Taliek Brown a valuable resource to current UConn point guard Gilbert | The Boneyard

Taliek Brown a valuable resource to current UConn point guard Gilbert

Reaction Score
From the New London Day.

Hurley encouraged Brown to serve as a mentor to Gilbert.

"We've asked Taliek in practice — unfortunately, it probably took me a little bit too long — to have him spend a lot of time in his ear," Hurley said. "Kind of possession by possession, what did you see? What should you see? How do you lead?

"Because Taliek had a similar experience in terms of some struggles at different points. It wasn't all roses and parades and rainbows and unicorns for Taliek. He's done a really good job. ... Taliek is definitely someone for him to lean on."

Taliek Brown a valuable resource to current UConn point guard Gilbert

Reaction Score
You simply can't get better mentoring than from a national championship winning point guard who played pro ball for awhile. Great fit for the program.

Also a burger boy PG coming in with lofty expectations who felt the rath of our fan base.(Similar to AG a few games ago)

But now in hindsight I couldn’t think of a better director of player development for Hurleys team.

if AG can just lead us to a national championship as a senior that would fulfill the prophecy.

Reaction Score
What is Taleik’s role now that Hunter is back? Can he coach during practice?

Reaction Score
You simply can't get better mentoring than from a national championship winning point guard who played pro ball for awhile. Great fit for the program.
Taliek was also tough as nails. This is a group made of nice kids, Hurley wants them to show more toughness, Taliek is the perfect guy to teach that to the guards.

Reaction Score
What is Taleik’s role now that Hunter is back? Can he coach during practice?
I'm pretty sure he can't step onto a court with the players. Obviously he can talk to them off the court and go through film and stuff like that but he can't step between the lines to do any coaching.

Reaction Score
Taliek was also tough as nails. This is a group made of nice kids, Hurley wants them to show more toughness, Taliek is the perfect guy to teach that to the guards.

I agree, perfect replacement for Moore.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure he can't step onto a court with the players. Obviously he can talk to them off the court and go through film and stuff like that but he can't step between the lines to do any coaching.

Do you know the exact rule? Can he sit in the stands during practice? Or can he not even be in the gym?

Reaction Score
Do you know the exact rule? Can he sit in the stands during practice? Or can he not even be in the gym?
I tried searching for something but couldn't find anything. But in Taliek's bio there is this:

Brown has close interaction with the UConn student-athletes, building strong personal relationships with them, while initiating and participating in off-court activities that teach and develop life skills. He also supervises the graduate assistants for the men's program.

Reaction Score
As I remember, Talik had a propensity, like the Roadrunner-Coyote cartoons, to charge the basket and disappear in the dust cloud of bigs. Like AG.

Reaction Score
As I remember, Talik had a propensity, like the Roadrunner-Coyote cartoons, to charge the basket and disappear in the dust cloud of bigs. Like AG.
Your memory is faulty, Taliek had better height and great upper body strength that allowed him to absorb contact and finish well around the rim. Outside shooting was his Achilles heel but going to the rim was not a problem,

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Taliek has to be involved with on the court stuff too, even maybe dabbling in some recruiting? He owned and operated a fairly popular basketball skills training program in NY ‘Footprinz’ before coming here.

Reaction Score
Ricky is still out of work sadly following the Ollie dismissal and Miller allegations. He posted recently on FB about hoping to find another job and how Miller lied to NCAA investigators. I don’t feel bad at all for KO, for Ricky I do.

I felt bad for Ricky as well. Everyone landed on their feet but him. He was perfect for Gilbert as well.

Reaction Score
Taliek was fearless and coachable. It was too bad he never was able to develop a shot. His last 2 years, he was the shining example of a PG who knew his role. He knew they could win without his shot. He was a tenacious defender and a solid distributor. He didn't need any flash. He just go it done.

And it's not like he didn't ever hit a big shot. He had his moment in the BE tournament against Pitt. He sealed the win with a 3 from way, way down town. One of my top UConn basketball memories.

Reaction Score
Taliek was fearless and coachable. It was too bad he never was able to develop a shot. His last 2 years, he was the shining example of a PG who knew his role. He knew they could win without his shot. He was a tenacious defender and a solid distributor. He didn't need any flash. He just go it done.

And it's not like he didn't ever hit a big shot. He had his moment in the BE tournament against Pitt. He sealed the win with a 3 from way, way down town. One of my top UConn basketball memories.

Funny you speak of his lack of shooting and flash. Saw Taliek play in 2010 or so at the Greater Hartford Pro Am after he played about 5 years of pro ball. His shooting was much better and there was some flash. It was great to watch him do his thing as a seasoned veteran.

Reaction Score
God, we’re gonna need AG to stay for his senior year. He deserves to play in the big east. how great would that be having him lead us to a least a sweet 16 berth next year? Please stay AG !!!!

Reaction Score
God, we’re gonna need AG to stay for his senior year. He deserves to play in the big east. how great would that be having him lead us to a least a sweet 16 berth next year? Please stay AG !!!!

Alterique turns 23 next October. That's going to certainly play a role in his future plans. Cole is quite a scorer and averaged 6.8 assists last season. I am not at all worried about the PG position with Cole and Gaffney, who will develop.

Cole Bouk Jackson Akok and Carlton looks like a great lineup to me.

Reaction Score
Ricky is still out of work sadly following the Ollie dismissal and Miller allegations. He posted recently on FB about hoping to find another job and how Miller lied to NCAA investigators. I don’t feel bad at all for KO, for Ricky I do.
That’s really sad. He should have been treated more fairly. Was he accused of wrong doing? The guy is one of my all time favorites and a true Husky. And I agree KO has burned his bridges.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Your memory is faulty, Taliek had better height and great upper body strength that allowed him to absorb contact and finish well around the rim. Outside shooting was his Achilles heel but going to the rim was not a problem,
It was a problem in that NCAA game he blew by hogging the ball and sticking it into rim on a futile layup attempt for a crucial turnover. Taliek shot too much for three years. His best advice for the guards is shoot less

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It was a problem in that NCAA game he blew by hogging the ball and sticking it into rim on a futile layup attempt for a crucial turnover. Taliek shot too much for three years. His best advice for the guards is shoot less

Interestingly enough, he only took 1.3 attempts per game less his senior year, compared to the first three years. So not a huge variation. And that was partially a result of having so much developed firepower.

Reaction Score
Except against Pitt. On the old Courant board he was maligned by many.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom