Tank Wars | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tank Wars

Reaction Score
I think the W is going pull a "David Stern" and Paige lands in LA
That’s what I think. I don’t have a ton of trust in the lottery system. I find it hard to believe that Paige won’t land in Los Angeles.

Someone mentioned Minnesota trading for Paige. All I can do it laugh at the idea. Minnesota can’t afford Paige. I wouldn’t even accept a collier trade. Paige is the third most valuable asset in the league if she is healthy and performs the way we expect this season.

Reaction Score
I would hate for Paige to go to Dallas for the reasons already mentioned. They play awful defense, and this is a team that has Natasha Howard (remember her). And bigs like Brown and McCowan. AO doesn’t play defense either. I doubt they would trade AO because the Clark-Mitchell 1-2 is doing great in Indy. Teams would love to duplicate that.
But, if Dallas gets the #1 pick, hopefully they trade AO and turn the “page” into a new era. Then bring in an experienced player with the trade or, solid support players if Dallas decides to go all-in on Paige and Satou
Recommend trading AO to the Mercury. She could immediately fill Dee’s role as the technical foul leader. She would feel right at home with all of the team’s other technical foul leaders such as Cloud, Griner and Copper.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The only benefit with Paige going to Dallas in lieu of LA is that she would not be paying any state income tax in Dallas.

Reaction Score
The only good thing with Paige drafted by Dallas will be that i'll be able to watch her games live the whole season :) truth is that Dallas is going anywhere with AO...it's interesting that different players who played with AO became much better after leaving Dallas (Diggins, Marina M., Grey) and if Satu is not signing back with Dallas, the Wings are doomed for next season. It is crazy how such a talented team on paper under achieves year after year. If the Wings are so lucky to draft Paige, they'll have to trade AO and build around Paige and Satu.

Reaction Score
Dalla is a poorly managed team from the owner to the front office to the head coach. Worst possible place for Paige to go.

Arike is a gunner - old term for a volume shooter. She is not an asset nor is she a star. She needs to be traded for Dallas to improve.

I would love to see Paige drafted by the Lynx.
Agreed! Arike, while a great scorer, is absolutely poison to any kind of team concept. She is a volume shooter who needs the ball in order to impact the game. She might score 35 on consecutive nights but one
night might be 9 for 32 while another might be 11 for 27. When she gets the ball her first , second, and third option is to shoot it! She is capable of a high assist night but does not look for it. I doubt she will ever sniff a championship and have to wonder if she would even want to be on a team that actually emphasized passing, ball movement, and defense! It is an indictment on the Wings organization that either they cannot recognize the inevitable outcome (mediocrity) of featuring this kind of player or that they just don’t really care about the quality of basketball they put on the floor as long as the fans keep buying tickets!
I hope Paige does not end up on that kind of team!

Reaction Score
Don't think that is possible. If a player coming from college is expected to be supremely elite, there is imo near no chance to trade for that player. In hoop, one player, a defining player to your franchise, means so much.
hoophuskee- - -Never say never!
If MN and Reeve wants to put together a package of draft choices and players Dallas might jump at that deal!
Again IMHO!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Something I saw a while back (before this WNBA season started) was Linx HC Cheryl Reeve was interviewed in MN and one of the questions asked if she could would she draft Paige Bueckers, a MN native, if she had the chance? She answered, "I can't talk about college players before their graduation, but then again, my Mother didn't raise any fools! Any UConn player is pro ready!"
Don't be surprised if Cheryl traded with whoever gets the #1 pick to get Paige!
Paige would be a huge draw back home in MN! As Clark is in Indiana!

Zero chance of anyone being foolish enough to trade #1 overall for anyone on Minnesota. Only Collier would be a viable trade option, and that obviously isn't happening.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
LA would be the preferred landing spot. They have a head coach with a solid track record and great rookies to build around in Brink/Jackson, plus a very good veteran PF in Hamby. Paige would fit in perfectly here assuming she's playing PG in the pros (which she hasn't been playing at UCONN).

Washington has some nice talent and a good base to build around including Austin/Atkins/Edwards and Sykes. Questionable coaching In Thibault, but I think she'd be a good fit here.

Dallas is the one people clearly want her to avoid due to their lack of development regarding rookies the last 4 years, plus a dislike/concern of Arike who is a ball dominant player and volume shooter. I don't think this is an ideal landing spot, but I also don't hate it for Paige. Dallas has some nice talent and I think Paige could be the straw that stirs the drink here and takes the Wings to the next level. Especially if they can keep Satou who was 1st Team All WNBA a year ago. They were 22-18 a year ago, and Arike is a capable and willing passer but will need to clean up shot selection and spread the offense around for Dallas to get to the next level. Can it happen? Time will tell.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Zero chance of anyone being foolish enough to trade #1 overall for anyone on Minnesota. Only Collier would be a viable trade option, and that obviously isn't happening.
Paige is a generational player that will supercharge ticket sales and make any team she plays on better. I don’t believe any trade is off limits, including Pheesa.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Just to play devil's advocate, didn't people say some of the same things about Kelsey Mitchell as they are saying about Ogunbowale? She has absolutely thrived playing next to Clark, posting a career high scoring average while also the best shooting % of her career. It's just possible that putting a top notch guard next to Arike could help her be more efficient.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Something I saw a while back (before this WNBA season started) was Linx HC Cheryl Reeve was interviewed in MN and one of the questions asked if she could would she draft Paige Bueckers, a MN native, if she had the chance? She answered, "I can't talk about college players before their graduation, but then again, my Mother didn't raise any fools! Any UConn player is pro ready!"
Don't be surprised if Cheryl traded with whoever gets the #1 pick to get Paige!
Paige would be a huge draw back home in MN! As Clark is in Indiana!
Minnesota has the second best record in the W, so they will not give up multiple players to get Paige. I'm sure she would like to, but not going to happen.

Reaction Score
LA would be the preferred landing spot. They have a head coach with a solid track record and great rookies to build around in Brink/Jackson, plus a very good veteran PF in Hamby. Paige would fit in perfectly here assuming she's playing PG in the pros (which she hasn't been playing at UCONN).
Paige would make any team better whether she plays pg or sg. Incidentally she has played pg at UCONN.
Any team she goes to- they are better regardless wherever she plays.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Paige is a generational player that will supercharge ticket sales and make any team she plays on better. I don’t believe any trade is off limits, including Pheesa.
I believe tht a trade can be made but Pheesa won't be included in any of them. If any trade happens with Minnesota it'll be a bunch of first round picks and some players, which will actually bring Minny close to being a super team, the only way it happens is if Pheesa demands to be traded. Imo.

Reaction Score
I dislike AO immensely too. And I wasn't saying AO was a great player. When I mentioned "measurement" I meant vs all players.

I will say this about AO, she beat us twice I think in NCAA's and she won a title. When I 1st watched her play against us as a frosh I didn't think she'd be very good. I don't like scorers that aren't efficient. With that said she is a scorer in which Paige would definitely help AO's efficiency. I hate ND but they were a winner that she was a part of. I just can't get out of my head her commit to ND while making a snide comment regarding UCONN and her cheap shot on Muhl late in the regular season game in which the game was already decided.

It was Dangerfield not Muhl unless Muhl is another incident.

Dallas could trade AO for a post and draft both Bueckers and Fudd.

Reaction Score
It was Dangerfield not Muhl unless Muhl is another incident.

Dallas could trade AO for a post and draft both Bueckers and Fudd.
Dallas doesn’t have two first round picks. It only has one, but it is the better of its own pick or Chicago’s.

But in effect, its chances of getting the number one pick is the sum of its own chances and Chicago’s.

Others in this thread have described Paige’s options to avoid Dallas if Dallas were to effectively get the first pick.

But should Dallas effectively get the 2nd or 3rd pick, would Azzi decide to wait another year? (and earn her Master’s degree and fine tune her game for the pros)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
hoophuskee- - -Never say never!
If MN and Reeve wants to put together a package of draft choices and players Dallas might jump at that deal!
Again IMHO!
When I thought about Paige as a pro, I always envisioned her in Minnesota. She would be a local hero. But, now as I think about it, the marketing opportunities for her in LA are significant. When I thought about Paige as a pro, I always envisioned her in Minnesota. She would be a local hero. But, now as I think about it, the marketing opportunities for her in LA are significant. I believe she may already have a relationship with prominent UConn booster, and all-around good guy, Marc D'Amelio. Being in LA would facilitate that relationship which likely helps them both.

Reaction Score
I mentioned this subject in a different thread months ago and no one commented. Now that the wnba season is over it becomes a reality. There is no way that I would want to see Paige playing in Dallas. In my post back then I mentioned that she should come back if picked by the Wings. But let’s see what supposedly the ping pong balls do. Maybe a Patrick Ewing will come out. There is going to be a lot of player movement over the next few years. I believe each team is allowed to protect 7 players in the expansion draft. But deals are made between teams so that can save or hold onto players. Would LA even be in the conversation if Brink didn’t get hurt. Or if Washington’s DellaDonne didn’t decide to take a year off. Maybe it’s time that the league goes back to how it started. Designate a player to a team for the next four seasons. That gives the expansion teams a core player right from the get-go. Four teams are coming into the league. Place Beckers in Goldon State. Nexts years Player of the Year goes to Toronto. Followed by Portland the year after. Whatever city is lucky enough to be fourth in line gets the final assured placement player. Since Houston wants a team maybe Dallas can relocate there. Then the WNBA can go back to the ping ball system.

Reaction Score
I mentioned this subject in a different thread months ago and no one commented. Now that the wnba season is over it becomes a reality. There is no way that I would want to see Paige playing in Dallas. In my post back then I mentioned that she should come back if picked by the Wings. But let’s see what supposedly the ping pong balls do. Maybe a Patrick Ewing will come out. There is going to be a lot of player movement over the next few years. I believe each team is allowed to protect 7 players in the expansion draft. But deals are made between teams so that can save or hold onto players. Would LA even be in the conversation if Brink didn’t get hurt. Or if Washington’s DellaDonne didn’t decide to take a year off. Maybe it’s time that the league goes back to how it started. Designate a player to a team for the next four seasons. That gives the expansion teams a core player right from the get-go. Four teams are coming into the league. Place Beckers in Goldon State. Nexts years Player of the Year goes to Toronto. Followed by Portland the year after. Whatever city is lucky enough to be fourth in line gets the final assured placement player. Since Houston wants a team maybe Dallas can relocate there. Then the WNBA can go back to the ping ball system.

Ping Pong balls?? The "lottery drawing" is held behind closed doors without witnesses. If there was a drum filled with balls we would have seen it.
Would you buy a lottery ticket if the drawing was done by 2 people alone in a room?

Reaction Score
Ping Pong balls?? The "lottery drawing" is held behind closed doors without witnesses. If there was a drum filled with balls we would have seen it.
Would you buy a lottery ticket if the drawing was done by 2 people alone in a room?
Cam I be one of the 2

Reaction Score
I mentioned this subject in a different thread months ago and no one commented. Now that the wnba season is over it becomes a reality. There is no way that I would want to see Paige playing in Dallas. In my post back then I mentioned that she should come back if picked by the Wings.
I'm not in agremement with this as I've previously mentioned. All her life she's been elite of elite. If she is healthy - it's time to move on and meausre oyurslef against teh best-of-the-best. All her lfie she has been a vicious competitor. . This year imo was a lot about preservation of her knee (along with ofc a title). After this year it's time to move on.

Reaction Score
If Paige were to take another year, which is her right, it would clog up the scholarship list.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom