Take Some Time to Stop and Smell the Roses | The Boneyard

Take Some Time to Stop and Smell the Roses

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Once again, UConn WBB has navigated a brutal OOC schedule, which is arguably tougher than last year’s gauntlet of ranked teams. While Husky fans have suffered an unusually high level of anxiety due to nagging injuries, inconsistent play off the bench and maybe just “outsized expectations,” for the 10th time in the program’s history UConn is 25-0. With all the stress that seems to be associated with being a diehard Husky fan, I would respectfully suggest that now is a good time for all of us to step back, take a deep breath and enjoy this.

At the risk of angering the MOJO gods, there is no chance that UConn will lose another game during the 4 remaining regular season games or in the AAC conference tournament. For the 5th straight season, UConn has basically secured the #1 overall seed for the Big Dance. That means a couple warmup games against overmatched opponents in Storrs during the first two rounds, followed by a trip to a sold-out TUC in Albany which is about as neutral a sight as Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport or the Mohegan Sun. In the Regionals, at worst, UConn would face a #16 overall seed in the Sweet 16 and a #8 overall seed in the Elite 8 game.

Assuming UConn makes it to the FF for the eleventh straight season (We truly are spoiled), the two toughest opponents (MS St & Baylor?) will be on the other side of the bracket, leaving UConn with the possibility of facing a team in the semifinals that they’ve already beaten, or perhaps a team like TN, if they can somehow manage to overcome their tendency to implode. If UConn should make it to the finals, no coaching staff is better at preparing for a quick turnaround for the championship game than Geno, CD, Shea & Marissa. As I'm sure everyone knows, UConn has never lost in a national championship game.

Of course, nothing is guaranteed. But I for one plan to watch the Huskies over the next several weeks with a sense of calm, appreciating what they have accomplished once again, and making sure to take some time to stop and smell the roses.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Once again, UConn WBB has navigated a brutal OOC schedule, which is arguably tougher than last year’s gauntlet of ranked teams. While Husky fans have suffered an unusually high level of anxiety due to nagging injuries, inconsistent play off the bench and maybe just “outsized expectations,” for the 10th time in the program’s history UConn is 25-0. With all the stress that seems to be associated with being a diehard Husky fan, I would respectfully suggest that now is a good time for all of us to step back, take a deep breath and enjoy this.

At the risk of angering the MOJO gods, there is no chance that UConn will lose another game during the 4 remaining regular season games or in the AAC conference tournament. For the 5th straight season, UConn has basically secured the #1 overall seed for the Big Dance. That means a couple warmup games against overmatched opponents in Storrs during the first two rounds, followed by a trip to a sold-out TUC in Albany which is about as neutral a sight as Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport or the Mohegan Sun. In the Regionals, at worst, UConn would face a #16 overall seed in the Sweet 16 and a #8 overall seed in the Elite 8 game.

Assuming UConn makes it to the FF for the eleventh straight season (We truly are spoiled), the two toughest opponents (MS St & Baylor?) will be on the other side of the bracket, leaving UConn with the possibility of facing a team in the semifinals that they’ve already beaten, or perhaps a team like TN, if they can somehow manage to overcome their tendency to implode. If UConn should make it to the finals, no coaching staff is better at preparing for a quick turnaround for the championship game than Geno, CD, Shea & Marissa. As I'm sure everyone knows, UConn has never lost in a national championship game.

Of course, nothing is guaranteed. But I for one plan to watch the Huskies over the next several weeks with a sense of calm, appreciating what they have accomplished once again, and making sure to take some time to stop and smell the roses.
You must have read my post in the "How do you like me now" thread. But yours has a much nicer tone. ;)

Reaction Score
How much better is a Baylor or a Mississippi State than the team we beat by double-digits last night? At the margins, if at all. And the fact that neither will have played us already greatly increases the odds that they run right into the same disorienting buzz saw that the Cardinals did during last night's first quarter.

Who would YOU want to be in that championship game, UConn, or the other guys? :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How much better is a Baylor or a Mississippi State than the team we beat by double-digits last night? At the margins, if at all. And the fact that neither will have played us already greatly increases the odds that they walk into the same disorienting buzz saw that the Cardinals did during last night's first quarter.

Who would YOU want to be in that championship game, UConn, or the other guys? :)
Agree with your post. My only concern with Baylor or MS St is the problem their size might give the Huskies. If we can get Z to play BIG, like she did in the 2nd half last night, without getting into foul trouble, I like UConn’s chances.

Reaction Score
Agree with your post. My only concern with Baylor or MS St is the problem their size might give the Huskies. If we can get Z to play BIG, like she did in the 2nd half last night, without getting into foul trouble, I like UConn’s chances.
Exactly. That's why I liked how the Huskies were able to defend A'ja Wilson two weeks ago. And why I loved hearing from Lou last night that our hall-of-fame associate head coach is putting in extra time with Azura on a daily basis!

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Again, I am going to show my bracketology ignorance. How is it that MSST and Baylor will be on the other side of the bracket? Isn't there a chance that BU could be the #4 seed? I am using the assumption that MSST and Baylor run through there respective conferences and the ACC champion, either ND or Louisville, is the #3 overall seed.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Again, I am going to show my bracketology ignorance. How is it that MSST and Baylor will be on the other side of the bracket? Isn't there a chance that BU could be the #4 seed? I am using the assumption that MSST and Baylor run through there respective conferences and the ACC champion, either ND or Louisville, is the #3 overall seed.
You are correct that Baylor could be a 4 seed. My general feeling is that if MS St, Baylor & Louisville all win out, they would end up as the overall #2, #3 & #4 seeds respectfully, but we will certainly have to see how it all shakes out.

Reaction Score

I'm no expert either, by my current assumptions are that Mississippi State is a lock to be the second or third overall # 1 seed, and that Baylor will probably be the top #2 seed. That means State would go to the other half of the draw, and that Baylor would not be placed in the Albany regional along with the top overall #1 seed, leaving a 67% chance that Baylor ends up in the other half of the draw too.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm no expert either, by my current assumptions are that Mississippi State is a lock to be the second or third overall # 1 seed, and that Baylor will probably be the top #2 seed. That means State would go to the other half of the draw, and that Baylor would not be placed in the Albany regional along with the top overall #1 seed, leaving a 67% chance that Baylor ends up in the other half of the draw too.
The top 2 seed should be matched wth the last 1 seed. That would not place them in the Albany region, but it would place that team in the national semifinal vs the winner of the Albany region, should that team advance to the FF.

Ms St looks like a lock for #2 or #3 overall seed. My preference would be for Baylor to be seeded as the overall #2, #3, or #6-7, which would mean that the only way they play UConn is if both teams make it to the championship game.

Reaction Score

Stress?? How can you be a Uconn Women's basketball fan and be stressed? They win 99.999% of their games. :confused:

Reaction Score

the issue with Baylor is that they have not one but two talented bigs that often play together...............it will be interesting to see how Geno handles that mismatch.................of course whatever advantage that size represents to Baylor will be negated by UConn's superior quickness so it should be fascinating to watch if it happens...........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
the issue with Baylor is that they have not one but two talented bigs that often play together.....it will be interesting to see how Geno handles that mismatch.......of course whatever advantage that size represents to Baylor will be negated by UConn's superior quickness so it should be fascinating to watch if it happens......
Baylor had something of the same formidable front court last year, alternately playing some combination of Brown, Monpremier, Cox & Cave, along with a much deeper group of guards & wings. UConn seemed to handle that challenge pretty well as I recall.

Reaction Score
Baylor had something of the same formidable front court last year, alternately playing some combination of Brown, Monpremier, Cox & Cave, along with a much deeper group of guards & wings. UConn seemed to handle that challenge pretty well as I recall.

that's very true but Cox has really made huge strides and is far more of an offensive threat then Monpremier or Cave ever were...............she's averaging about 16 points and ten rebounds a game per 29 minutes..............

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Maybe Geno will talk to Z like he did to Stewart before the start of the NCAA Tournament her freshman season and tell her UCONN needs her to play to her potential for just six games. If she does, UCONN should definitely win it all.

Reaction Score
Maybe Geno will talk to Z like he did to Stewart before the start of the NCAA Tournament her freshman season and tell her UCONN needs her to play to her potential for just six games. If she does, UCONN should definitely win it all.
Z is not Stewie, I'm afraid. Last night, Z redeemed herself by playing a fine 4th Q, but she is simply not the athlete that Stewie was, nor is she naturally a big. She is a wing in a big's body, but right now UConn needs her to play like a big. A lot easier said than done.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Z is not Stewie, I'm afraid. Last night, Z redeemed herself by playing a fine 4th Q, but she is simply not the athlete that Stewie was, nor is she naturally a big. She is a wing in a big's body, but right now UConn needs her to play like a big. A lot easier said than done.
She does not have to be Stewie. If she plays to her potential she will make it easier for UCONN to win it all. If that is playing down low or hitting threes as she does in practice, rebounding and playing decent defense, it will help. Play like she did in the fourth quarter or like she has in some other productive games she has had this season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She does not have to be Stewie. If she plays to her potential she will make it easier for UCONN to win it all. If that is playing down low or hitting threes as she does in practice, rebounding and playing decent defense, it will help. Play like she did in the fourth quarter or like she has in some other productive games she has had this season.
Z made a play in the 4th qtr with Louisville threatening to make it close when Lou was forced to take a 3 as the shot clock wound down. Z came flying down the lane, jumped up to grab the rebound, towering over every other player on the court, and made the easy putback.

Now that’s what we would all like to see more of.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom