Taliek Brown gets assistant coaching job at Iona | The Boneyard

Taliek Brown gets assistant coaching job at Iona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That is a tremendous move for him.

Being an assistant for Pitino opens some doors down the road - I am not a huge fan of RP, but he works to help his assistants’ careers.

Could not happen to a better guy as well.

Reaction Score
I’m happy for him, but I hate to see him go. I wonder if Dan will bring in another husky alum to fill that position.
Maybe elevate Mamadou Diarra to that position? He has a lot less experience than Taliek but what exactly does the Director of Player Development do that Diarra couldn't do? His brother is on the team so you can't get much closer to a "strong personal relationship" than that. :)

Brown has close interaction with the UConn student-athletes, building strong personal relationships with them, while initiating and participating in off-court activities that teach and develop life skills. He also supervises the graduate assistants for the men's program.

Reaction Score
I’m happy for him, but I hate to see him go. I wonder if Dan will bring in another husky alum to fill that position.
Considering he's only had UConn alums occupy the role thus far (Freeman and Taliek) I bet he does.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Maybe elevate Mamadou Diarra to that position? He has a lot less experience than Taliek but what exactly does the Director of Player Development do that Diarra couldn't do?

Nothing.

It really is the entry level of entry levels - it’d be a good starting point for a guy coming off a student assistant role.

Reaction Score
Maybe elevate Mamadou Diarra to that position? He has a lot less experience than Taliek but what exactly does the Director of Player Development do that Diarra couldn't do?

Brown has close interaction with the UConn student-athletes, building strong personal relationships with them, while initiating and participating in off-court activities that teach and develop life skills. He also supervises the graduate assistants for the men's program.

Amazing move for Taliek. If Mamadou gets that job, it would be well deserved, i also think DH will hire the best person for it as well.

Everything I’ve read re-Mamadou is the role he’s been serving in, he’s done a good job. Here’s to hoping that maybe he’s ready for an increase in responsibility

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It’s a great position for a former player (from any program), and there’s also the possibility of rearranging job titles/responsibilities to have everyone in the right spot on the staff.

On the first part, yes. On the second part, not really.

This isn’t really an on-court coaching job; it’s administrative.

It’s a catch-all position where they interface with every department that somehow touches the student athlete which makes it great for someone just starting. They do everything from making sure the players know their plays to making sure the players are getting to class, meeting their advisors, following the strength staff’s directives, etc. If a player has too many parking tickets, the player development guy is the one talking to the meter maid and the player to resolve it.

They won’t be reassigning any of the on-court coaches here.

Reaction Score
Pitino loves PGs.. TB knows the position.. Will be a great learning experience for Taliek re: learning how to communicate/coach... Pitino may have had a few slips in judgment along the way.. But he does know how to coach.
Congrats to one of my all-time favorites!

With former AAC grad transfers Tyson Jolly (SMU) and Elijah Joiner (Tulsa) graduating, TB can help usher in the next wave of guards in New Rochelle.

And they have a good group too:
  • Incumbent Walter Clayton Jr., 6'3 195 SO, 7.3p, 1.6a, 35.7 3p% in 16.1 mpg. Had 11 D1 offers out of HS, including three AAC schools (Tulsa, USF, ECU).
  • Incoming freshman Cruz Davis. 6'3 160. Was an Oregon State decommit. Offers from Houston, Georgetown, TCU and SMU. Currently ranked the #220 prospect of '22.
  • Transfer Anton Brookshire from Missouri, 6'1 170 SO, 8.9 mpg last season and the #167 prospect of '21.
  • JUCO transfer Daniss Jenkins, a 6'3 165 SR whose last D1 season was at Pacific where he averaged 12.2p, 2.1a, 1.2s and 46.2 2p% (but a poor 3p%).
For a MAAC school, that's a heck of a group of guards.

Reaction Score
On the first part, yes. On the second part, not really.

This isn’t really an on-court coaching job; it’s administrative.

It’s a catch-all position where they interface with every department that somehow touches the student athlete which makes it great for someone just starting. They do everything from making sure the players know their plays to making sure the players are getting to class, meeting their advisors, following the strength staff’s directives, etc. If a player has too many parking tickets, the player development guy is the one talking to the meter maid and the player to resolve it.

They won’t be reassigning any of the on-court coaches here.

What? Of course they aren’t assigning any of the current assistants to these responsibilities. I do know how these things work. I was referring to the other non-coaching positions. They will bring in someone new, but these positions can be somewhat flexible in what they cover, as evidenced by the random names they are given (DBO, Assistant DBO, Assistant Athletic Director for Men’s Basketball Operations, Director of Player Development, etc.).

Reaction Score
Idk what's happening with his playing career at the moment, but if I'm Hurley, I'm calling up Shabazz and seeing if he wants to transition into coaching. Shabazz had the highest basketball IQ of any player in UConn's history. I've always thought that he would be an excellent coach one day.

Reaction Score
Taliek has certainly paid his dues. As he hits 40 next month, it’s time he gets his chance. And if he wants to live back in his old Queens neighborhood, it’s a 30-minute commute to Iona’s New Roc campus. So happy for him.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Idk what's happening with his playing career at the moment, but if I'm Hurley, I'm calling up Shabazz and seeing if he wants to transition into coaching. Shabazz had the highest basketball IQ of any player in UConn's history. I've always thought that he would be an excellent coach one day.
I agree with the sentiment although until NIL collectives make it irrelevant asst coaching is 95% about recruiting ties

Reaction Score
I agree with the sentiment although until NIL collectives make it irrelevant asst coaching is 95% about recruiting ties
This position doesn't do any recruiting so that doesn't even matter

Hear me out:
Caron Butler. Only for 1 year as foot in..
Then takes an Associate HC role for 2 to 3 yrs
The maybe who knows :)
Caron ain't leaving his NBA coaching job to come back to college unless it was for a HC job. Even then, he might prefer to stay at that level

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
This position doesn't do any recruiting so that doesn't even matter

Caron ain't leaving his NBA coaching job to come back to college unless it was for a HC job. Even then, he might prefer to stay at that level
Oh I didn’t think you were implying that Shabazz would be interested in a non coaching staff position

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Amazing move for Taliek. If Mamadou gets that job, it would be well deserved, i also think DH will hire the best person for it as well.

Everything I’ve read re-Mamadou is the role he’s been serving in, he’s done a good job. Here’s to hoping that maybe he’s ready for an increase in responsibility
I think it’s really cool that Mamadou was a player from the previous regime and has found a very good spot for personal and professional growth under Hurley.

Obviously would love to see him take the next step in coaching anywhere he can, but would be cool if he continues to grow under DH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom