Take with grain of salt. Thought this B1G/BE thing possibly happening from someone claiming to be an MSG employee on JohnnyJungle seemed interesting.. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Take with grain of salt. Thought this B1G/BE thing possibly happening from someone claiming to be an MSG employee on JohnnyJungle seemed interesting..

Reaction Score
This is dumb. You wouldn't even get to play every team every year.

Reaction Score
This invites a snarky response even though the idea is intriguing.
Do the "suits" not know that the Big East already has 11 teams so we don't need to add a team to get to 10?
If not, you should let them know.
Then, since the B1G has 14 members, and the Big East has 11, this amalgamation would have 25 teams so who, pray tell, is the mystery team #26? Or is that the one we'll be adding?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This invites a snarky response even though the idea is intriguing.
Do the "suits" not know that the Big East already has 11 teams so we don't need to add a team to get to 10?
If not, you should let them know.
Then, since the B1G has 14 members, and the Big East has 11, this amalgamation would have 25 teams so who, pray tell, is the mystery team #26? Or is that the one we'll be adding?
It apparently is Kansas who is in neither league but somehow tossed into the quote

Reaction Score
The combined conferences have non-football members like the oBE. UConn becomes a football member and Kansas is brought in as a football member.

ND is committed to join the ACC if it joins any conference as a full member, but instead it joins the BIG as an affiliate member and keeps football independent, or partially Indy as it does currently with the ACC.

Basketball
Kansas, Nebraska, Creighton, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Marquette, DePaul, Northwestern

Illinois, Indiana, Butler, Purdue, Xavier, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, ND

UConn, Nova, Georgetown, St Johns, Providence, Seton Hall, Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State

Football
East - Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, and UConn

West - Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin and Kansas.
why? Money. Basketball super conference, without much change to football.

Non-rev sports can be regionalized like the basketball divisions to reduce travel and costs, with championships bringing the entire conference together.

Reaction Score
When it comes to sharing realignment rumors, you really ought to read the post out loud to yourself before deciding to share it.

While this rumor is fun, I have a hard time believing some random MSG employee has any insider knowledge on the subject.

Reaction Score
I don’t know what the real point of this would be, but I think the B1G has to do something to compete with the SEC long term. My presumption is they will move into California as rumored for starters.

If there is any truth to this rumor, the B1G may be considering something like the Big East merger just to have more control over the landscape. It would also also allow the B1G brand to saturate the heavily populated Big East markets. More content for the Big Ten Network too.

Reaction Score
When it comes to sharing realignment rumors, you really ought to read the post out loud to yourself before deciding to share it.

While this rumor is fun, I have a hard time believing some random MSG employee has any insider knowledge on the subject.

Its the off season so just go with it. Sort of like buying one of those $500 million lottery tickets - you know you're not going to win but for a day or two you can walk around thinking you might. '

Figure we're only one or two pages away from us getting a Big10 football invite and playing Ohio State for the conference championship.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A full merger sounds suspect. I would not be surprised if the Big East was added to the Big 10/Pac 12/ACC scheduling alliance.

Reaction Score
Basketball
Kansas, Nebraska, Creighton, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Marquette, DePaul, Northwestern

Illinois, Indiana, Butler, Purdue, Xavier, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, ND

UConn, Nova, Georgetown, St Johns, Providence, Seton Hall, Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State

Football
East - Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, and UConn

West - Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin and Kansas.
sign me up. the catholic schools get 1/4 shares which would still be worth more than they get from the current BE deal. UConn and KU get 1/2 shares which would prob be worth around what the new big12 deal would pay KU. UConn would be the biggest winner in this round of realignment for once. ND still gets a full share as they do from the ACC assuming they also play 5 football games/year.

in terms of revenue shares the big10 would be dividing it by 18.5 instead of 14 which seems well worth it to them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
sign me up. the catholic schools get 1/4 shares which would still be worth more than they get from the current BE deal. UConn and KU get 1/2 shares which would prob be worth around what the new big12 deal would pay KU. UConn would be the biggest winner in this round of realignment for once.
What about Butler?

Reaction Score
You could actually do some play-in games at MSG to determine, say, 3 of the BE participants.

Needless to say, ALL BE teams would require huge amounts of cash for this to become a reality.

I don't know what's in this for the B1G. They don't make enough money?

Reaction Score
I don't think this will happen. That said, college basketball has big potential upside in revenues given how the NCAA currently controls the NCAA basket tournament revenues (may not be the case LT) and conference networks need more attractive content as the cable bundle continues to deteriorate.

Reaction Score
Needless to say, ALL BE teams would require huge amounts of cash for this to become a reality.

I don't know what's in this for the B1G. They don't make enough money?
not huge amounts, just a few million more than the current BE pays. that's a drop in the bucket for the big10 but very valuable to the BE. even if each BE team received 1/4 shares as compared to big10 football members, we'd be getting more money than we do now from the fox deal.

and yeah the big10 wont be making enough compared to the SEC once UT and OU join and they get a new tv deal

Reaction Score
What’s the end game from this Craziness? 3 divisions of 9 teams, top 5 in each division plus one wildcard makes the tourney at MSG? This would be a really sick tournament.

This requires an addition which it seems could be Kansas. Why would Kansas do this?

If the B1G can keep their football money intact and each team picks up an extra 10M then it’s doable. Add in the additional cable or streaming fees for the B1G network. There may be enough money, but this is too crazy. BTW, the women’s side would be a fun tournament also. I thought the UConn women put up some good numbers on the B1G network?

I cant see Fox paying 260M a year for this though. How could this be profitable?

how much would a football scheduling alliance of 3+ games be worth to Kansas and UConn?

edit: my assumption is this is basketball only.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What’s the end game from this Craziness? 3 divisions of 9 teams, top 5 in each division plus one wildcard makes the tourney at MSG? This would be a really sick tournament.

This requires an addition which it seems could be Kansas. Why would Kansas do this?

If the B1G can keep their football money intact and each team picks up an extra 10M then it’s doable. Add in the additional cable or streaming fees for the B1G network. There may be enough money, but this is too crazy. BTW, the women’s side would be a fun tournament also. I thought the UConn women put up some good numbers on the B1G network?

I cant see Fox paying 260M a year for this though. How could this be profitable?

how much would a football scheduling alliance of 3+ games be worth to Kansas and UConn?

edit: my assumption is this is basketball only.
How could this be profitable?
I think the B12 TV deal ends 2025 and B10 ends 2023.
Both conferences have espn/fox split deals.
The B10 negotiates a new 6 year deal with Kansas getting the equivalent of its current B12 deal for the balance of this new deal after joining in 2025 (the new B12 deal will be less).
UConn gets $15m per year.
The 10 non football schools get $10M (in total a $50M per year increase).
The offset is the devaluation of the B12 and AAC contracts. The networks are paying less in total, and aren’t paying to the lower tier AAC and B12 programs.

Reaction Score
How could this be profitable?
I think the B12 TV deal ends 2025 and B10 ends 2023.
Both conferences have espn/fox split deals.
The B10 negotiates a new 6 year deal with Kansas getting the equivalent of its current B12 deal for the balance of this new deal after joining in 2025 (the new B12 deal will be less).
UConn gets $15m per year.
The 10 non football schools get $10M (in total a $50M per year increase).
The offset is the devaluation of the B12 and AAC contracts. The networks are paying less in total, and aren’t paying to the lower tier AAC and B12 programs.
I’d like you to be right, but no way the BE members or just UConn get more than the B1G Teams.

Reaction Score
Someone should post this on a popular big 10 board and see the reactions.

Reaction Score
Someone should post this on a popular big 10 board and see the reactions.

The reactions would be similar to the Rutgers add. it’s about money. They took Rutgers for cash. The extra 10+M is a significant amount, but if the P4 can shake off the ncaa then that 1B in tourney revenue goes to the schools directly. That’s the gold mine and a near term target.

Reaction Score
if you check out the JohnnyJungle website you will see that it is a seldom visited site with little or no credibility.

There is no substance to the rumor. The B10 will not split revenue with any other conference; the B10 does not need any other conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom