Takeaways from tonight's game | The Boneyard

Takeaways from tonight's game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does anyone know what to make of this style ofplay?

It probably goes without saying, but UConn cannot play this way at ND and expect to come close, let alone win. Stef got absolutely schooled tonight by WV's center, who looked like she was driving an invisible bulldozer around the court, pushing Stef every which way. Right from the start, even, it seemed, before the jousting began, the center game was being played far, far away from the basket. That is, of course, not UConn's game, and, of course, it meant that the guards had no inside place where they could toss the ball.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
they like playing the centers in the high post. i think it's not bad at times, but they need to look inside when she and Kiah flash to the basket. i'm not sure what is up with Stef. she had 9 vs. STanford, 10 vs. aTm and 6 vs. Baylor. i don't think she's good enough to score against top teams at this point. part of it is she's not taking any shots. either the guards aren't finding her, she's not demanding the ball enough, she's spending too much time in the high post, or some combo of that. don't get me wrong i love Stef and want her to be terrific, but she's not there yet.

i also will say against some tough post players, i've seen them beating the crap out of her. the amount of physical play that goes on when players are trying to defend her is ridiculous at times. i read a post somewhere where a moron said Stef is a dirty player. on the contrary. she's way too nice. and the refs should be calling the overly physical stuff that is pulled against her.

Reaction Score
I'm feeling the same way. I'm a big fan but she just doesn't seem to want the inside game at all against stronger teams.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm feeling the same way. I'm a big fan but she just doesn't seem to want the inside game at all against stronger teams.
Steph fought for inside offensive position all night. I saw several times when she was open, but the guard couldn't get her the ball. I don't see it as not wanting the inside game at all.

Reaction Score
Very physical. WVA's defense lived up to its reputation and statistics. We'll be sore tomorrow. Tif on the floor 4 times (count 'em) in the first two minutes. Steph just doesn't seem to like the rough going or else she's really afraid to foul. I think she should play a game without her make-up.
Most of the starters worked through the adversity and wound up with a decent game, though not statistically.
I hope ND and others won't be studying the game films.
On the other hand we won by 19 and it would have been even more had not KML been cold.
Not all wins can be pretty; reference last year's game against Georgetown and a couple others.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Give the WVU posts some credit. That #20 kid may be the best defensive center other than Griner Stef and Kiah will see this year. Very long and strong with excellent footwork and a lot of experience.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Stef and Kiah were out to far. They should've been no further out then the line. Catch and shoot or pass. Defenders are goings to give post playyers deep shots all day. We shot the ball poorly. Tonight. That's it for me. ND we will be up for and we will look like a different team than tonight.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
WTH does everyone want or expect from this team? I know it's easy to morph into junior Genos and become obsessed with the"pursuit of excellence", but I think a little perspective is warranted and would like to know when winning a game "ugly" became such a disappointment?

CPTV posted a stat prior to the game reflecting WVU as the 3rd best defensive team in the nation in regard to opponents ppg and fg%. Pretty impressive defensive stats for WVU. Maybe, just maybe, their athleticism and excellent coaching deserves a little more credit - instead of assessing our girls performance as somehow sub-par.

A UConn victory never felt in question and I think there's a great deal to be learned from "gutting out" a tough game like this, rather than just rolling over folks. We won by 19 points over a quality conference opponent, on a night when we were only hitting on 7 of our 12 cylinders. I'll take that any day and offer a hat tip to a quality WVU squad. I think these are exactly the types of games that provide reservoirs of data when preparing for tourney play.

P.S. - I realize I'm committing blasphemy in saying this, but Meghan Cuomo could not have been anymore annoying with her non-stop negative commentary on UConn's performance tonight. When did she become Geno's surrogate, rather than an objective TV analyst?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
WTH does everyone want or expect from this team? I know it's easy to morph into junior Genos and become obsessed with the"pursuit of excellence", but I think a little perspective is warranted and would like to know when winning a game "ugly" become such a disappointment?

CPTV posted a stat prior to the game reflecting WVU as the 3rd best defensive team in the nation in regard to opponents ppg and fg%. Pretty impressive defensive stats for WVU. Maybe, just maybe, their athleticism and excellent coaching deserves a little more credit - instead of assessing our girls performance as somehow sub-par.

A UConn victory never felt in question and I think there's a great deal to be learned from "gutting out" a tough game like this, rather than just rolling over folks. We won by 19 points over a quality conference opponent, on a night when we were only hitting on 7 of our 12 cylinders. I'll take that any day and offer a hat tip to a quality WVU squad. I think these are exactly the types of games that provide reservoirs of data when preparing for tourney play.

P.S. - I realize I'm committing blasphemy in saying this, but Meghan Cuomo could not have been anymore annoying with her non-stop negative commentary on UConn's performance tonight. When did she become Geno's surrogate, rather than an objective TV analyst?

Plus 1

WVA's guards did a very good job of denying the entry pass into the post. Next logical solution is bring the post out high and work from there.

Being at the game, there was never a feeling that we were in jeprody of loosing this game.

People need to take a deep breath and understand that there are teams that are very good defensively and are very capable of denying the low post offense. We won big. Relax!

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
WTH does everyone want or expect from this team? I know it's easy to morph into junior Genos and become obsessed with the"pursuit of excellence", but I think a little perspective is warranted and would like to know when winning a game "ugly" become such a disappointment?

+ 2, Replicant.

West Virgina played excellent defense -- especially in the post.

I loved the baskets Kia made late in the game. No hesitation. Catch and shoot (and make the shots).

She also had at least one (and probably two) clean blocks that the ref called as fouls.

It was a good night for Kia.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Plus 1

WVA's guards did a very good job of denying the entry pass into the post. Next logical solution is bring the post out high and work from there.

Being at the game, there was never a feeling that we were in jeprody of loosing this game.

People need to take a deep breath and understand that there are teams that are very good defensively and are very capable of denying the low post offense. We won big. Relax!
Nothing runs like a Deer!

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
+ 2, Replicant.

West Virgina played excellent defense -- especially in the post.

I loved the baskets Kia made late in the game. No hesitation. Catch and shoot (and make the shots).

She also had at least one (and probably two) clean blocks that the ref called as fouls.

It was a good night for Kia.
Exactly Coach! I'm watching the game and seeing nothing but good. Can't recall a player with a higher bball IQ, better instincts or motor than Kelly...she's a joy! Then there's fearless and ridiculously effective Bria! And on, and on, and on. Really like this crew we have and there's nothing but upside as far as the eye can see. :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
you know, i get your points, but let me put it in perspective for you. WVU has a SOS of 178. they have played virtually no one in the top 25.

They have played St Bonny (loss), UCLA, Youngston St, NC Central, CSU Northridge (loss), Syracuse, Lasalle, Boston Univ, North florida, Mt. St. Mary's, Duquesne (loss), Bucknell and Elon. they may very well be top 10 in defense, but so would U-Hart if they played a schedule like that (slight exaggeration). did i say SOS of 178?????

and btw they just lost to Duquesne a few weeks back so it's not like it was right out the gate when they had injuries or youngsters who weren't ready to play WCBB yet. so maybe they were way up for the game and played out of their minds, but if you didn't know the name of the school and looked at their record heading into the UCONN game, you'd say it's a team we should beat by 40+.

and by the way, did you listen to Kelly's post game interview with Meghan? she was absolutely disgusted with the team's play tonite. so i'd say the fans expect about what the players expect. in fact, i'd say the fan reaction has been pretty mild to what the team thinks about how they played.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
They've lost to Duquesne, St Bonaventure, and Cal St-Northridge. They are an NCAA bubble team. Wouldnt really call them a "quality" opponent.
St. Bonaventure is 13-2 and has an RPI of 54.
Duquesne is 12-3 and has an RPI of 40.
Cal St-Northridge was a lousy loss.

They are in the top 1o in most defensive categories.

Most Mike Carey coached teams are a quality opponent. This one is no exception.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Still wondering why Heather didn't play. CD didn't comment on it (wasn't asked) in her postgame radio interview. It wasn't mentioned in the quotes from Geno's postgame comments. Still wonder if it's injury, illness, or chateau bowwow. It certainly would have made sense to play her against that defense.

Did anyone notice CD's postgame comment that the crowd should stop hollering "Shoot, shoot" at Stef and Kiah when they have the ball in the high post and are wide open? She said that there is a reason they don't shoot in that case, which is that they lack confidence. If you are confident, you will shoot (when open) as soon as you catch the ball. If you hold it for a 5 seconds, a shot is not well-advised even if you are open, because you obviously don't have the necessary confidence.

UConn did experiment for a few minutes with a "two big" lineup, and also with a 5-guard lineup, in tonight's game. I remain inclined toward the view that they will need to use two bigs against the better teams and often in the postseason, so I would rather see more of it now.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
you know, i get your points, but let me put it in perspective for you. WVU has a SOS of 178. they have played virtually no one in the top 25.

They have played St Bonny (loss), UCLA, Youngston St, NC Central, CSU Northridge (loss), Syracuse, Lasalle, Boston Univ, North florida, Mt. St. Mary's, Duquesne (loss), Bucknell and Elon. they may very well be top 10 in defense, but so would U-Hart if they played a schedule like that (slight exaggeration). did i say SOS of 178?????

and btw they just lost to Duquesne a few weeks back so it's not like it was right out the gate when they had injuries or youngsters who weren't ready to play WCBB yet. so maybe they were way up for the game and played out of their minds, but if you didn't know the name of the school and looked at their record heading into the UCONN game, you'd say it's a team we should beat by 40+.

and by the way, did you listen to Kelly's post game interview with Meghan? she was absolutely disgusted with the team's play tonite. so i'd say the fans expect about what the players expect. in fact, i'd say the fan reaction has been pretty mild to what the team thinks about how they played.
Eric - I get what you're saying and the stats you list support the point you're making. But I know what I saw tonight and this WVU team is gonna be a tough out for anyone, on any given night. That's what a quality defensive team with good athleticism will get you. Their SOS will go up considerably now that they're entering BEast conference play and I will not be surprised when they garner a seed in the big dance in March.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I like Pittsburgh Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin's attitude about games like this. "Take the 'W' and get on the bus."

West Virginia played very well defensively. UConn was therefore unable to do all the things offensively that we wanted to see and the players wanted to do. So we won by 19 and have work to do to get better. I'll take it.

And get on the bus.

Reaction Score
St. Bonaventure is 13-2 and has an RPI of 54.
Duquesne is 12-3 and has an RPI of 40.
Cal St-Northridge was a lousy loss.
I am aware of their records. They are bubble or slightly above-bubble teams. WVU lost to both of them. The Eers are looking like a bubble team at this point. That is a marginal 'quality' team in my book.

They are in the top 1o in most defensive categories.

Largely irrelevant given the quality of the competition played so far.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Texas a&m has a RPI of 6. Dayton has a RPI of 31. Towson is 33. Just sayin... and none of them could get within 30 of UCONN...

i will add, though, that this WVU team may be a bubble team at the moment, but if they play like this they should storm through the big east and end up 10-6. that would certainly be enough to get them close to the top 25 and certainly into the big dance...

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I am aware of their records. They are bubble or slightly above-bubble teams. WVU lost to both of them. The Eers are looking like a bubble team at this point. That is a marginal 'quality' team in my book.

Largely irrelevant given the quality of the competition played so far.
Lots of equivocation going on here. Moments ago they were a "bubble team", but have since been upgraded to "slightly above-bubble team" status following DD's insightful post. They've also moved up from being a non-quality team to a "marginal quality team"? Interesting. Maybe after a night's sleep and further reflection you'll have them seeded in the tourney. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom