Taliek II | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Taliek II

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Taliek is controversial because he came in highly advertised and was in some regards a disappointment, but still a good player. So you've got people who were disappointed with Taliek (most of whom were still supportive of him) and people who are critical of the people for being critical. Then people dig in their trenches and the critics tend to criticize more and the defenders tend to defend more. And on and on.

I can't say there's much that's controversial about Jamal Coombs-McDaniel. He played a couple good games, whined a lot, and split. I thank him for his contribution -- he looked like an All-American for 2 games and had that awesome offensive rebound in the BET -- and wish him well. I think we're all pretty much on the same page.

Reaction Score
nomar, I was always of the belief anyone who was not supportive of Taliek should have been banned from the Boneyard during that FF run.........shame on you!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
There are few things I despise more about the internet than how it has led to the rise of the use of the word "hater" to describe people who offer up a minimum amount of criticism of someone or something (which is I guess Waq's original point).

Posters "loved to hate" Taliek? That is so ridiculous. I suppose I "loved to hate" Taliek because I didn't think he was very good? He had 7 turnovers in our Final Four game with Duke. Does pointing that out make me a "hater"? Apparently. I like the kid. Seemed like a nice guy. Played hard for us. Wasn't bad. I just don't think he was a very good player. That's an opinion, which I've stated on numerous occasions. I didn't wage a campaign to destroy his reputation.

I tell you what set this off. I called some posters haters (not directly) and Waquoit thought I was talking about him. I pointed out that I wasn't talking about him at all.

Who did I call a hater?

The people who were on the board knocking Ollie two weeks ago--and then were not heard from again. They didn't show up here at all for 2 weeks and 4 wins. In fact, there were a great many posters who specifically said that they were not in Ollie's corner, but he was doing a good job, and they were much more inclined now. Good on all of them. Good on the people that still were criticizing Ollie. so who did I call haters? The people who turned up after the first loss, and added their two cents! They were nowhere to be found for 2 weeks.

I even said that in my post, so I fail to see how Waquoit miscontrued it. He shouldn't have, at least not enough to start a new thread.

Reaction Score
taliek was a boss, sure his play annoyed me sometimes but i could never really get mad at someone who played so hard and with that much heart

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I tell you what set this off. I called some posters haters (not directly) and Waquoit thought I was talking about him. I pointed out that I wasn't talking about him at all.

Who did I call a hater?

The people who were on the board knocking Ollie two weeks ago--and then were not heard from again. They didn't show up here at all for 2 weeks and 4 wins. In fact, there were a great many posters who specifically said that they were not in Ollie's corner, but he was doing a good job, and they were much more inclined now. Good on all of them. Good on the people that still were criticizing Ollie. so who did I call haters? The people who turned up after the first loss, and added their two cents! They were nowhere to be found for 2 weeks.

I even said that in my post, so I fail to see how Waquoit miscontrued it. He shouldn't have, at least not enough to start a new thread.

To me a "hater" is someone who is so full of anger that he would rather see a player (or a coach, I guess) on the team he roots for fail, just to be proven "right." A small minority of irritating people meet that description. I don't really understand it. Hey, two years ago I said something like "Lamb's gonna be really good but he's not going to really help us this season." That crow tasted delicious.

Reaction Score
To me a "hater" is someone who is so full of anger that he would rather see a player (or a coach, I guess) on the team he roots for fail, just to be proven "right." A small minority of irritating people meet that description. I don't really understand it. Hey, two years ago I said something like "Lamb's gonna be really good but he's not going to really help us this season." That crow tasted delicious.

Then the people I called haters meet your definition. Incapable of enjoying Ollie's successes, they pipe up as soon as he fails.

Reaction Score
There were 3 NYC point guards on the cover of S.I. and Taliek was the only one who won a NC.

Reaction Score
There were 3 NYC point guards on the cover of S.I. and Taliek was the only one who won a NC.

But the other 2 had stories in their issues about them right?? Who were they??

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
ea3.gif

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
But the other 2 had stories in their issues about them right?? Who were they??

Cook (talented, but no thanks) and Barrett (terrific).

Reaction Score
Cook (talented, but no thanks) and Barrett (terrific).

Wow 3 similar stories when you think about it.........not quite living up to expectations. Barrett was almost thought to be ours at one time right?

Reaction Score
Wow 3 similar stories when you think about it.........not quite living up to expectations. Barrett was almost thought to be ours at one time right?

I thought Barrett was #3 that year of the NYC trio. I am almost positive UConn went after someone else first, was turned down, then offered Taliek before Barrett.

I think it was Mustafa Shakur, but my memory may be failing me.

I think this was UConn's list:

1. Shakur
2. Taliek
3. Barrett

Reaction Score
Shakur came later. The top PG in that class was Duhon, but I don't think we lasted very long on his list (Jay Williams, yes - but Duhon I don't think we were in the picture). Marcus Taylor was highly rated too, but a Lansing kid who was all but locked up for Michigan State, even though we might have sent him a letter (we also tried for Kelvin Torbert, and "settled" for Gordon, the next year). The other guy I think we were involved with a little bit was Imari Sawyer, who went to DePaul. No great loss there.

Reaction Score
Shakur came later. The top PG in that class was Duhon, but I don't think we lasted very long on his list (Jay Williams, yes - but Duhon I don't think we were in the picture). Marcus Taylor was highly rated too, but a Lansing kid who was all but locked up for Michigan State, even though we might have sent him a letter (we also tried for Kelvin Torbert, and "settled" for Gordon, the next year). The other guy I think we were involved with a little bit was Imari Sawyer, who went to DePaul. No great loss there.

If Shakur was in that 2001 class, he was definitely UConn's first pick. In fact, I think they were on Shakur as a Soph. or Junior. I remember the Boneyard discussing Shakur for well over a year before he picked Arizona.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I tell you what set this off. I called some posters haters (not directly) and Waquoit thought I was talking about him. I pointed out that I wasn't talking about him at all....I even said that in my post, so I fail to see how Waquoit miscontrued it. He shouldn't have, at least not enough to start a new thread.

FWIW, I knew you weren't talking about me. But I don't know why that matters. You called those critical of Ollie "haters" and it reminded me of the Taliek situation way back when. Ollie's almost 40. He's a man, it's OK to be critical of him without his supporters going DEFCON One. I mean I got both barrels for saying he was outcoached by Moore. Was that such a slam? I saw it as a compliment of Moore. But the critic has to give a reason for the criticism, not just say something like he sucks. Then one can refute or support, that's the game on a message board.

Reaction Score
FWIW, I knew you weren't talking about me. But I don't know why that matters. You called those critical of Ollie "haters" and it reminded me of the Taliek situation way back when. Ollie's almost 40. He's a man, it's OK to be critical of him without his supporters going DEFCON One. I mean I got both barrels for saying he was outcoached by Moore. Was that such a slam? I saw it as a compliment of Moore. But the critic has to give a reason for the criticism, not just say something like he sucks. Then one can refute or support, that's the game on a message board.

Show me my quote. I guarantee you I referenced the people who didn't post at all through the wins and only piped up when UConn lost. I'm sorry, but those are haters in my book.

Reaction Score
What is it with the Boneyard and point guards that can't shoot? Like with Taliek, we have a faction forming with Ollie boosters that feel that their guy can never be criticized. And by criticized, I mean spoken about with anything less than a 100% rave. And like Taliek, my issue isn't with Ollie it's with the those who go overboard, the one's that piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. Pardon my indugence, but for my own self-discipline, I'm stating here that I'm getting off the train. Que sera, sera.
Not sure I get the Taliek reference. He couldn't shoot and I never liked him as a player. Going overboard is what happens on the Boneyard and you have been around long enough to know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom