Tarin Smith commits to UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tarin Smith commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I would think the odds are near zero.

Kimani Hunter recruited both to Nebraska and now one of them to UConn. I just don’t see an opening for Johnson.
Definitely below 50 at this point. There's still a chance since Johnson thinks very highly of Hunter, and we could still use a third pure PG.

Reaction Score
Makes me wonder if Jalen is actually coming back with all these guards we’re adding. Grad transfers are ideal though, need space for the 5* recruits Hurley will be snagging next year

It would be really weak if Jalen leaves. If he makes just the standard level improvement that a UConn guard makes he could lead this team to the tournament. Heck Kemba and Shabazz made it after year 3 and Jalen would be in year 4. It's not like he will be drafted Round 1. And he can finally be coached by a staff that has it's you know what together. He will finally have a roster with some depth beside him now. He can finally show us what he's made of and lead UConn back to the national scene.

If anything I wouldn't be shocked if Hurley maybe tells a a guy or 2 that isn't in his plans to move on. Not to mention Hurley has probably figured out that Gilbert's shoulder is not something to count on.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Definitely below 50 at this point. There's still a chance since Johnson thinks very highly of Hunter, and we could still use a third pure PG.

I’m sure he does think highly of Hunter, but in the big picture, there doesn’t really seem like need here for UConn in this class.

Unless something unexpected happens, I’d expect one more grad transfer and then off to the class of 2019.

I guess we’ll see.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Smith was far more productive off the bench last year - he played as many minutes as he did whe he started and increased his PPG by nearly 5. I can't even pretend to know anything about him or the Duquesne team.
His stats are very similar to AA when he was at Fordham.
I don't see him more that a 3rd option at either guard position. I'm sure Bob H Sr had something to do with this decision.
In the end UConn is basically going into this season with same line-up as last season - a lot of the AAC teams have gotten stronger over the off season
Coach DH has his work cut out for him but if he can get these kids to play hard and smart they should be competitive
Welcome Tarin!!!!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't see him more that a 3rd option at either guard position. I'm sure Bob H Sr had something to do with this decision.

Hopefully he's the 4th. Jalen, Vital, Gilbert, Smith/Adams. And he won't have to play as much as AA.

In the end UConn is basically going into this season with same line-up as last season - a lot of the AAC teams have gotten stronger over the off season

Definitely not in terms of depth. They've got 5 guards next year, as opposed to 3 last year. With the addition of development at every position. They can hold actual 5 on 5 scrimmages next year!

Reaction Score
Some stats:

* His 4.4 FTA last season would have been second on the team. We need more players who are fearless of contact.
* His 3P% is 33.3% but Smith didn't hit a 3 until his 6th game. If you take out his 3P stats in the first 5 games, his 3P% was 36.1%, which also would have been 2nd on the team.

Overall, not crazy about the move, but can't argue for more guard depth that only takes up one year of eligibility. Could do much worse for the 5th guard spot.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I would think the odds are near zero.

Kimani Hunter recruited both to Nebraska and now one of them to UConn. I just don’t see an opening for Johnson.

Correction - Hunter and Smith were at Nebraska together but I think they both got there the same season.

Reaction Score
Welcome Tarin!! Let's see some ballin.

I think the Hurleys and Kenya Hunter know this player and are confident that he fits what they are trying to do here. Veteran guard depth, perimeter defense, dribble penetration with interior passing, tough athletic scorer, one year scholly.

Love the dunk.

Reaction Score
With all due respect to Antwoine Anderson I believe Tarin Smith is a better player overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom