Taking Over The Game | The Boneyard

Taking Over The Game

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The ability to play your best when the competition is greatest is a unique talent. UConn fans have been blessed through the years with the likes of DT, Maya, Stewie and others who all had that ability to rise to the occasion in the biggest games.

At the start of the 2nd half, Seton Hall hit a basket that cut the UConn lead to 6 pts, closer than any point in the game since the first few minutes. At that point Paige scored or assisted on 9 straight UConn points, and Seton Hall never really challenged again.

For several years now, I’ve watched Paige take over HS and International games whenever opponents appeared to mount a challenge, so when she took over the game in the 3rd qtr it really wasn’t unusual or unexpected. For Paige, it was simply a case of doing something that she’s been doing since 8th grade.

Yes it’s true. UConn has Paige and other teams don’t.......

Reaction Score
The ability to play your best when the competition is greatest is a unique talent. UConn fans have been blessed through the years with the likes of DT, Maya, Stewie and others who all had that ability to rise to the occasion in the biggest games.

At the start of the 2nd half, Seton Hall hit a basket that cut the UConn lead to 6 pts, closer than any point in the game since the first few minutes. At that point Paige scored or assisted on 9 straight UConn points, and Seton Hall never really challenged again.

For several years now, I’ve watched Paige take over HS and International games whenever opponents appeared to mount a challenge, so when she took over the game in the 3rd qtr it really wasn’t unusual or unexpected. For Paige, it was simply a case of doing something that she’s been doing since 8th grade.

You from Minnesota too? North Minneapolis here.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You from Minnesota too? North Minneapolis here.
Unfortunately, I am not a native of the Land of 10,000 Lakes. I grew up in CT and now live in NY. My observations of Paige’s ability to take over games comes exclusively from watching dozens of YouTube videos.

Reaction Score

In her first two games... 21 PPG 6.5 RPG 5 APG 3.5 SPG 76% FG% 66.7% 3FG% 100% FT%

That's insane...that kind of stat line wins AA honors especially for a UConn player. Her assist average would be up at least two per game once her teammates get used to the passes. Her defense should only get better in terms of reading the game/steals, maybe add another steal per game to her average. It's only two games but if she stays close to those averages which I don't think she'd have difficulty doing she'd at least make the AA finalists...as a freshman. These stats are better than a freshman Ionescu, the big question in my mind is seeing how Paige performs against elite teams/athletes ie. South Carolina and Baylor as our conference is nowhere close to the Pac-12 when Ionescu was there.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Paige unfortunately won’t keep this up, but 76/67/100 shooting is insanely good. Actually, it’s Azzi good.

Yeah she won't because in the immortal words of Geno "she has a little bit of a knack for the game!" When he is rambling around post game sometimes he says things that are dumb.

Reaction Score
In her first two games... 21 PPG 6.5 RPG 5 APG 3.5 SPG 76% FG% 66.7% 3FG% 100% FT%

That's insane...that kind of stat line wins AA honors especially for a UConn player. Her assist average would be up at least two per game once her teammates get used to the passes. Her defense should only get better in terms of reading the game/steals, maybe add another steal per game to her average. It's only two games but if she stays close to those averages which I don't think she'd have difficulty doing she'd at least make the AA finalists...as a freshman. These stats are better than a freshman Ionescu, the big question in my mind is seeing how Paige performs against elite teams/athletes ie. South Carolina and Baylor as our conference is nowhere close to the Pac-12 when Ionescu was there.

She played against them in high school, her traveling team and AAU.

Reaction Score

I've said all along that she is better coming in as a freshman than Ionescu was and I believe she'll be better going out also. And I couldn't care less about stats. Nobody since S. Bird sees the floor like this kid.

Reaction Score
Yeah she won't because in the immortal words of Geno "she has a little bit of a knack for the game!" When he is rambling around post game sometimes he says things that are dumb.
Maybe I'm naive' but I think he is uncanny in how he manages to carefully select his words. I think the Showtime series sold me. I think that he wants, first of all to Paige, but also to us, message that Paige still has things to work on.
I'm having to restrain my enthusiasm this morning. I live in Alaska and if people didn't know, the Alaska Natives are beyond passionate about hoops. I want to show them today, Geno's comments, her presser, and the highlights.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It wasn't dumb, it was intentional understatement.
That may have been his intent, but it's so understated that he missed the mark by a lot. Simply not credible. He of course went on to describe some of Paige's capability in glowing terms, leading one to wonder if it was intentional understatement, an attempt at humor, of just a tired coach. Then there's this:

“She’s got a lot to learn, don’t get me wrong,” Auriemma added, “but there’s something special about her, there’s something unique about her. Anybody that watches her play, it doesn’t take long to figure that out.”

"A little bit of a knack for the game." I think he just misspoke. This horse is now officially dead.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I started getting the feeling last night that PB is biding her time.

She's a freshman, and no matter how good she is and how confident she may be in her own abilities, she respects her teammates and wants to be sure they're involved.

There's a fine line between being the center of all the action (taking over the game) and being the leader of a team and melding the many, varied, talents of her teammates to achieve the greatest possible success. It won't help against SC and Baylor if the other players have become accustomed to simply standing around and watching and waiting for PB to take over.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

She's a freshman, and no matter how good she is and how confident she may be in her own abilities, she respects her teammates and wants to be sure they're involved.

There's a fine line between being the center of all the action (taking over the game) and being the leader of a team and melding the many, varied, talents of her teammates to achieve the greatest possible success. It won't help against SC and Baylor if the other players have become accustomed to simply standing around and watching and waiting for PB to take over.
Hence, Paige's unique ability to read a game and exert her will only when absolutely needed. Paige could have easily put up 30 ppg during the first two games. Of course she didn't, because she understands that it's all about the team.

Of all the incredible players that have passed through UConn's storied program, I don't know of a single one that's ever lead the nation in any offensive category. The players that come to Storrs do so to win championships, first and foremost.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hence, Paige's unique ability to read a game and exert her will only when absolutely needed. Paige could have easily put up 30 ppg during the first two games. Of course she didn't, because she understands that it's all about the team.

Of all the incredible players that have passed through UConn's storied program, I don't know of a single one that's ever lead the nation in any offensive category. The players that come to Storrs do so to win championships, first and foremost.
I believe that Lou led the nation in 3-point accuracy, about .475, as a junior. Kaleena may have as well, or perhaps 3-pointers made. But no one has led in scoring, rebounding, or even assists, to my knowledge.

Reaction Score

I'm sorry, like I said I'm having trouble restraining myself. Got to say it: Larry Bird.
Larry's best games were not the 50 point efforts but the games he involved everyone and obviously contributed big shots when needed. In his heyday, the consensus was that he easily could have averaged 35 a game. That was a Larry type effort last night. Score in the flow of the game, big spurt at the start of the 3rd that out the game away, involve everyone, rebound the ball.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Didi Richards is a fine defender, but she hasn’t had to defend anyone quite like Paige. It will be an interesting matchup that I’m looking forward to watching.

Reaction Score
Didi Richards is a fine defender, but she hasn’t had to defend anyone quite like Paige. It will be an interesting matchup that I’m looking forward to watching.
Run Buckets off the high screens, let Richards go over the screen and try playing PB from behind. Too late, she takes a pullup or gets somebody a layup.

Reaction Score
Paige is already very good. But she will get better every game predicted Geno. So I think Paige will do fine against Didi. What is a more concern is how UConn is going to matchup with Lauren Cox.

Reaction Score
Paige is already very good. But she will get better every game predicted Geno. So I think Paige will do fine against Didi. What is a more concern is how UConn is going to matchup with Lauren Cox.
I've got the little engine that could, with the initials AE. Also waiting for Aubrey to get in the flow. Lauren officially shut down.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Uhm. Not sure if you’re pulling our leg, but you do realize that Cox has graduated?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom