Tarin Smith is a stud | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tarin Smith is a stud

Reaction Score
Reminds me a lot of Lasan Kromah.
I think most of us can agree that so far he looks a lot better than Kromah. His scoring has been so efficient and prolific in limited minutes. He also passes the ball well, 6 asts tonight. He plays great defense and is a good rebounding guard.

All this with his hamstring not being 100%...

So excited for this team with all the player that we have.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
He’s a different player than Kromah, but that’s exactly who I thought of. Kromah was so solid all year in 2014, I was at ease with him on the court.

That’s how I feel with Tarin, but he’s got a little more offensive game and his man defense is Kromah-esque.

Just really like the steadiness to his game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Super smooth and reliable. I like him a lot.

Smooth and composed. Plays game at his speed and it works. Moment (so far) isn't too big for him. I almost see a bit of John Gwynn in his game and his face.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I'm not willing to give him the edge over Kromah yet. Kromah was outstanding for a whole season, and contributed significantly to a national championship. Tarin is going to have to play awfully well to beat that. If he's still playing at this level (or higher) 15 games in, then I'll start to think about it.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Shonn was solid but I think Tarin is really that good of a fit with this team. Like Kromah on that 2014 squad.

I love Kromah but I'll take Miller over him any day. Lasan was a role player, 3rd guard type, while Shonn was arguably our best player his only season.

Reaction Score
I love Kromah but I'll take Miller over him any day. Lasan was a role player, 3rd guard type, while Shonn was arguably our best player his only season.

DHam was our best player that year. Kromah was arguably more impactful as role player on the championship team than Shonn was as a starter. Kromah provided a lot more in the veteran leadership department.

Reaction Score
For this year, the experience and calming influence on Smith is incredibly valuable. Brendan Adams was a bit overwhelmed by the MSG spotlight last night, which could be expected. The addition of Smith provides a trustworthy player that had no experience with the Ollie regime. The fact that he got 30 minutes last night and Vital got a quality 16 minutes is notable. Vital didn't play badly, but Smith was key throughout the 2nd half. Hurley did a great job of getting the right players in the right situations. The fact that 2 non-starters had 28 and 30 minutes of PT shows the flexibility of Hurley and the team.

Top minutes were Adams 38, Polley 32, Smith 30, Gilbert 28 and Cobb 29. Gilbert would have had more if not for 1st half fouls. Cobb was obviously more comfortable than Carlton vs the extended 'cuse zone with his passing, handle and outside threat. Carlton will get his time against more conventional defenses. Nice to have those interchangable bigs to fit different situations. Whaley will get more time when 100%. There will certainly be a battle for PT when Diarra and Wilson return. Would expect Adams not to play 38 minutes when team is healthy. Wilson will take minutes from both Adams and Polley depending upon the opponent and whether UConn needs a shooter (Polley), and handler/creator (Adams) or a slasher scorer (Wilson).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tarin provides an example of why experience matters in college basketball. Doing the right thing at the right time is incredibly valuable to a team. It can help prevent runs by the other team and help bring balance to the team.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I'm not willing to give him the edge over Kromah yet. Kromah was outstanding for a whole season, and contributed significantly to a national championship. Tarin is going to have to play awfully well to beat that. If he's still playing at this level (or higher) 15 games in, then I'll start to think about it.

That’s exactly my thoughts, Kromah was SO valuable in that glue guy role ...Tarin has to continue on that path.

But his game seems to be better than Kromah...he’s exactly the type of steady upperclassman we need.

Reaction Score
The real question is how the hell did this kid not start at Duquesne?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Vital has cojones and the ability to shoot long 3s but lacks the BBIQ to know when not to try to prove how big his cojones are.

Plays out of control too much while Rique and Smith are calm and smooth.

That said, I love CV's grit. Hurley's not done with him.
I'm thinking that this is the kind of post @Walker11 wants when he sees this avatar.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The real question is how the hell did this kid not start at Duquesne?

This is highly speculative, but what I see with Smith is not a player who is creating his own shot, or beating people off the dribble. In any offense where the defense keys on him at all, he would be limited.

I think he's thriving here because Jalen and Al attract a ton of defensive attention, and he is just so savvy without the ball and with it, that he puts himself in positions to get easy shots off of those defensive adjustments to the other guys. Then he's capable enough to bury those wide open looks. In short, he's a guy that thrives when surrounded by better players. It's an odd comparison, but I felt Niels Giffey was similar. If they keyed on him, they could shut him down. But he was constantly sliding around the D, working the seems and getting the ball when the D collapsed on other guys. Smith is doing that as well, and of course, running the point at times too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom