurley will give him minutes despite the odd mistake/miscue because the kid brings it.
  • I expect we play a lot of 3 guard, which significantly works in his favor.

Reaction Score
Classic boneyard. I walk into a Tarin Smith thread and it's all about Vital
A its a college board at that Every year posters say the team needs to focus and players not get distracted. Either we are hypocrites or derailment experts or simply love to derail.

Another classic is when poster(s) admonish other poster(s) on how they should discuss the team or its players, as if we listen to and follow advice here.

Anyway on this site, the track is the Boneyard, yet everyone here is a conductor with their own train going every direction on the same track. Almost every thread has a glorious derailment crash/clash, with increasing regularity especially now that its basketball season.

Here's my keyboard, so DFWM!

1541453539609.png

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
it was an exhibition game against a D2 school.... let's pump the brakes until a few games in

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom