taking the train to MSG on Monday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

taking the train to MSG on Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I heard there are bar cars again. I haven't been down in a few months.
I'll have to check. I didn't think the M8s had them. I know I asked last time, which was also a couple months ago, and was told they were gone. Would be great if they added them back again.

Reaction Score
OK thanks. I was thinking the ticket might cost $10 so that seems kinda steep. There are 5 of us travelling - anyone have ideas on a more reasonably priced way to get into the city?

Dude, was the last time you were on a train heading into the city in the 70s? Its upwards of $18 just from Greenwich into Grand Central. And the trains run every half an hour to an hour later at night.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Dude, was the last time you were on a train heading into the city in the 70s? Its upwards of $18 just from Greenwich into Grand Central. And the trains run every half an hour to an hour later at night.

No like I said I've never done it. For the past 10 years I've been taking a bus from Boston to NYC for these games (RT costs about $35). Don't have any friends living in the city currently so no where to crash for the night and that doesn't work well for bus travel. Plus I'm meeting up with family in CT so I figured it made sense to travel together.

Reaction Score
No like I said I've never done it. For the past 10 years I've been taking a bus from Boston to NYC for these games. Don't have any friends living in the city currently so no where to crash for the night. Plus I'm meeting up with family in CT so I figured it made sense to travel together.

not sure how bad traffic is south bound on 95 but u could always drive in FFC and park at a station and take a train in from there, may save some train ticket money.

Reaction Score
I'll have to check. I didn't think the M8s had them. I know I asked last time, which was also a couple months ago, and was told they were gone. Would be great if they added them back again.

Bar cars are coming back with the next round of new cars. The next round of new cars will start coming on line in 2019, so bar cars come back some time after that, but who knows how long.

Getting There: More rail cars, more riders

Reaction Score
Off-peak both ways.

Last year after the UConn/Maryland game the train was the most crowded I've ever been on in my life. They didn't even collect tickets on the way back. I almost died from the humanity.

But keep in mind, the trains are BYOB. So you can drink on the way down there for very cheap compared to a bar.

I'm catching the 4:15 that gets in at 6:25, should leave plenty of time for getting to the game, can't get outta work earlier than that.

Reaction Score
My advice is to go to Bridgeport and book a room at the Holiday inn there for $100 and walk to the train station. They will pay for parking and you won't have to drive home after the game. Go to work the next day from there.

Reaction Score
My brother and I are possibly doing the same thing..

Should be no worries about return trains as the game starts at 7 unless we have another 6OT thriller ;)
take train from West Haven. The parking is easy, in and out. Parking and getting out of New Haven is a horror. Take train to Grand Central Station. Exit GCS take a right. then a left and walk down to 33rd st. At 33rd, go right and you will bump into MSG.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My advice is to go to Bridgeport and book a room at the Holiday inn there for $100 and walk to the train station. They will pay for parking and you won't have to drive home after the game. Go to work the next day from there.
Which reminds me, for the Maryland game last year I scored a room on Hotwire around 4 blocks away from MSG for less than $300 at a brand new Holiday Inn, which had just that week opened the brand new Rattle-n-Hum West in its lobby, so I was able to pre-game at my hotel. I combined it with a business trip because I had a meeting in NYC the next day, so I was able to wake up and go to work from there the next day. Aside from the game, it was a pretty nice trip.

Reaction Score
OK thanks. I was thinking the ticket might cost $10 so that seems kinda steep. There are 5 of us travelling - anyone have ideas on a more reasonably priced way to get into the city?
Drive

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We will definitely have a DD. Any suggestions on where to park if we did decide to drive in?
My boss was talking about an app called Park Whiz that sounds like Uber for parking. He used it to find a place to park all day for the Macy's parade for $16.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Done this many times
NH train to NYC
Low stress and festive

Park car in the lot
Lots of space and price is fair
Car will be just fine

Tickets are easy
Buy on train or at window
Window costs less cash

The ride in is long
Bring food and beers for pregame
Help the time go by

Train arrives GC
Walk, cab, or subway to game
All options are good

After game, head home
Lots of trains back to NH
Last train after 1:00

Reaction Score
Done this many times
NH train to NYC
Low stress and festive

Park car in the lot
Lots of space and price is fair
Car will be just fine

Tickets are easy
Buy on train or at window
Window costs less cash

The ride in is long
Bring food and beers for pregame
Help the time go by

Train arrives GC
Walk, cab, or subway to game
All options are good

After game, head home
Lots of trains back to NH
Last train after 1:00

It's that simple. It really is an easy experience. And MSG is legit a 10 min stroll from GC.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's that simple. It really is an easy experience. And MSG is legit a 10 min stroll from GC.
It's doable in ten minutes--and Lord knows I've done it in less--but not at a stroll. It's just over a mile. It's a "legit" 20 minute stroll; 15 minute brisk walk; and anything less than that is double-timing it and then some.

But, yes, I have done the door to door sprint in less than 10 minutes before to catch an earlier train.

Reaction Score

Expect to drop $45-$70 parking, especially around Christmas time, traffic sucks, and you will be stuck in a garage if you park anywhere near MSG. Train it, it's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom