Talent | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
One thing in 4 years we haven't needed to worry about...Free Throw shooting. You going 10/10 from the line in your first two games as a freshman at Gampel? doubt it. Worry about us attacking the rim to get to the foul line. That's gonna be an issue all year
correct
I think UConn left 8 pts at the FT line
make 1/2 of them and its a W

Reaction Score
The backcourt is young but we'll be fine there. The front court is the major issue, we can't rebound. When you can't control the glass you can't run.

Reaction Score
Too lazy to read all the posts so not sure if this has been touched upon but if Ollie wastes away Durham's redshirt to play the man 5-8 minutes a game I will blow my brains out. Unfathomable how incompetent we are offensively in the frontcourt.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
What blows my mind is Brimah and Facey should both studs this year. For Gods sake, they played against SMU and Temple last year!!!!!!!!!!. What is going on. The freshman I could understand but veterans? Purvis is not looking good. Maybe it will be a second half of the season story. Last night it finally looked like Adams said "screw it" I am going for it. How many times has our pups get it going and tie the game only to let the other team storm away.

I have to agree, these are two bad loses. Yes it's early, but we are in a huge hole already. I am not sure about Hawaii. Right now, this minute only, we are preparing for a beat down.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Too lazy to read all the posts so not sure if this has been touched upon but if Ollie wastes away Durham's redshirt to play the man 5-8 minutes a game I will blow my brains out. Unfathomable how incompetent we are offensively in the frontcourt.
Ollie taking Durham out of red shirt is just another one of UConns new signature motivational techniques, akin to calling Purvis a Ferrari, or just about everything that comes out of Diaco's mouth. Sounds good to say and think about conceptually, then it happens and not much really changed on the field/court.

Reaction Score
Conference realignment has - and will severely - impair UConn's athletic program is all sports. Not immediately, and not immediately depending on the sport (Women's BB still has Geno), but it will be a gradual, steady erosion.

Reaction Score

It's basketball, not football.

The kid I'm sure planned on being out of here after 4 years.

He's already been 2 years away from bball.

Reaction Score
Completely irrelevant. The play doesn't match the numbers.
It's totally relevant. Some people are complaining we don't have much talent which is bogus. There is a lot of talent here, they just aren't being put in situations where they can succeed and we have several veteran players who have not only not improved, they have regressed.

Reaction Score
I really think there is talent there, though. I just think the players, especially offensively, are just being used horribly. It's been said in 600 other threads but our half-court offense is such a pile of that it is frightening. Generally two players handing off/pnr and three guys watching. We end up with so many rushed shots at the clock or contested jumpers because there is no motion, ball movement, player movement, effective screening, etc. I think the rankings are apt for the players. But regardless of where they are ranked, there are few if any college players who can just go one-on-one all the time and be effective. That is all on the coaching staff. For as bad as JCs half court offense was at times, at least it had sets and was designed to get shots for players. I have absolutely no idea what KO thinks is effective about just letting the guys try to make plays. Unless you have multiple pros on the court, it is not effective. And even when we did (2014), it still was not overly efficient.

Reaction Score
Ollie taking Durham out of red shirt is just another one of UConns new signature motivational techniques, akin to calling Purvis a Ferrari, or just about everything that comes out of Diaco's mouth. Sounds good to say and think about conceptually, then it happens and not much really changed on the field/court.

This is not an issue. You can't keep whatever car it is in the garage too long, do nothing to it and let it out 2-2 1/2 years later and expect it to run like charm. He will slowly make his way into more minutes during this season and even if not a huge piece by years end, will be much more comfortable next year and thereafter. I'm good with this and expect by January he will be getting double figure minutes if he is healthy and more confident in being out there as he is very talented.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Talent has nothing to do with hustle and intensity. No one is boxing out, no one is getting position, no one is diving on the floor, no one is getting on another ones case, no one is hold anyone accountable, no one is showing confidence minus larrier, Gilbert, and Adams. Coaching and talent can only do so much when the players are doing the basics well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom