Talk me out of talking myself into 7 wins | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Talk me out of talking myself into 7 wins

Reaction Score
Edsall has a history of having very good college DEs. At this point in his second stint I trust he has people in place that resemble those players of his first time here like KJones, Watts, DeVaughn, NHarris, McCarthy etc. I appreciated Caleb Thomas's time and efforts here but he will be replaced by someone the size of Kendall Reyes next to Jones at DT. There is now an adequate amount of depth at the this position. Linebacker and secondary play will benefit from the DL improvement.
Mitchell is very good, Morgan is solid here too but depth might be an issue. Hope they stay healthy. As far as the secondary, just my opinion but I think we will see improved tackling as those that had issues in this regard are no longer here.

Reaction Score
I love how everyone assumes beating Vanderbilt. You realize they went 0-9 against an all SEC schedule right? They had close losses to Kentucky and A&M. I'm not saying they're a good team, but at best that game is 50/50.

Reaction Score
I tend to agree about the SEC...and that is why a one loss SEC team just might be a better candidate for a playoff than a undefeated MAC Champ.

Reaction Score
I love how everyone assumes beating Vanderbilt. You realize they went 0-9 against an all SEC schedule right? They had close losses to Kentucky and A&M. I'm not saying they're a good team, but at best that game is 50/50.

Reaction Score
I don’t know that everyone is assuming a win over Vandy. Merely pointing out that they aren’t that good SEC or no SEC. A bad team losing to a good team doesn’t make them good. That’s what you and all the computer geeks don’t understand. And it’s why strength of schedule is such a bogus variable. It overrated pretty good teams who play in good leagues and particularly it over rates bad teams who play good schedules. A1 win SEC team is a bad team. The fact that they lost to Alabama and Georgia doesn’t make them any better. Bottom line is this. Vandy is a bad team. Probably the most beatable P5 on the schedule. Most beatable does not equal sure win though.

Reaction Score
I think we have a SOLID chance to outpoint Vandy this go round. We SHOULD be a better unit, considering all the changes that went on @ Vandy... (new coaching staff and all)... It takes time (normally) for teams like that to get things moving in the right direction.

Only team I can remember that actually started out not so good, but when they had a coaching change it got the train rolling... and even after a few more HC changes (those coaches left and signed with bigger programs) is UCF... Remember how we kicked their tails that year, then once they got the new staff in place under Scott Frost it quickly turned around, then they've been kicking our tails all around the field (we got it completely wrong with our HC hires) ever since...

If Vandy has that type of change then we might be in trouble.... I just don't think it'll happen that fast for them in year 1.

Reaction Score
Best chance to beat Vandy is controlling the clock by running the ball and keeping defense off the field. Vandy is soft in their front 7.

Their offense should be able to score at will on us, however. Solid QB, return most of their receivers, and former freshman all American running back from temple transferred in.

I can’t see this being a very close game.

Reaction Score
Best chance to beat Vandy is controlling the clock by running the ball and keeping defense off the field. Vandy is soft in their front 7.

Their offense should be able to score at will on us, however. Solid QB, return most of their receivers, and former freshman all American running back from temple transferred in.

I can’t see this being a very close game.
scoring at will on us means our D is the same as it was the last few years we played. IF that's the case then Edsall's done... I just can't see us playing D like that though when we get started back up again... Can't get any worse, no matter if we missed a season playing... I just won't accept that type of mediocrity coming back from a year off to get in better shape...

Reaction Score
Until they prove us doubters wrong, UConn is at best a mid level FCS quality team. People think that they have a chance against Vandy? Dream on. As they say, not in the same league. Not even in the same division.

Reaction Score
Until they prove us doubters wrong, UConn is at best a mid level FCS quality team. People think that they have a chance against Vandy? Dream on. As they say, not in the same league. Not even in the same division.

Painful, but true. However, I will not put it past this staff to have groomed some monsters over the last two years. Randy knows talent and athleticism and conditioning/strength have been a hallmark of Edsall teams. I have some hope that this year is a pleasant surprise.

Reaction Score
Half the battle is motivation and this team is more motivated then the last 3 years to get some wins. I think we surprise a few!
They are more motivated and more talented and physically mature than they've been in quite a while. Beating Vandy is certainly not out of the question.

This team is going to surprise people, no one is expecting much based on the past few years. That's fine.

Reaction Score
They are more motivated and more talented and physically mature than they've been in quite a while. Beating Vandy is certainly not out of the question.

This team is going to surprise people, no one is expecting much based on the past few years. That's fine.
Now THIS is what we need to hear here...

Reaction Score
And really building a football team the way Edsall does it is not linear. He pretty much cleaned house though nobody wants to say that out loud. I don’t know if it will work. I think it will. The missed season allowed him to do it without consequences I think too

Reaction Score
And really building a football team the way Edsall does it is not linear. He pretty much cleaned house though nobody wants to say that out loud. I don’t know if it will work. I think it will. The missed season allowed him to do it without consequences I think too
His methods work if the administration and donors have patience to let Edsall build his team. He did at Maryland precisely what they wanted him to do. And that was clean up the program from the previous staff. I fully believe if his last year wasn't plagued by injuries, he'd still be at Maryland right now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
His methods work if the administration and donors have patience to let Edsall build his team. He did at Maryland precisely what they wanted him to do. And that was clean up the program from the previous staff. I fully believe if his last year wasn't plagued by injuries, he'd still be at Maryland right now.
I hope you are right. He's had four years this go round. Time to show us something.

Reaction Score
I hope you are right. He's had four years this go round. Time to show us something.
Look at Edsall's first 5 years at UConn and compare that to his second go around, and you'll see it's pretty much an identical path. Obviously wins and losses are different because the worst AAC team is better than the entire Yankee Conference.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Well that and moving to the Big 10. Honestly the ACC is a step below the Big 10 with the obvious exception of Clemson. But he had them heading in the right direction.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Well that and moving to the Big 10. Honestly the ACC is a step below the Big 10 with the obvious exception of Clemson. But he had them heading in the right direction.
The last year he had something like 3 QB's go down for the season and had another position player at QB. But moving the Big 10 shortened his leash so it was win or go.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom