Tank Wars | The Boneyard

Tank Wars

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The Podcaster from Australia that some posters dislike, nevertheless raises some interesting questions that merit discussion. Right now, you might think that the L.A. Sparks have the best odds to draft Paige next year. But, Dallas owns Chicago's draft, so combined they have slightly higher odds. I assume UConn fans would be happy to see Paige go to the Sparks. But what if Dallas wins the first pick? Do we really want to see Paige in the same backcourt as Arike? So, would Paige stay an additional year to avoid going to Dallas? What are the Pros and Cons?

Reaction Score
Unless ther is something specific/personal that Paige doesn't want to play for Dallas, I think she will happily go. That's the con of something personal.

The pro is that all great players want to measure themselves vs other great players. That's why CC left Iowa and why Paige will enter the pros. All her life she's worked toward becoming a great pro. A big reason imo fro her staying was her past injuries not wanting to have to risk injury without a rest after missing as much time as she had the prior 2 years. OFC title important too but her health most important.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Unless ther is something specific/personal that Paige doesn't want to play for Dallas, I think she will happily go. That's the con of something personal.

The pro is that all great players want to measure themselves vs other great players. That's why CC left Iowa and why Paige will enter the pros. All her life she's worked toward becoming a great pro. A big reason imo fro her staying was her past injuries not wanting to have to risk injury without a rest after missing as much time as she had the prior 2 years. OFC title important too but her health most important.
my opinion: AO is no 'great player.'

she's poison.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Dallas is the only team that I pray does not get Paige. That organization is poison, having multiple first round draft picks in recent years. Squandering them, trading them, benching them. No way a great point guard can exist and do a great job with Arike with them in the backcourt. Paige would not have an impact there like she would in LA or Washington. Dallas is just the worst scenario for her next career, and I just pray she just doesn't end up in Dallas.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Dallas is the only team that I pray does not get Paige. That organization is poison, having multiple first round draft picks in recent years. Squandering them, trading them, benching them. No way a great point guard can exist and do a great job with Arike with them in the backcourt. Paige would not have an impact there like she would in LA or Washington. Dallas is just the worst scenario for her next career, and I just pray she just doesn't end up in Dallas.
I agree 100%. I highly doubt that Paige would stay an extra year just to avoid Dallas, but at least it's an option. I remember both Peyton AND Eli Manning refused to play for the Team that owned their draft rights. Does Paige have the same "option?"

Reaction Score
Paige could pull a John Elway if Dallas were to draft her. Those that don't know or remember, John Elway was drafted by the Baltimore Colts back in 1983 but refused to sign a contract or even play for the Colts. He was traded to Denver for some picks. If Paige were to get drafted by the Wings, she could refuse and just wait it out. We all know Paige is not like that so if Dallas were to draft her, she would show up and be that model player. But we all know, Dallas ain't getting that #1 pick.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Here’s the thing. There is a 56% chance that a team other than LA secures the 1st pick in the WNBA draft. Whether that’s Dallas or Washington, a similar scenario, possibly with a different set of teams will occur again next season. Either way, it’s a crap shoot.

I strongly suspect that Paige will take take her chances and enter the draft in 2025, after winning another NPOY and a national championship….. ;)

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Here’s the thing. There is a 56% chance that a team other than LA secures the 1st pick in the WNBA draft. Whether that’s Dallas or Washington, a similar scenario, possibly with a different set of teams will occur again next season. Either way, it’s a crap shoot.

I strongly suspect that Paige will take take her chances and enter the draft in 2025, after winning another NPOY and a national championship….. ;)
I could be wrong, but I think Paige will know who owns the number one draft pick BEFORE she makes a decision to enter the draft. Didn't Clark know she was going to Indiana before she entered the draft, which worked out great for her.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but I think Paige will know who owns the number one draft pick BEFORE she makes a decision to enter the draft. Didn't Clark know she was going to Indiana before she entered the draft, which worked out great for her.
Yes that’s true. But she doesn’t know who will get the number 1 pick in 2026, and I don’t think she will be inclined to roll the dice with another year in college, just so she doesn’t get drafted by Dallas in 2025.

Reaction Score
Something I saw a while back (before this WNBA season started) was Linx HC Cheryl Reeve was interviewed in MN and one of the questions asked if she could would she draft Paige Bueckers, a MN native, if she had the chance? She answered, "I can't talk about college players before their graduation, but then again, my Mother didn't raise any fools! Any UConn player is pro ready!"
Don't be surprised if Cheryl traded with whoever gets the #1 pick to get Paige!
Paige would be a huge draw back home in MN! As Clark is in Indiana!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Something I saw a while back (before this WNBA season started) was Linx HC Cheryl Reeve was interviewed in MN and one of the questions asked if she could would she draft Paige Bueckers, a MN native, if she had the chance? She answered, "I can't talk about college players before their graduation, but then again, my Mother didn't raise any fools! Any UConn player is pro ready!"
Trading for the rights to Paige is a real possibility. But for MN to secure that pick, at a minimum, it would take 1 or more draft picks and 1 or more veteran players.

Reaction Score
my opinion: AO is no 'great player.'

she's poison.
I dislike AO immensely too. And I wasn't saying AO was a great player. When I mentioned "measurement" I meant vs all players.

I will say this about AO, she beat us twice I think in NCAA's and she won a title. When I 1st watched her play against us as a frosh I didn't think she'd be very good. I don't like scorers that aren't efficient. With that said she is a scorer in which Paige would definitely help AO's efficiency. I hate ND but they were a winner that she was a part of. I just can't get out of my head her commit to ND while making a snide comment regarding UCONN and her cheap shot on Muhl late in the regular season game in which the game was already decided.

Reaction Score
Paige could pull a John Elway if Dallas were to draft her. Those that don't know or remember, John Elway was drafted by the Baltimore Colts back in 1983 but refused to sign a contract or even play for the Colts. He was traded to Denver for some picks. If Paige were to get drafted by the Wings, she could refuse and just wait it out. We all know Paige is not like that so if Dallas were to draft her, she would show up and be that model player. But we all know, Dallas ain't getting that #1 pick.
Elway also had the threat of playing baseball for the yankees to fall back on

Reaction Score
Don't think that is possible. If a player coming from college is expected to be supremely elite, there is imo near no chance to trade for that player. In hoop, one player, a defining player to your franchise, means so much.

Reaction Score
I would love for Paige's representation to do some back channel communications to maneuver a Mystics draft or trade on that night to the Mystics. They instantly become a contender with Paige and a healthy Delle Donne. Sykes is a good SG but she isn't a PG.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Dalla is a poorly managed team from the owner to the front office to the head coach. Worst possible place for Paige to go.

Arike is a gunner - old term for a volume shooter. She is not an asset nor is she a star. She needs to be traded for Dallas to improve.

I would love to see Paige drafted by the Lynx.

Reaction Score
I would hate for Paige to go to Dallas for the reasons already mentioned. They play awful defense, and this is a team that has Natasha Howard (remember her). And bigs like Brown and McCowan. AO doesn’t play defense either. I doubt they would trade AO because the Clark-Mitchell 1-2 is doing great in Indy. Teams would love to duplicate that.
But, if Dallas gets the #1 pick, hopefully they trade AO and turn the “page” into a new era. Then bring in an experienced player with the trade or, solid support players if Dallas decides to go all-in on Paige and Satou

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom