Talking in Turkey Tips? | The Boneyard

Talking in Turkey Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
So.... I don't know that I'll be using my phone a lot... I don't use it a lot in the States.... BUT I have parents of a certain age who might need to reach me (three of four use email, Mom doesn't) AND there will be times I'll need to connect to 'yarders in Turkey - either by phone or text.

Is getting a SIM card at the airport the best option? that seems like it gives you a local number. What happens if I have to call internationally? Or if I get international calls?

ATT has a plan for Turkey -- by the minute and number for text/calling.

I have a Samsung Galaxy mini.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The cheapest local and Inter-European cell usage would be by purchasing a SIM card in Turkey ... but are you going to be using it to call locally? And any messages/additions of money to the local plan will be in Turkish and very difficult for you to understand.
With ATT your phone will automatically work just about anywhere, but the costs of text messages and all calls will be expensive. Purchasing their country plan is not cheap, and the rates are still not what you are used to in the states, but if you use your phone for more than emergencies it will end up being cheaper than just using the international roaming rates.
It really is a usage question - emergency usage - just use the ATT international roaming - ten short calls and ten texts should be cheaper than paying for the Turkey plan from ATT - more than that and you are getting close to or going over the break-even point on their country plan.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have AT&T as well. I got 30 minutes for $30 (not a bargain, but my family appreciates it in case of an emergency) and 200 outgoing texts for another $30. Both plans run for 30 days, so they'll get me through 90% of my Italy trip next month too.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
If you have a smart phone and the others you need to contact have a smart phone too, download an APP called Viber. It allows free calling and texting to others, as long as you can get a WiFi signal. My friend used it last year when they went to Russia to watch the World University Games.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have Viber loaded as well and it works really well for send photos as well.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
First step, call ATT and tell them you will be in Turkey and that you need a plan for it.

As stated above, you can buy a package of voice and data for about $60.

Adjust your phone settings so that it doesn't refresh apps in the background.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
And I think I'm correct in saying you should turn off roaming.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Turn off cellular data too, unless you get a data plan. I opted not to.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
You all rock - confirming where I was leaning, but that confirmation makes me feel better.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
With ATT plan I think you need to keep cellular roaming turned on. For data - I am pretty sure you have to turn it on specifically when abroad but might be wrong. I traveled this summer for 2.5 months abroad and unfortunately ATT does their international plans by country or region - because I was starting in Japan and ending in Europe I would have had to buy four separate plans as I remember each at $30. I did all my data on WiFi - available for free in most hotels, restaurants, bars, etc. and just paid the roaming cost on texts and calls. It wasn't cheap but I think ended up a little cheaper than buying all the international plans. The problem with the international plans is you still pay per call and text on top of the registration.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Made it back to my hotel. The trip back was less adventuresome than the trip to Milford's 5-star hotel. My cab driver only had to stop and ask 5 times how to find 3-star but nonetheless charming hotel. Such is travel in the streets of Sultanahmet.

TJI -- as luck would have it, my hotel is literally across the street from the Seraglio. Great area of the city. See you Monday.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Here in Guate we use Skype. Costs like $13 a month for both outgoing calls and having a number in the u.s. which anyone can call without charge and which rings through to our computers. Generally very good quality. Was very good to have when United Airlines had me on hold for over three hours a while back!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks for coming! I'm glad you made it back safely and quickly.

I lucked out on my hotel. :) I need to find out if a team is staying here. I would not be surprised. I'll research the 'hood too.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Greetings from the Mediterranean coast of Turkey... In the middle of a trip to Priene - Miletus - Didya... Seeing lots of stones in all sorts of ancient formations... No crowds... The weather is HOT!!!

The misses and I arrived in Turkey on the 20th. I started looking for news in papers and on TV about the tournament right away... There has been nothing... No articles, no commercials on TV promoting it. No interviews... It must be the best kept secret in all of Turkey. I cannot believe the host has not spent anything to promote it. The Turks I have talked to are amazed that there is a world championship going to start this week in their own backyard. I am not sure it bodes well for the attendance...

Back to Istanbul on the 30th just in time for the play-in games...

If anyone is interested, here is a link to lots of pictures from the places we have been so far...

https://picasaweb.google.com/aribtro/SpiceMarketGrandBazaar

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
So, since we're going to turn this in to the Turkey Trip T-read... what does one tip the taxi from the airport? (In TL)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So, since we're going to turn this in to the Turkey Trip T-read... what does one tip the taxi from the airport? (In TL)
We went to the arena tonight and I had to force a 5 TL tip on the cabbie (for a 25 TL fare).

Standard Istanbul math appears to be that you give someone 20 TL for a 20 TL item and you get 5-10 TL back. We can't figure it out.

Your fare from Ataturk should be about 30 TL.

Reaction Score
Greetings from the Mediterranean coast of Turkey... In the middle of a trip to Priene - Miletus - Didya... Seeing lots of stones in all sorts of ancient formations... No crowds... The weather is HOT!!!

The misses and I arrived in Turkey on the 20th. I started looking for news in papers and on TV about the tournament right away... There has been nothing... No articles, no commercials on TV promoting it. No interviews... It must be the best kept secret in all of Turkey. I cannot believe the host has not spent anything to promote it. The Turks I have talked to are amazed that there is a world championship going to start this week in their own backyard. I am not sure it bodes well for the attendance...

If anyone is interested, here is a link to lots of pictures from the places we have been so far...

Wonderful Pictures, thanks for posting them. You selected the very things I wanted to see. Makes me want to go to Turkey

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

Are you sure you are not an advance scout for Amazing Race?? Looks just like one of those places they drop off the racers to find some obscure ingredient and haul it some odd place. The pictures are amazing.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score

10 tl. 5 tl for bellhop if used...

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Sitting in scenic JFK... Flight is delayed an hour... so far....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom