Taking a look back at the HoopGurlz 2016 Recruiting Class Rankings | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Taking a look back at the HoopGurlz 2016 Recruiting Class Rankings

Reaction Score
The only comment I would have, not sure if Ionescu was really underrated, according to you? She was ranked #4 in the HoopGurlz behind Dangerfield. Speaking of Dangerfield (at #3) was she placed in the perfect "goldilock zone"...not overrated and not underrated, just right.
I just put her on there because she has been, for the most part, the clear cut #1 in the class for three years. Slocum and Holmes were also very good as freshmen.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The only comment I would have, not sure if Ionescu was really underrated, according to you? She was ranked #4 in the HoopGurlz behind Dangerfield. Speaking of Dangerfield (at #3) was she placed in the perfect "goldilock zone"...not overrated and not underrated, just right.

I wouldnt say she is overrated but I think Dangerfield should be more in the 5-10 range.

Ionescu is underrated in the sense that she has clearly been the best player from the class but had 3 players rated ahead of her.

Reaction Score
I would expect the BE to become the #5 RPI conference surpassing the SEC at #6 when UConn joins them in 2020-2021. (I'm nor Carnac but numbers don't lie) :rolleyes:
I think you also have to look at where the conferences are trending. For example with Marquette losing their five best players, they likely aren’t a top-25 team.

The SEC added 7 of the top-11 in the class of 2019, so they could definitely get stronger. Will be interesting! I think the BE has a better shot at passing Big-10 or Big-12 TBH.

Reaction Score
I think you also have to look at where the conferences are trending. For example with Marquette losing their five best players, they likely aren’t a top-25 team.

The SEC added 7 of the top-11 in the class of 2019, so they could definitely get stronger. Will be interesting! I think the BE has a better shot at passing Big-10 or Big-12 TBH.

...and I'm going to beat this dead horse to submission with this comment :rolleyes: ...and Vic is not doing his part to make sure the SEC does not fall to 5th, 6th or lower. :D

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Agreed, and also it should be noted that the main reason the SEC's RPI sagged so much last year was because they had four really bad teams in Alabama, Vandy, Ole Miss and Florida -- all outside the RPI top 150, and three of them outside the top 200, which is very unusual for a P5 conference. I expect at least two of those teams (to be significantly better this year.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I would expect the BE to become the #5 RPI conference surpassing the SEC at #6 when UConn joins them in 2020-2021. (I'm nor Carnac but numbers don't lie) :rolleyes:
Not sure I see that. Marquette will take a few steps back and some SEC teams should step up-KY, AK,
GA and TN all who should be better than last year.
The Big12 is ripe for passing as you have Baylor, huge drop to Texas, huge drop to any of the next groupings of teams. So DePaul may or may not keep level with Texas talent but Doug will outcoach Karen. Can Harry beat the #3 team and so on for the next teams in the NBE? Not sure based on my knowledge of these teams. Any thoughts anyone?

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Agreed, and also it should be noted that the main reason the SEC's RPI sagged so much last year was because they had four really bad teams in Alabama, Vandy, Ole Miss and Florida -- all outside the RPI top 150, and three of them outside the top 200, which is very unusual for a P5 conference. I expect at least two of those teams (to be significantly better this year.
You mean the same Alabama team that beat the perennial NCAA Tournament team (deserving or not) in Tennessee?

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I wouldnt say she is overrated but I think Dangerfield should be more in the 5-10 range.

Ionescu is underrated in the sense that she has clearly been the best player from the class but had 3 players rated ahead of her.
Ok Mr. Delusional, so if Crystal Dangerfield is in the 5-10 range, name the 4-9 players you think are better than her? Look at that list again and there is NO WAY you could name that many.
BTW why Joyner Holmes IS NOT stated as the most overrated player of this class is bizarre. She has the most raw talent of any player I have seen of that size and she has not developed her skills or BB IQ due to Kim’s pathetic coaching. Is Charlie Collier doomed the same fate? Prince, Patterson and Littleton all smartened up and transferred. Is this the beginning of the end for Karen? Talent alone can’t win in College...

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Ok Mr. Delusional, so if Crystal Dangerfield is in the 5-10 range, name the 4-9 players you think are better than her? Look at that list again and there is NO WAY you could name that many.
BTW why Joyner Holmes IS NOT stated as the most overrated player of this class is bizarre. She has the most raw talent of any player I have seen of that size and she has not developed her skills or BB IQ due to Kim’s pathetic coaching. Is Charlie Collier doomed the same fate? Prince, Patterson and Littleton all smartened up and transferred. Is this the beginning of the end for Karen? Talent alone can’t win in College...

2016s I'd rank over Dangerfield:
-Sabrina Ionescu
-Lauren Cox
-Destiny Slocum
-Jackie Young
-Ruthy Hebard
-Kaila Charles
-Bella Alarie

There's 7.

Holmes wasn't overrated...she was a top notch freshman and lived up to being a #2 recruit. She just hasn't gotten any better due to a multitude of reasons. There's a difference between being overrated and not living up to potential. She's also coached by Karen, not Kim.

And her name is spelled Charli Collier.

Reaction Score
It could very well be that the rankings were accurate at the time, but players develop differently over 3 years. Some of that is coaching, and some of that is the player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom