Takeaways from the Vandy game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Takeaways from the Vandy game

Reaction Score
go back and watch the game replay, with about 0:40 left in the game, the camera zooms in on Geno. You can read his lips, he is absolutely ripping someone. Who?

Reaction Score
If I'm Geno I play ONO and Coombs as much as possible. Let those two come in for Collier and KLS. KLS is starting to remind me a bit of a player like Stewie who could go from sleeping to knocking down shots in ten minutes. She's really starting to look like a pro out there in the way she has an all around game and ability to score in a number of ways on all parts of the floor.
Have to agree. Coombs, in particular, needs work. Olivia will develop pretty quickly....certainly she needs more strength ( hands and grip of ball, in particular ).....but she looks like a star in the making. Coombs still looks tentative, and that will erode with playing time and confidence. Her limitation; she has no our=tside shot. But if 10 minutes is all we need...and she handles the ball, passes decisively, plays defense, and drives to the hoop , she can be a contributor.

Reaction Score
I isolated a few times on Kyla when she was in. Kyla on defense always took the first fake, and then the offensive player blew right by her. I love Kyla as much as anyone on this board, but after seeing two such blow-bys, she was pulled and didn't come back in until clean up time, I think. She didn't move her feet at all on defense. And as a coaches daughter she should know she can't pass to herself when she is the inbounder. :) Maybe she just tries too hard.

Reaction Score
very refreshing indeed.....of course I think Geno will be far more stingy with his substitutions once games start to get more competitive.....for now it looks like ONO, Coombs and Irwin might will make up the back end of the "Big 8"
As usual you nailed it. When REAL games begin subs sit more, unless they are top talent.

Reaction Score
I thought it was a good, but not great effort. It was basically a 2-fer, and shooting percentages were .559 and .254. Both of those were very good. I thought we were just a little sloppy and slow to loose balls. We also got very few points on true fast breaks, hence a total of only 80. Lou's shot was off from the arc, but she played well otherwise. Phee was a rebounding machine. Crystal looked as if she could drop 30 points if she wanted. Meg scored well, but Phee didn't allow her or anyone else many rebounds. Christyn had some points, rebounds, and assists. I think she could have been a little more aggressive again. Liv showed flashes on the offensive end and Mikayla on the defensive end. We beat Vandy by about twice as many as N.C. State did. For the second game of the season, I'm pretty happy.
CW as a Frosh impresses the be-jabbers out of me. I think she defers too much but she is not completely comfortable. One thing is certain she has played a lot of basketball and knows she can do anything she wants on the floor, yet she is a team player. Love that kid. Megan is not losing love from me they are 2 different players.

Reaction Score
As usual you nailed it. When REAL games begin subs sit more, unless they are top talent.

if he actually plays at least seven and perhaps eight at some point before garbage time against good competition that will be encouraging and frankly a necessity in the long run.........

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
On one possession, Christyn took 3 or 4 dribbles from the right side of the floor across the lane and put up a jumper from about 8-10'. She has that shot pretty much whenever she wants it. And it will usually go in.

Reaction Score
some thoughts of the game:
a. our starting 5 is really really good and you can see the potential for them to be great. They need to sharpen on the passes and defense but it looks like it will come as we get deeper into the season.
b. A serious injury to any of the starting 5 will basically close the hopes for a final 4 run as there is such a steep difference between the starting 5 and the players on the bench.
c. to my eyes only Coombs (good defense) and ONO are capable in contributing to a championship level team.
d. the lack of development in Bent and Irwin games is depressing.
e. the team is very small and I'm curious to see how they'll do against big and skilled posts (Baylor, ND)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd love to see an undefeated season, but Massey actually has them going 28-2 (with rounding). Just because they are favored to win every game does not mean they are expected to win all of them.

For a more obvious example, if a team were given a 51% chance of winning each of 30 games, it would be pretty clear that no-one thought they would win all 30. In fact, in this example the team really would be expected to win only a fraction more than 30 games.

Well, in addition to the percentages, Massey also projects a score. In those scores, UConn wins every game. The lowest percentage is 59; but, you're right, some games are as close as 3pts. Two years ago we were speculating on this board about the Huskies losing as many as 8 games. That was the year we lost the Big 3. It was also the year Phee was crazy good--and UConn won 'em all. Anyone for deja vu?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
some thoughts of the game:
a. our starting 5 is really really good and you can see the potential for them to be great. They need to sharpen on the passes and defense but it looks like it will come as we get deeper into the season.
b. A serious injury to any of the starting 5 will basically close the hopes for a final 4 run as there is such a steep difference between the starting 5 and the players on the bench.
c. to my eyes only Coombs (good defense) and ONO are capable in contributing to a championship level team.
d. the lack of development in Bents and Irvin games is depressing.
e. the team is very small and I'm curious to see how they'll do against big and skilled posts (Baylor, ND)
There is no Bents or Irvin on UConn's roster. There are not many teams that will do well against Baylor's, ND's, or MSU's height. Also, UConn is not all that small. They have 6'3", two high jumping 6'1" and a 6'5" player. They also have two 6'2" reserve players who will eventually help, imo.

Reaction Score
I think everyone needs to take a deep breath about the freshman. By March, ONO is going to be a great 6th man and CW is going to be all over the place throwing up shots. I know we aren't allowed to say anything negative about Stewie on this board but she wasn't Stewie until the tournament her freshman year.....

Reaction Score
if he actually plays at least seven and perhaps eight at some point before garbage time against good competition that will be encouraging and frankly a necessity in the long run....
I'm no Jon Wooden or Geno but my personal belief is that you learn in practice and hone in games. I like what he is doing now; mixing and matching the bench with some of the "4" plus CW. A team has to look bad if they don't build up "chemistry" of some kind prior to top level game time. If he were to play ND today I think to win, he could not go beyond 7 (you pick the 7) if that deep.

Reaction Score
There is no Bents or Irvin on UConn's roster. There are not many teams that will do well against Baylor's, ND's, or MSU's height. Also, UConn is not all that small. They have 6'3", two high jumping 6'1" and a 6'5" player. They also have two 6'2" reserve players who will eventually help, imo.

Yea, I wondered about that "Small" comment too. The 2 6'2" players, if Touly can run 10 minutes as in the Vandy game I think her potential is good. Irwin, as much as I pray and hope I believe there are aspects of her physical being that won't allow her to be a big big game contributor, with her it is not about effort or desire she gives all she has to give.

Reaction Score
My biggest take away is pray none of the starters get in foul trouble
My biggest take away is pray none of the starters get in foul trouble

I say better foul trouble then an injury................I can guaranty that every coach that has big post players is going to try to get the ball inside to muscle NC or MW in the hope of easy layups or fouls.............if you can get Collier in foul trouble you've won half the rebounding battle..............that's why ONO is going to be force fed whether Geno likes it or not.........

Reaction Score
I say better foul trouble then an injury......I can guaranty that every coach that has big post players is going to try to get the ball inside to muscle NC or MW in the hope of easy layups or fouls...if you can get Collier in foul trouble you've won half the rebounding battle....that's why ONO is going to be force fed whether Geno likes it or not....

Preach bc its coming. ND is literally around the corner saying bring it

Reaction Score
Preach bc its coming. ND is literally around the corner saying bring it

Geno may need Camara and Irwin if just to use up their ten personal fouls...........who knows, maybe BC will attack the basket and return the favor to Turner an Shepard........

Reaction Score
Geno may need Camara and Irwin if just to use up their ten personal fouls......who knows, maybe BC will attack the basket and return the favor to Turner an Shepard...
Understand your point but as we all know, similar to poor defense or lack of hustle, if you foul at UConn, you don't play.

Reaction Score
Still too much perimeter play & standing around the 3-point line. A lot of passing with no purpose & then shooting 3's or fade-away jump shots late in the clock. Eventually, this team will get burned by this strategy when the shots dont fall against good teams.

I want to see more slashing & cutting to the hoop. Take the short-jumper if there is no lane to the basket. Crash the boards. Any of the 5 starters can create off the dribble. Need to be more aggressive to the hoop & put pressure on the defense. They did this at times, but not enough, imo.

The bench was horrid. I can see ONO develop slowly. Why isnt Camara playing more? - she has size & energy and can at least crash the boards off the bench. Looks like another 6 possible 7-man rotation against the good teams. Pray everyone is healthy.

Reaction Score
Understand your point but as we all know, similar to poor defense or lack of hustle, if you foul at UConn, you don't play.

I think in this instance Geno would let up a bit as the plan is to defend aggressively to draw the offensive foul from the ND front line

Reaction Score
Well, in addition to the percentages, Massey also projects a score. In those scores, UConn wins every game. The lowest percentage is 59; but, you're right, some games are as close as 3pts. Two years ago we were speculating on this board about the Huskies losing as many as 8 games. That was the year we lost the Big 3. It was also the year Phee was crazy good--and UConn won 'em all. Anyone for deja vu?

To get the expected number of wins, simply add up the percentage chances of winning each game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom