TAM brings Zero newsspapers or TV people with them on the road | The Boneyard

TAM brings Zero newsspapers or TV people with them on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This year we had Stanford and they brought 1 writer and no TV...Last night, TAM had zero print or media folks with them. How in the world is WCBB going to grow when the Dallas newspapers talk Cowboys 365.........The schools need to invest in themselves and seek the local media outlets to support their programs. Most teams today fly charters and get very discounted hotels rates.......Why not pony up a few bucks and ride along with the team?

What are your thoughts........Presidents of the schools need to get involved, DMN, needs to get involved........Its not very hard......

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
Tennessee sends no one either. Summitt contributions help pay for Maria

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Tennessee sends no one either. Summitt contributions help pay for Maria

The Sentinel doesn't send Dan Flesar on the road? That's a shame because his work is excellent and worth reading.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
This year we had Stanford and they brought 1 writer and no TV...Last night, TAM had zero print or media folks with them. How in the world is WCBB going to grow when the Dallas newspapers talk Cowboys 365.........The schools need to invest in themselves and seek the local media outlets to support their programs. Most teams today fly charters and get very discounted hotels rates.......Why not pony up a few bucks and ride along with the team?

What are your thoughts........Presidents of the schools need to get involved, DMN, needs to get involved........Its not very hard......
I doubt most teams fly charters. Charters are usually reserved for the "you can't get there from here" teams. As a result, some teams will fly a lot of charters, some not so much. IIRC, Rutgers flew 2 charters in the regular season a couple of years back, one was to Knoxville.

Print media may be nice, but budget cutting has eliminated much of the traveling media. It is my understanding that even the pro teams in some cases have seriously reduced traveling contingents.

In many cases, local media do support teams - to the extent there is interest - but again budgets prevent road travel. We consider ourselves lucky at RU that the student station is committed to (and always has been) WBB and send radio announcers to Puerto Rico and Miami where there is no TV coverage.

I suspect there are certain restrictions to flying on a charter with the team, by the way.

Reaction Score
... Last night, TAM had zero print or media folks with them. How in the world is WCBB going to grow ...

I did spot what looked like Texas cowboys and a herd of cattle traveling north on a service road parallel to I-91 about 10 hours before the game on Tuesday ...

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score

Texas A&M is closer to Houston(94) than Dallas(181). Houston's media is kind of "different" anyways ;) (like yellow bus) JMO
You're still in the height of football season. No writer will leave this state for a girls basketball game.

Reaction Score
Don't know where you got that from, but A&M brought a substantial crew to broadcast the game on radio there. They were a few spots down the table from me.

Reaction Score
Don't know where you got that from, but A&M brought a substantial crew to broadcast the game on radio there. They were a few spots down the table from me.

You must be Bob or Kara from WTIC. I heard Bob make the above statement during the game broadcast last night. Nice to have you here!

Reaction Score
LOL, not either obviously, but my spot last night was across from UConn's bench, and the A&M radio team was right there. In fact, they interviewed Blair pre-game, which gave me the chance to introduce myself in person, since he has been on Dishin & Swishin a couple of times now. What a nice guy.

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score

The article in the Dallas News is from the Associated Press, as well as the 2 articles in the Houston Chronicle. If you wait a day or two a local writer may write something after the fact like they did last year with Baylor.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
There is no way Dallas would cover an A&M game that isn't in Texas. They hardly cover the ones IN Texas. The high school basketball coverage isn't bad, but the college stuff is abysmal.

I don't blame the media folks, though. DMN has had major layoffs in the past few years and I doubt they have the budget to send people up to Connecticut. Not to mention there just isn't the interest.

The Baylor game might get some press, though. Baylor is only about an hour away from Dallas and it should be a huge game, which means maybe a fourth-page article on page 17 of the Sports section. But only if the Cowboys' articles don't take up 18 pages. :)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I listened to parts of the A&M radio stream last night and they were definitely at the game. Not sure about any print sports reporters from Texas.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Since fans aren't willing to pay to read the coverage, why should media folks pay to provide it?
That is the stark reality of the news-providing business in this country in this age. Media have become more and ore frequently owned by entities that expect to make a profit on the news, and it's really cost us all a great deal in terms of quality of coverage. In terms of "real" news (i.e., not sports), it's meant fewer foreign bureaus, less investigative reporting, etc., and with regards to sports coverage, you're going to see analogs such as progressively less local coverage of anything but the most popular sports.

Having said that, what we have instead is more fragmented but in very depth coverage of all sorts of topics via Internet news sites, social networking, etc. So there are some advatanges, but I do mourn some of the things we've lost as well.

Reaction Score
Whatever happened to hiring a local writer and paying a nominal fee to have them write the piece from the visiting team's angle? I'm sure one of the locals could do it.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
They often do. Same story with an opponent slant.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Whatever happened to hiring a local writer and paying a nominal fee to have them write the piece from the visiting team's angle? I'm sure one of the locals could do it.

Well, hiring a local writer costs $ too. Maybe not many $, but these days $ are all that matters.

Plus, while you can get some coverage that way, it's not going to be a in-depth.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
That is the stark reality of the news-providing business in this country in this age. Media have become more and ore frequently owned by entities that expect to make a profit on the news, and it's really cost us all a great deal in terms of quality of coverage. In terms of "real" news (i.e., not sports), it's meant fewer foreign bureaus, less investigative reporting, etc., and with regards to sports coverage, you're going to see analogs such as progressively less local coverage of anything but the most popular sports.

Having said that, what we have instead is more fragmented but in very depth coverage of all sorts of topics via Internet news sites, social networking, etc. So there are some advatanges, but I do mourn some of the things we've lost as well.

That's a hope. When focused this way, information can be more in depth. Hey, BY is an example. The problem that can accompany this is that a single viewpoint -- a slanted one -- can come to dominate, and then a cohort becomes more and more convinced that viewpoint alone is 'true.' Information can become tribal. Not good for a functioning world, even if harmless in fandom.

Also, even if the Internet can fill a gap in traditional journalism, it's not going to keep people informed about things for which they have no particular interest, even if those things are very important in their society. How many people go to the Web to find out about the local issues in their community? Unless it's some hot button for them, extremely few. But, local issues can be very important to your daily life. Even worse, there are plenty of important local issues that won't even show up on the Web or in any of the new social media.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I often see articles written by John Altavilla of the Hartford Courant showing up in the LA Times, Chicago Tribune, Orlando Sentinel or other Tribune Company papers. I imagine with the dire straits in the publishing industry that this is where we're headed - large corporations with a presence in several regions that provide nationwide coverage.

Reaction Score
Maybe, you are all right and nobody outside of CT cares about WCBB like UCONN. Remember, we are the only deal in town and CT is a small state to cover from all 4 corners.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Maybe, you are all right and nobody outside of CT cares about WCBB like UCONN. Remember, we are the only deal in town and CT is a small state to cover from all 4 corners.
Tell that to the Norwich Bulletin. Of all the T major newspapers, Norwich is the closest geographically but the most likely to run an AP article the day after UConn plays a game in Storrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom