Talk to me about replacing windows... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Talk to me about replacing windows...

Reaction Score
I need to replace a bunch of windows in the house I'm renovating with inserts. I'll do the installation myself and probably put in new trim inside and out while I'm at it. Energy-efficiency is a must even if it means more $. Not afraid to spend some money since we'll be living here for 30 years or more.

Window guys are like used car salesman, so I'm coming to the yard.

Any advice? Brands? Wood vs Aluminum clad vs vinyl clad?

Reaction Score
This is super helpful--40% is more than I would have expected.

I've heard that about the Andersen/Pella etc. at Home Depot. I'm looking to avoid and ideally use a local company even if it's a bit more expensive.

Yep - not sure everyone’s margins are the same, but all of those people have plenty of room to haggle. If they funnel the only objection to their business to price, you can definitely work them. They’ll prob do the whole “I need to call my manager for that low of a price” thing, when they know exactly how low they can go lol.

Reaction Score
Yep - not sure everyone’s margins are the same, but all of those people have plenty of room to haggle. If they funnel the only objection to their business to price, you can definitely work them. They’ll prob do the whole “I need to call my manager for that low of a price” thing, when they know exactly how low they can go lol.

I'm assuming they wouldn't negotiate as much if I'm buying a couple of them at a time? I can't imagine having 10-15-20 new construction windows sitting in my garage at once and not being strangled in my sleep by my wife.

Reaction Score
I'm assuming they wouldn't negotiate as much if I'm buying a couple of them at a time? I can't imagine having 10-15-20 new construction windows sitting in my garage at once and not being strangled in my sleep by my wife.
U may want to think about that again. Even if u can’t install them all at once, buying them might make sense. there is no guarantee a window u buy now will be identical in a year or two.. manufacturing changes.

if u must do it this way at least do an entire side of the house at once

Reaction Score
Since we are talking windows, I have two or three windows in my house that have developed a film/cloudiness on the inside of the window. On one I can barely see outside - I assume it’s a faulty/bad seal but not entirely sure. Do I need to replace these windows or is there a way to fix?

Windows are vinyl.

Thanks!

Reaction Score

I’d assume a company like that wants to do installation as well.

Reaction Score
We just had our windows replaced. We went with Harvey and we hired a contractor (neighbor) to install them. Wasn't as straightforward as you would think as there had been additions put on so the windows/frames/sills were not all the same.

I didn't see anybody mention it in the thread, but there are some options that you can get with the windows like the type of glass (do you want to block UV or let it through?) and screens (mesh and type). We got the FlexScreen screens which are super easy to put on, take off, and replace.

Reaction Score
In 2021 we replaced 20 windows with Pella triple pane. It was expensive but they were having a BOGO sale and it cost us US$25K. They're great but I shudder to think what it would cost today.

Reaction Score
Look for these values; numerous websites give a range for great and mimum exceptable values for your region.

.04 Air infiltration (Sometimes called air leakage)
.21 u (U-Factor is how well window insulates)
.26 SHGC (Solar Heat Gain Efficiency)
.45 VT (Visual Transmittance for how much light the glass allows through)

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Thats what happened to me also. I looked at the 200 series and my wife didn't like the visible welds in the corners. So for our home we went with the 300 series with no visible seams. Was more expensive, but they are nicer to look at everyday.
Unfortunately, I read the 300 series is discontinued.

Reaction Score
Less-than-exciting update, but what the heck.

Uncle (the contractor) came over yesterday and took a look. We're going new construction as expected. He said only idiots put in replacement windows, lol. But he's also done this for 40 years and is a little grumpy at this point. New construction and going with a clad window. Ordering a bunch at once and keeping the overflow in my parents basement. He offered to do the order and negotiate price and such for me so that takes a lot of the stress out of it for me (thanks Uncle J).

The first couple of windows will probably take me all day to get the hang of and the others I should be able to get down to a few hours (apparently... I have my doubts). So I'm expecting most of my July will be dedicated to windows and doors.

Thanks for the advice folks! I'll probably be back in a month questions about flooring and drywalling since those are going to be my other two big projects left.

Reaction Score
Less-than-exciting update, but what the heck.

Uncle (the contractor) came over yesterday and took a look. We're going new construction as expected. He said only idiots put in replacement windows, lol. But he's also done this for 40 years and is a little grumpy at this point. New construction and going with a clad window. Ordering a bunch at once and keeping the overflow in my parents basement. He offered to do the order and negotiate price and such for me so that takes a lot of the stress out of it for me (thanks Uncle J).

The first couple of windows will probably take me all day to get the hang of and the others I should be able to get down to a few hours (apparently... I have my doubts). So I'm expecting most of my July will be dedicated to windows and doors.

Thanks for the advice folks! I'll probably be back in a month questions about flooring and drywalling since those are going to be my other two big projects left.
Good luck! Hope it’s a piece of cake for you.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score

Back in the day I pressed clients to restore windows. I added weather stripping details , custom removable storm windows, sash locks, etc.

Those details cost more than Marvin inserts in the long run and left my clients with lots more maintenance, twice yearly chore of dealing with and storing the storm windows, and no bug screens so they could keep their wavy bullet glass.

After I changed the windows in a house built in 1840 (antique double hungs with triple track aluminum storm windows) at the clients insistence, they told me their oil usage was instantly cut by 33% . The mustiness in the house cleared very quickly as well since no windows had been opened in the house for decades.

As a restoration contractor people ask if feel like I’m violating history. Honestly, IDC. IMO, homes are restored by creating happy homeowners.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom