taking the train to MSG on Monday | The Boneyard

taking the train to MSG on Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I am considering taking the train from New Haven into NYC for the game on Monday, but have never done it before. Should I be purchasing tickets ahead of time? Do I buy tickets that are specific to the game (like do they hold the return train until the game is over)? Thanks in advance for the info.

Reaction Score
You won't have to buy them in advance, but it couldn't hurt.

Usually if a game at MSG or Yankee Stadium runs late, they run the trains later. I know they did for the 16 or 18 inning Sox-Yankees game last year because I sat through the whole thing and remember being nervous at the time about our train situation.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
You won't have to buy them in advance, but it couldn't hurt.

Usually if a game at MSG or Yankee Stadium runs late, they run the trains later. I know they did for the 16 or 18 inning Sox-Yankees game last year because I sat through the whole thing and remember being nervous at the time about our train situation.

Is Grand Central the station you get off at or does the train go to Penn Station?

Am I reading this correctly - Round trip ticket is $35? mta.info | Page Unavailable

Reaction Score
Are you taking metro north, if so then you can just buy your tickets on the platform.

There is no special train for events at MSG like they have for Yankees games, but with a 7 pm tip off and game over by 9, there are plenty of trains back to CT, last one leaves Grand Central at 1:47

Reaction Score
Is Grand Central the station you get off at or does the train go to Penn Station?

Am I reading this correctly - Round trip ticket is $35? mta.info | Page Unavailable

Take the train into Grand Central then you can either walk or take a subway over to MSG

And depending on what station you are leaving from it can be $35 roundtrip, thats what it is from West haven now, rates just increased yesterday.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Take the train into Grand Central then you can either walk or take a subway over to MSG

And depending on what station you are leaving from it can be $35 roundtrip, thats what it is from West haven now, rates just increased yesterday.

OK thanks. I was thinking the ticket might cost $10 so that seems kinda steep. There are 5 of us travelling - anyone have ideas on a more reasonably priced way to get into the city?

Kauffmak10

BleedBlue
Reaction Score
I am considering taking the train from New Haven into NYC for the game on Monday, but have never done it before. Should I be purchasing tickets ahead of time? Do I buy tickets that are specific to the game (like do they hold the return train until the game is over)? Thanks in advance for the info.

My brother and I are possibly doing the same thing..

Should be no worries about return trains as the game starts at 7 unless we have another 6OT thriller ;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

No and no. Just buy a RT ticket from the machine in NH. Last train is at 1:30 AM. Give yourself time to find parking in NH on the front end.

Your tickets aren't for specific times. They are either peak or non peak. You'll probably need peak on way down and it's non peak on way back, but the schedule will show you if the train you are taking down is peak.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Take my advice and leave an hour early. Its Christmas time and you're in New York.
Take in the Macy's windows. It will take less than hour to walk from Grand Central to the Garden. And most of the major sites are on the way.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you are going from New Haven, buy your tickets at the booth or machine before going to the platform; they will be more expensive on the train.

Parking can be dicey at times, so leave time for that. It also costs like $20 iirc. If you want to save $$, go from West Haven, where you can park for free. I prefer New Haven because it is the end of the line and I am always afraid of sleeping past my stop on the way home (I usually get woken up when we arrive in New Haven).

Definitely walk to MSG from Grand Central. Stop at the Gingerman for a pop or two on the way there; and Rattle-n-Hum on the way back, or vice-versa.

Reaction Score
I'm making time to try a sushirito (I know it's just an aesthetic but I'm a huge sushi guy) and hit a few bars. Definitely pays to get there early as possible as others are alluding to.

Also has anyone tried Raclette in NYC? That place looks amazing.

IMG_8149.JPG

Reaction Score
No and no. Just buy a RT ticket from the machine in NH. Last train is at 1:30 AM. Give yourself time to find parking in NH on the front end.

Your tickets aren't for specific times. They are either peak or non peak. You'll probably need peak on way down and it's non peak on way back, but the schedule will show you if the train you are taking down is peak.

Off peak both ways.

And last train back is 1:47.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure we plan to be in NH early - probably around 1 or 2 pm. I am not worried about having plenty of time to get into NYC and get some food and drink before the game. I just didn't realize the train was so expensive.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
NH to GCT

ROUND TRIP
PEAK
Round Trip Peak $46.50
Round Trip Child Peak $23.00
OFF-PEAK
Round Trip Off-Peak $35.00
Round Trip Senior/Disabled/Medicare $23.00
Round Trip Child Off-Peak $17.50

Reaction Score
Keep up on the schedule going back if your taking metro north. I've had to duck out of games 5 minutes early when you know the game is already decided to litterally run back to Grand central station to get a certain train. They run like hourly i think after a certain point, sucks to get there at 11 and the next train leaves at 12 something. the Maryland game last season comes to mind, lots of us Uconn fans left the game and ran back to the train.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Keep up on the schedule going back if your taking metro north. I've had to duck out of games 5 minutes early when you know the game is already decided to litterally run back to Grand central station to get a certain train. They run like hourly i think after a certain point, sucks to get there at 11 and the next train leaves at 12 something. the Maryland game last season comes to mind, lots of us Uconn fans left the game and ran back to the train.

Looks like a new schedule since October.

There are now trains to NH at 9:39, 10:06, 10:41, 11:26.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure we plan to be in NH early - probably around 1 or 2 pm. I am not worried about having plenty of time to get into NYC and get some food and drink before the game. I just didn't realize the train was so expensive.
Get sandwiches from Skappo Merkato or Meat & Co. to eat on the train; and bring some road pops for the ride. Saves you money and makes the ride more enjoyable. Getting on in New Haven you will have your pick of seats because it is the beginning of the line.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
NH to GCT

ROUND TRIP
PEAK
Round Trip Peak $46.50
Round Trip Child Peak $23.00
OFF-PEAK
Round Trip Off-Peak $35.00
Round Trip Senior/Disabled/Medicare $23.00
Round Trip Child Off-Peak $17.50

You can always drive to Stanford.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
In my opinion New London is the best station to catch Metro North to Grand Central.

Free parking is standard at NL while I believe New Haven parking can be an issue.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
You can always drive to Stanford.

Thanks -

OFF-PEAK
Round Trip Off-Peak $23.00
Round Trip Senior/Disabled/Medicare $15.00
Round Trip Child Off-Peak $11.50

Reaction Score
Don't worry about the peak / off peak stuff. Just park at union station and buy a round trip ticket from NH to grand central in the lobby area

With 5 people, it might be worth to make a friend a DD and drive in. 150 + total for just the train is $$$.

Train is fun to pregame on though and not have to worry about parking and drunk driving.

If you're points south of NH, driving to a closer station will make it cheaper and much shorter ride. Lots of stops coming from NH, but the passout factor comes into play mentioned earlier

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The train is worth every penny of the $35. World's best rolling happy hour.
It was better when they had a bar car. Not because I enjoyed their offerings, but it was always a lively scene.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
With 5 people, it might be worth to make a friend a DD and drive in. 150 + total for just the train is $$$.

Train is fun to pregame on though and not have to worry about parking and drunk driving.

We will definitely have a DD. Any suggestions on where to park if we did decide to drive in?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It was better when they had a bar car. Not because I enjoyed their offerings, but it was always a lively scene.

I heard there are bar cars again. I haven't been down in a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom