Takeaways from the Vandy game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Takeaways from the Vandy game

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
very refreshing indeed.....of course I think Geno will be far more stingy with his substitutions once games start to get more competitive.....for now it looks like ONO, Coombs and Irwin might will make up the back end of the "Big 8"
Against OSU, the bench was playing against the OSU starters and actually increased the lead. I’m not going to criticize the bench for not scoring enough.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see an undefeated season, but Massey actually has them going 28-2 (with rounding). Just because they are favored to win every game does not mean they are expected to win all of them.

For a more obvious example, if a team were given a 51% chance of winning each of 30 games, it would be pretty clear that no-one thought they would win all 30. In fact, in this example the team really would be expected to win only a fraction more than 30 games.
Excellent point. If a team were given a 51% chance of winning each of 30 games, they would have only a minuscule chance of going undefeated (.00000017%). If they had a 95% chance of winning each game, their chances of going undefeated would be only 21%. And at a 99% chance for each game, the odds of them going undefeated would still only be 74%.

This is why it's so amazing that UConn has had so many undefeated seasons. More than just "probability" going on here....

Reaction Score
Excellent point. If a team were given a 51% chance of winning each of 30 games, they would have only a minuscule chance of going undefeated (.00000017%). If they had a 95% chance of winning each game, their chances of going undefeated would be only 21%. And at a 99% chance for each game, the odds of them going undefeated would still only be 74%.

This is why it's so amazing that UConn has had so many undefeated seasons. More than just "probability" going on here....

Point I made in a post elsewhere. Consider how remarkable it is that UConn has winning streaks of 111, 90 and 70 games. It defers all reasonable expectation.

Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield has really grown into a star now that her shin splints and other ills have healed!
If she CAN stay healthy IMHO she will be UCONN's 3rd AA joining KLS and Pheesa on either the WBCA AA team or the AP AA team, getting herself on the HUSKIES OF HONOR!
I knew she had it in her if she can be healthy!
She's a 7'er trapped in a 5'5" body!
"You go girl!"

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was at the game and had great seats, four rows back where baseline meets sideline. Way closer to the action than I have ever been. Gave me greater appreciation for the physical nature of the game and the speed at which it is played. Some other random thoughts:

1. Well officiated game. Seemed like the bald ref made about 70% of the calls, though.

2. Like how CW and Megan are able to take it strong to the rim. Crystal was the best player out there with Napheesa a close second.

3. Defense seemed to really be in sync considering it was the second game of the season. Very few open looks for Vandy, switching was good and defensive boards were really good. The offense wasn't as good as the defense tonight, but it did generate open shots that we typically make. They were sharing the ball well. Shooting percentage was higher than it felt like, maybe because other than Crystal the threes weren't falling.

4. Napheesa made some shots around the rim look easy that other players would never be able to get in position to take.

5. Lou drew quite a few fouls posting up or cutting to the basket. She must get held, bumped, pushed, whacked more than any player in the country. Showed her offensive versatility on a night she couldn't get a three to drop. The shots she was getting from three were open, except one where it looked from my viewpoint that she got fouled, just off. Saw it in pregame and halftime warmups, just not dropping for her tonight.

6. ONO is going to be very good. Hopefully by March. Coombs is quick and is a good defender. I think she can contribute. Her release is unorthodox and will stand in the way of her being a consistent shooter.

7. The reserves when in together struggle on offense because they aren't able to put any pressure on the defense. But that matters little, what is more important is whether two or three can fit in with the starters for brief periods, one or two at a time. I left tonight feeling more optimistic in that regard.

8. Another reason for optimism is that the four returning starters have all upped their games from last year, and CW fits right in and can defend.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Watching the game up close gives an interesting perspective. The players are tall and fast. It seems as if there are no open spaces on the floor. I've seen some Lynx games from right behind the bench and am impressed by how big and strong Maya, Rebekkah, and Sylvia are.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
To understand our bench and how Geno feels about it, just see the last 40 seconds of his presser / interview

Vanderbilt Post-Game

1) ONO needs to get a lot of time and gives the team something we need.
2) He is speechless and incredulous about anyone else.

Face it, There is no one else on the bench taking on the challenge of consistency.

I actually thought Molly may have turned a corner a bit but no. And this glimpse of one decent game by some bench players leading to false hope is a never ending cycle.

The bench's shooting (not giving names since it was a group effort) was really really bad. It's one thing to miss a shot by a little but it was a brickyard out there.

My new mindset is to no longer question the lack of minutes on the bench but to enjoy our starters and ONO and show our potential recruits that playing time is not an issue if you have any confidence in your play.
(MW, CW, ONO)

If Geno can steal some minutes of rest, great but I do not see anything else. :(:(:mad::mad::(:(

PS. The last 2 minutes of the presser when he was being interviewed, he had real interesting things to say about some of his historic teams from a defensive point of view and how times have changed both in the mindset of today's players as well as in the way officials are calling the game tighter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I will say again. I don't care at all whether we go undefeated. I believe we have won 5 NC without being undefeated.

If we lose to ND in December, but win the NC, who cares?

We just need to keep getting better, and find 2 players who can contribute off the bench. But, we know that already. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
With our OOC schedule, the bench players MUST step up for this team to play deep into March!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I'd love to see an undefeated season, but Massey actually has them going 28-2 (with rounding). Just because they are favored to win every game does not mean they are expected to win all of them.

For a more obvious example, if a team were given a 51% chance of winning each of 30 games, it would be pretty clear that no-one thought they would win all 30. In fact, in this example the team really would be expected to win only a fraction more than 30 games.
If we can win only a fraction more than the games we play , I will be happy! ;)

Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield is the most exciting player since ... well, Moriah Jefferson.

it appears that CD is turning the corner towards MoJeff reliability on the offensive end.............that is really vital because it will prevent defenses from always doubling KLS on the three point line............

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Tougher than Geno.
Just trying to do the math in Stamfordhusky posting. But it would be good, eh? :D I am sure Geno is way tougher than I am!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While it’s still early, the one thing that stood out to me is the Huskies holding tOSU & Vandy to 29% & 25% shooting respectively. Of course these are not top tier teams, but they are P5 teams with capable players. Even when UConn is playing AAC opponents, holding a team below 30% shooting is something to celebrate.

Reaction Score
FYI: Massey has UConn going undefeated this season. The service has been correct for the last two years, and the Huskies spread in this one was close to Massey's prediction. May the Force be with it.
That's amazing. Well, I'm amazed, anyway. It's something, but let's not let it turn our heads, yes? This team is capable of being something really good by the end of the year, but thin as it is, it is one key injury away from being a "could'a-would'a-should'a" team as well. UConn-Notre Dame will be a slugfest. We'll know more then.

Reaction Score
Geno's comments in his interview about the refs calling the games much tighter is right on. I was at the Oregon State game last night, and so impressed with Rueck's teams' "in your grill defense". But the number of ticky tack calls by the referees was disappointing. There is nothing better than great defense (as Geno said about some of his past teams "not allowing the other team to even get off a shot"!). I sure hope that the referees don't become the focus of the women's basketball game.

Reaction Score
3 thoughts...1) Pheesa dominated every aspect of the game, I wish we ran more sets for her as she is a total mismatch for 5s. 2) Crystal scored extremely well but was too careless at times. 3) Lou going 0-5 isn't a big deal, she's honestly been heavily contested and will continue to be until opposing teams actually fear CW & MW. They have to prove themselves over and over until they gain respect. It will be tough sledding for Lou to get open shots until then. That being said, she's been great from mid-range and attacking the rim. I haven't seen the stats but I'm assuming she's been our 2nd best rebounder, which at 6'3", she needs to be. Love how her game has transformed.

Reaction Score
I was at the game and had great seats, four rows back where baseline meets sideline. Way closer to the action than I have ever been. Gave me greater appreciation for the physical nature of the game and the speed at which it is played. Some other random thoughts:

1. Well officiated game. Seemed like the bald ref made about 70% of the calls, though.

2. Like how CW and Megan are able to take it strong to the rim. Crystal was the best player out there with Napheesa a close second.

3. Defense seemed to really be in sync considering it was the second game of the season. Very few open looks for Vandy, switching was good and defensive boards were really good. The offense wasn't as good as the defense tonight, but it did generate open shots that we typically make. They were sharing the ball well. Shooting percentage was higher than it felt like, maybe because other than Crystal the threes weren't falling.

4. Napheesa made some shots around the rim look easy that other players would never be able to get in position to take.

5. Lou drew quite a few fouls posting up or cutting to the basket. She must get held, bumped, pushed, whacked more than any player in the country. Showed her offensive versatility on a night she couldn't get a three to drop. The shots she was getting from three were open, except one where it looked from my viewpoint that she got fouled, just off. Saw it in pregame and halftime warmups, just not dropping for her tonight.

6. ONO is going to be very good. Hopefully by March. Coombs is quick and is a good defender. I think she can contribute. Her release is unorthodox and will stand in the way of her being a consistent shooter.

7. The reserves when in together struggle on offense because they aren't able to put any pressure on the defense. But that matters little, what is more important is whether two or three can fit in with the starters for brief periods, one or two at a time. I left tonight feeling more optimistic in that regard.

8. Another reason for optimism is that the four returning starters have all upped their games from last year, and CW fits right in and can defend.
Lou got hammered several times under basket and did not fall down as she normally does. Looked like she was making an effort to stay upright and not fall into the scrum of bodies. Good news if this continues.

Reaction Score
A glass full moment. The big three is equal to or greater than any other big three. Megan Walker is playing pretty. pretty good. Double figure in scoring and can rebound. Much stronger this year and seems to know she can compete with anyone. The 5th starter, CW, is putting together a nice all-around effort in each game. She scores 8, rebounds 3, assists 3 and steals 3 in this game. I want to see the 4th and 5th player on any other team contain these two players. Geno seems to know that ONo and Coombs have to play 15 to 18 minutes a game to develop and help down the stretch. Irwin and Batoully will fight it out for the 8th spot. I am enjoying the games and I like that ND is #1 right now because the pressure if off UConn a tad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom