Tamika Catchings... GOAT? | The Boneyard

Tamika Catchings... GOAT?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Any advanced stats where Maya and Stewie are not leaders is nuts.

Reaction Score
He says his definition of the GOAT is the player that helps his team win the most over the course of a career. That sounds like the greatest team contributor to me, not the greatest player. There is a difference. I never saw Catchings win a WNBA championship single handedly in the last game like I saw D. Even he admits that you would want D to have the ball for that last shot. Idiotic definition by him that he chose to justify his stats. Of course the Fever were so much better with her in the game, the team was never great. Take Maya out of the game with the Lynx when they were strong but leave everyone else in and the differential is not that great, but that doesn't mean Maya isn't great. Run this analysis on the NBA and let's see who you get. It's probably not Jordan or Kobe or Lebron. I bet it is Bill Russell who was the greatest team player of all time but at least he has the rings to prove it. Is Tamika on the All Time team? Yes, and maybe she would get the ball on that team sometimes if Sue and D passed it to her.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Why is this on the main UConn page?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
:eek:
Hmmmmm. Discuss.... :cool:

It's a clickbait article but does highlight how she has done more with less than any other player in the league's history. She led them to the playoffs 12 straight years without ever having another true standout on her team aside from Katie Douglas who had some very good years in Indiana but was only 2nd Team All WNBA one year while finishing up her career in Indiana. No WNBA player has meant more to their team's success over her career than Catchings. That said, while she is certainly in discussion as one of the best ever, I dont think many would peg her as THE best player of all time.

Reaction Score
Doesn't DT lead the league in points scored, 3 pointers, etc... I cannot even read something that I know is a falsehood
Maybe you should read the article. It makes the quite sensible point that leading in points scored isn't everything. You would probably wind up still thinking that D is the goat, but hopefully you would base it on more than point totals.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm not quite sure. Did Catchings ever lead her European teams to championships as well, or does D have those up on her as well? No one in their right mind will ever call Catchings anything less than one of this country's greatest WBB players, and as @msf22b said, along with being the latest member in WBB HOF, that should be enough

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Eh, these media folks are scraping the barrel during this sports drought.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
He says his definition of the GOAT is the player that helps his team win the most over the course of a career. That sounds like the greatest team contributor to me, not the greatest player. There is a difference. I never saw Catchings win a WNBA championship single handedly in the last game like I saw D. Even he admits that you would want D to have the ball for that last shot. Idiotic definition by him that he chose to justify his stats. Of course the Fever were so much better with her in the game, the team was never great. Take Maya out of the game with the Lynx when they were strong but leave everyone else in and the differential is not that great, but that doesn't mean Maya isn't great. Run this analysis on the NBA and let's see who you get. It's probably not Jordan or Kobe or Lebron. I bet it is Bill Russell who was the greatest team player of all time but at least he has the rings to prove it. Is Tamika on the All Time team? Yes, and maybe she would get the ball on that team sometimes if Sue and D passed it to her.

The 2014 title you refer to, DT's opponent was a 15-19 Chicago Sky team and the Mercury were up 2-0. DT made great plays and hit the clutch shot but it was far from a 1 woman show....even without Griner that game, the roster had Candice Dupree (who scored 24 that game), and Dewanna Bonner. And again, the opponent was flat out not very good while Phoenix was fantastic that year.

The article highlights how important Catchings was to her team's success, perhaps more than anyone else in the league's history. I personally dont think it makes her the best ever, but it is a valid argument the writer tries to make.

I know people have varying opinions on best WNBA player, but I don't think there is a cut and dry answer. On the men's side, it is almost universally Lebron or Jordan with some people throwing in other names like Russell, Kareem, and Kobe. On the women's side you can make really compelling cases for any of Cooper, Leslie, Swoopes, Jackson, Taurasi, or Moore. Plus you can throw in Catchings, Parker and Bird on the periphery.

Last edited:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Why is this on the main UConn page?

Very obviously because Taurasi is mentioned/compared throughout the article AND is widely considered (especially here) to be the GOAT.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Eh, these media folks are scraping the barrel during this sports drought.
Catch is being inducted into the WBB Hall of Fame. It’s appropriate to do retrospectives of players’ careers at this time.

Tamika Catchings is one of the finest players and human beings ever to step on a court. She represented herself and her teams with class and dignity. Is she the greatest of player of all times? Not my call but she certainly one of the few who deserves to be considered for that distinction.

I had the pleasure of meeting Tamika in Indianapolis in 2016. its hard to find a more gracious person. I congratulate her on the well deserved recognition in being inducted to the HOF

307196BF-F1B2-4EEF-A44B-2CA9746E2800.jpeg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maybe you should read the article. It makes the quite sensible point that leading in points scored isn't everything. You would probably wind up still thinking that D is the goat, but hopefully you would base it on more than point totals.
Of course we base it on more than point totals. D wins on intangibles as well. If points were what mattered to her she would have averaged 30+ a game for her career. But winning was more important so that's where she put her emphasis. She's the unquestioned GOAT and articles like these are a bit insulting for me.

Reaction Score
The 2014 title you refer to, DT's opponent was a 15-19 Chicago Sky team and the Mercury were up 2-0. DT made great plays and hit the clutch shot but it was far from a 1 woman show....even without Griner that game, the roster had Candice Dupree (who scored 24 that game), and Dewanna Bonner. And again, the opponent was flat out not very good while Phoenix was fantastic that year.

The article highlights how important Catchings was to her team's success, perhaps more than anyone else in the league's history. I personally dont think it makes her the best ever, but it is a valid argument the writer tries to make.

I know people have varying opinions on best WNBA player, but I don't think there is a cut and dry answer. On the men's side, it is almost universally Lebron or Jordan with some people throwing in other names like Russell, Kareem, and Kobe. On the women's side you can make really compelling cases for any of Cooper, Leslie, Swoopes, Jackson, Taurasi, or Moore. Plus you can throw in Catchings, Parker and Bird on the periphery.
One of the criteria has to be championships. The greatest ever in any sport should be great enough to lead his or her team to championships. That should be the first and most heavily weighted statistic examined. Of the names you mentioned on the men's side, Jordan had 6, Russell had 11, Kobe had 5, Kareem had 6, and Lebron has a paltry 3. Larry Bird also had 3. Who is the greatest quarterback ever? You instantly think of Brady, not because of his stats but because of his rings and what he did to get them. I agree with all you say about Tamika. She is a great person and role model and had to overcome a disability, who she incidentally gave a lot of credit to Pat Summit for, in order to succeed. On the All Time team yes, greatest no.

Reaction Score
Of course we base it on more than point totals. D wins on intangibles as well. If points were what mattered to her she would have averaged 30+ a game for her career. But winning was more important so that's where she put her emphasis. She's the unquestioned GOAT and articles like these are a bit insulting for me.

Don’t see how discussing whether a (deserving) player is the greatest ever is “insulting” to someone of a different opinion. DT as the “unquestioned” GOAT? Boneyarders are divided about whether she’s the greatest Husky. I think Willie Mays is the greatest baseball player ever. Not insulted if someone argues that the GOAT is Babe Ruth or Ted Williams. On the other hand, if they suggest that the GOAT is Dave Kingman, then I might be a little insulted.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
One of the criteria has to be championships. The greatest ever in any sport should be great enough to lead his or her team to championships. That should be the first and most heavily weighted statistic examined. Of the names you mentioned on the men's side, Jordan had 6, Russell had 11, Kobe had 5, Kareem had 6, and Lebron has a paltry 3. Larry Bird also had 3. Who is the greatest quarterback ever? You instantly think of Brady, not because of his stats but because of his rings and what he did to get them. I agree with all you say about Tamika. She is a great person and role model and had to overcome a disability, who she incidentally gave a lot of credit to Pat Summit for, in order to succeed. On the All Time team yes, greatest no.

I agree that championships matter a lot, that's the main reason I said she's on the periphery with Bird/Parker.

Counting championships isn't that cut and dry though in team sports. Lebron has "only" won 3 but led teams with varying skill to 9 straight finals appearances and likely would've gotten back there again this season if it wasnt for Covid. He was the centerpiece on all of those teams and several of those teams he didnt have a strong supporting cast. He balled out in almost of them and had no business making the finals several years. Kobe won 5, but Shaq was the marquee player for 3 of them. Kareem only had 1 until Magic came along, Jordan couldn't get anything going until Pippen developed into a star.

Basketball is a team sport and Catchings never had a Pippen where all of the other WNBA best ever contenders have had a Pippen or multiple Pippens.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Everyone leaves out Lauren Jackson who from the time she came into the WNBA until her last full year 2010 was among the top 3 if not the best.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Everyone leaves out Lauren Jackson who from the time she came into the WNBA until her last full year 2010 was among the top 3 if not the best.

I think Jackson is definitely a strong contender, she definitely gets a lot of respect on the Rebkell board. In basically a 10 year career she won 2 titles and 3 MVPs. Almost won a 4th in 2005 when she received the most #1 votes but barely lost (327-325) in overall points. And her team never had a losing record after her rookie season. Wish she couldve stayed healthy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom