Takeaways from tonight's game | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Takeaways from tonight's game

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Maybe both teams abandon the post and run 5 guard sets the entire game ;). I do think it has the makings of an instant classic and even though ND has beat some slouches recently, I think they are playing at a higher level than UConn at this moment. However, the one equalizer is good defense and if we play to our potential there, we will have a chance to win.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Maybe both teams abandon the post and run 5 guard sets the entire game ;). I do think it has the makings of an instant classic and even though ND has beat some slouches recently, I think they are playing at a higher level than UConn at this moment. However, the one equalizer is good defense and if we play to our potential there, we will have a chance to win.

I agree. A big key will be keeping ND off the FT line. Novosel and Diggins live at the line with >25% of their points coming from FTs. In the FF last year UConn struggled keeping Novosel and Diggins out of the lane. The result was they either scored or were fouled. That can't happen again. UConn needs to force them in to jump-shooters. They are both good shooters, but I'm sure Geno would rather that than FTs or lay-ups. As a team, ND has made more FTs than UConn has attempted...by a lot.

ND doesn't shoot a lot of 3-pointers but they have a knack for making big ones at key points in the game. It's like Geno often says, "it's not how many, but when."

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Though he also says he likes a third of his team's FGs to be from beyond the arc. Geno always keeps 'em guessing. :)

This is a really intriguing matchup. ND is the more seasoned team, but their results haven't been more impressive than UConn's to this point. Both teams are small. I think this should be a fun, scrappy game, a la Baylor (in terms of scrappiness and fun, not in terms of how the game is played).

Reaction Score
I'm feeling the same way. I'm a big fan but she just doesn't seem to want the inside game at all against stronger teams.
I agree, but why don't the coaches insist that she play inside, or take her out? She looks(to me) to be struggling physically. I remember last year, as the season progressed, that she improved her conditioning and her play picked up. I read that she continued to work on her conditioning and moves this summer. I don't know, but I just don't see the expected improvement.

Reaction Score
Still wondering why Heather didn't play. CD didn't comment on it (wasn't asked) in her postgame radio interview. It wasn't mentioned in the quotes from Geno's postgame comments. Still wonder if it's injury, illness, or chateau bowwow. It certainly would have made sense to play her against that defense.

Did anyone notice CD's postgame comment that the crowd should stop hollering "Shoot, shoot" at Stef and Kiah when they have the ball in the high post and are wide open? She said that there is a reason they don't shoot in that case, which is that they lack confidence. If you are confident, you will shoot (when open) as soon as you catch the ball. If you hold it for a 5 seconds, a shot is not well-advised even if you are open, because you obviously don't have the necessary confidence.

UConn did experiment for a few minutes with a "two big" lineup, and also with a 5-guard lineup, in tonight's game. I remain inclined toward the view that they will need to use two bigs against the better teams and often in the postseason, so I would rather see more of it now.
Geno said Heather did not play in order to rest her wrist, and to save her for ND.
....I can't believe that CD did not want the crowd to yell "shoot."
Stef is one of the top foul shooters; they don't want her to shoot when she is 15 feet from the basket with no one on her ?????

Reaction Score
Eric - I get what you're saying and the stats you list support the point you're making. But I know what I saw tonight and this WVU team is gonna be a tough out for anyone, on any given night. That's what a quality defensive team with good athleticism will get you. Their SOS will go up considerably now that they're entering BEast conference play and I will not be surprised when they garner a seed in the big dance in March.
You may be right, but it was hard to judge them considering the way Uconn played!

Reaction Score
I was at the game last night and just got back to my computer so I'm coming in a little late here. My impressions jive with most of what is written here. My first impression was that the whole place was on reserve power last night... the crowd from the beginning seemed tired, the pep band was good but not their usual high energy, stuff just didn't seem to work smoothly for the team. I had a feeling during the game that Geno was looking more to N.D. and using this game almost as a practice warm-up. The offense seemed awkward at times because they were working on things that Geno felt they needed to work on. There seemed to be different combos out there, 4 or 5 guards, etc, that each seemed to a directive as to who/how the play would run. Hence Tiff and Bria would pass up shots. In the beginning of the second half it definitely seemed the team was instructed to work on running the play through the post. The pass would go into either Stef or Kiah in the high post, they would turn an look at the basket, the crowd would chant "shoot", but they would pass up what usually seemed like an open shot and instead turn and look to find a cutter or develop a play off the perimeter. After a time-out (there seemed to be so many last night) well into the second half, the posts began to take that shot. I don't quite agree that they didn't take shots because of a lack of confidence. What I'm saying is that my impression was that the offense last night was not as fluid as usual at least partially because it was more directed from the coaching staff with a goal of getting ready for N.D..

Reaction Score
they like playing the centers in the high post. i think it's not bad at times, but they need to look inside when she and Kiah flash to the basket. i'm not sure what is up with Stef. she had 9 vs. STanford, 10 vs. aTm and 6 vs. Baylor. i don't think she's good enough to score against top teams at this point. part of it is she's not taking any shots. either the guards aren't finding her, she's not demanding the ball enough, she's spending too much time in the high post, or some combo of that. don't get me wrong i love Stef and want her to be terrific, but she's not there yet.

i also will say against some tough post players, i've seen them beating the crap out of her. the amount of physical play that goes on when players are trying to defend her is ridiculous at times. i read a post somewhere where a moron said Stef is a dirty player. on the contrary. she's way too nice. and the refs should be calling the overly physical stuff that is pulled against her.
Certainly at this point in time Stef is not the 2nd best center in college! The issues that you bring up are not off base at all. Aspects are the guards,her "demanding the ball as you stated",she needs to get more aggressive/physical,the low post is that her or coaching decision. How do you get more athletic? She has made great strides from when she arrived,but needs to step it up. The loss of Maya and the lack of a "true power forward" may be issues! It is a joke re her being dirty,too aggressive, she needs to increase this.
She is outgoing and speaks up to the press re the team and speaks to teammates! Her nature is gentle!

Reaction Score
Where was Heather?
Hurt or doghouse?
I was thinking that Heather's injury<from the BA game> may have been a factor. With the ND game on Sat,could this have been to let her have a few more days for what is a huge game?

Reaction Score
it was good to see kaleena take 7 foul shots, and make 6. in the first 12 games she had taken only 17 foul shots.

Reaction Score
what are you talking about? your post not only makes no sense, but has nothing to do with what i posted.
"i'm not sure what is up with Stef. she had 9 vs. STanford, 10 vs. aTm and 6 vs. Baylor. i don't think she's good enough to score against top teams at this point. part of it is she's not taking any shots. either the guards aren't finding her, she's not demanding the ball enough, she's spending too much time in the high post, or some combo of that. don't get me wrong i love Stef and want her to be terrific, but she's not there yet."

This.

Even Geno said that she should have shot a lot more. I saw one of the worst offensive games from a UConn team in many a year. When Stef has the ball alone in the high post, I hope she just keeps shooting. She's too good not to.

Reaction Score
What do you mean 4 guards, last night we upped the ante to five guards for awhile. :)
Yeah , your right! I like that even less! You must have five 3pt. shooting threats to play that way! I still haven't heard of one person on this board come up with a team that has won a championship playing 4 guards and one big!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom