Take Notice From One Hardcore Fan | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Take Notice From One Hardcore Fan

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If anyone is counting on the revenue when fans to come back to the Rent after year 5 of RE2.0 when UConn averages 6.5 wins a year (one of which is probably ECU and another is URI or in a good year, UMass)... I have a section of Wall in Texas I'd like to sell you.

I've heard a lot about your wall recently. ;)

To counter your point, what I'll say is this: The fact that we were able to get 21,000 people to come out to see an 0-2 team play against Rhode Island after 6 consecutive losing seasons tells me you're wrong.

7-5 / 8-4 will, for better or worse, have us back to 34k+...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've heard a lot about your wall recently. ;)

To counter your point, what I'll say is this: The fact that we were able to get 21,000 people to come out to see an 0-2 team play against Rhode Island after 6 consecutive losing seasons tells me you're wrong.

7-5 / 8-4 will, for better or worse, have us back to 34k+...

We don’t really get that many people.

They print tickets give them away and announce what they distribute.

If they don’t pay who cares if they come anyway. So Laz and Spectrum make some money?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We don’t really get that many people.

They print tickets give them away and announce what they distribute.

If they don’t pay who cares if they come anyway. So Laz and Spectrum make some money?

That's another matter, and I agree with you about that.

But the fact remains that when we are winning, we get at least 10k more paying customers. That's the overall point.

As you know, I've long been a proponent of lower season ticket costs to maximize attendance, build the base, and improve the game day experience. Their penny wise, pound poor approach has really done a number on us from a lot of fronts (pricing, coaching hires, etc.)...

Reaction Score
Or
The only thing the next AAC media deal will decide is how slowly we bleed out.
If in the next 5-10 years we are not going to get P5 money (not part of the next realignment and/or AAC money not enough to sustain the current AD spending), the whole AD mission/structure will have to be rethought. Do we decide that life in the AAC is good enough and spend accordingly? I don't know if that is bleeding out, but more of a forced paradigm shift.

Reaction Score
The offense lost it’s 5 of its 6 best players or so plus the center. I’m sure it will be fine.

What’s a tight end?

I think we had the same problem last year. Going into the season, we lost our QB (Shirreffs), Newson and Hopkins (RBs), Myers and Bloom (TEs), and 2 OL starters. The offense was able to recover.

Pindell struggled passing, but he was a great athlete and he was able to scramble/run for over 1000 yards. I don't think that is the offense that UConn envisioned. Look at the receivers who tailed off in 2018 over 2017:

Mayala 43 catches to 40 catches
Skanes 35 catches to 0 catches
Dixon 33 catches to 11 catches
Beals 30 catches to 7 catches
Donaldson 16 catches to 0 catches

3 of those players come back in 2019.

UConn should have a pretty strong running games with Mensa, Scott, Black, and Thompkins (and possible O'Reilly) with a veteran OLine. The key is going to be QB development.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think we had the same problem last year. Going into the season, we lost our QB (Shirreffs), Newson and Hopkins (RBs), Myers and Bloom (TEs), and 2 OL starters. The offense was able to recover.

Pindell struggled passing, but he was a great athlete and he was able to scramble/run for over 1000 yards. I don't think that is the offense that UConn envisioned. Look at the receivers who tailed off in 2018 over 2017:

Mayala 43 catches to 40 catches
Skanes 35 catches to 0 catches
Dixon 33 catches to 11 catches
Beals 30 catches to 7 catches
Donaldson 16 catches to 0 catches

3 of those players come back in 2019.

UConn should have a pretty strong running games with Mensa, Scott, Black, and Thompkins (and possible O'Reilly) with a veteran OLine. The key is going to be QB development.

Yeah not having a quarterback may complicate things.

Reaction Score
Yeah not having a quarterback may complicate things.
Based on how Pindell played in 2017, who thought he would have a solid season in 2018? I think UConn will get a JUCO or Grad transfer QB and we'll see how the young guys develop.

Reaction Score
...I think UConn will get a JUCO or Grad transfer QB and we'll see how the young guys develop.

That was the plan (i.e Weaver). Hasn't happened yet -- at least publicly, and probably in actuality.

Reaction Score
According to 247, here's UConn's recruiting rankings in conference:

2013: 4th
2014: 11th
2015: 10th
2016: 12th
2017: 10th
2018: 12th
2019: 11th

Tough to win like that.

Reaction Score

Tough to win like that.

According to 247, the average AAC recruiting rankings from the last four years for the jobbers of the league:

#6.25 SMU
#7.00 ECU
#7.25 Temple
#8.00 Tulane
#9.75 Navy
#10.00 Tulsa
#11.25 UConn

And Tulsa looked like Alabama against UConn. Unreal.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
S and LOVE English Premier League soccer but only if the match is called by Arlo White, Leigh Dixon, and Graehm LeSaux. There, I have said it. And if you want to know what the worldwide gold standard for sports broadcasting is, watch those last three on NBC on a Saturday.

LOLOLOLOL, those three are absolute trash, especially Arlo "Call Every Game Like Its On Radio And Never Shut Up" White. Isn't just me, ask around, check out World Soccer Talk True #casualfan stuff to like Arlo and not the PL world feed announcers whoa re *actually good*.

John Champion is 1000x the announcer Arlo ever was. Shame he's on MLS now. But Peter Drury and Jim Prodfoot remain, who are a mere 500x better than Arlo.

#soccerhottake

Reaction Score
The 2020 O-line should still be very good, we lose Peart but I expect he will be replaced by Cam DeGeorge moving from guard to tackle. My 2020 O-line projection:

Van Demark and DeGeorge at tackle
Leone and Haynes at guard
Either Rooney or Hubbard at center

2021 will be the year we see a drop off.
Yep, missed a year. Concerned once the Qb position gets settled the Oline will be unsettled.

Reaction Score
LOLOLOLOL, those three are absolute trash, especially Arlo "Call Every Game Like Its On Radio And Never Shut Up" White. Isn't just me, ask around, check out World Soccer Talk True #casualfan stuff to like Arlo and not the PL world feed announcers whoa re *actually good*.

John Champion is 1000x the announcer Arlo ever was. Shame he's on MLS now. But Peter Drury and Jim Prodfoot remain, who are a mere 500x better than Arlo.
Each to his own opinion (even if it is wildly off the mark). You do know we are talking about American audiences, right? Ya know, I have played the game for probably decades longer than you. I am always amused by the internet-informed Johnnies Come Lately and most of the fans who go to international friendlies in the states.

zls44

Reaction Score
Each to his own opinion (even if it is wildly off the mark). You do know we are talking about American audiences, right? Ya know, I have played the game for probably decades longer than you. I am always amused by the internet-informed Johnnies Come Lately and most of the fans who go to international friendlies in the states.

The gold standard is never, ever a three-person booth. Especially when the pbp guy never shuts up.

I am on your lawn and I am not leaving, gramps. :)

Reaction Score
The gold standard is never, ever a three-person booth. Especially when the pbp guy never shuts up.

I am on your lawn and I am not leaving, gramps. :)
Thanks for the lecture and the name calling. Unless you've played at a high level within the decade I am sure I could kick your butt in soccer or a number of other sports. Btw, a very British observation to complain about all the talking. Typical of American soccer fans who try so hard to copy other countries such as chanting Ole or beating drums. And on the off chance that you are capable of understanding all the intricacies of the EPL, I would suggest that you get a life. The NBC coverage is exactly what the American market needs.

zls44

Reaction Score
And on the off chance that you are capable of understanding all the intricacies of the EPL, I would suggest that you get a life.

I can, factually, state that I know the league better than you ever have, considering covering it has been Literally My Job for 12 years. But what do I know, I'm sure this Emmy for that work just won itself. :D:D:p

I love 99% of what NBC does. You picked the 1% that stinks, that's all. They have a ton of great talent. And Arlo.

Also, anyone on here needs to get a life! :D

zls44

Reaction Score
Our AD budget is big enough - we just don’t spend it on priorities and cut the other nonsense and bloated administrator salaries.

The number of folks in the AD who have just hung on for years and years and years and years who are tied back to the Lew Perkins days is pretty incredible.

Reaction Score
I can, factually, state that I know the league better than you ever have, considering covering it has been Literally My Job for 12 years. But what do I know, I'm sure this Emmy for that work just won itself. :D:D:p

I love 99% of what NBC does. You picked the 1% that stinks, that's all. They have a ton of great talent. And Arlo.

Also, anyone on here needs to get a life! :D
Oh really, point me to your work product. And have you actually played anything?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Tough to win like that.

We really had the 4th best class in 2013?! Ugh. That makes the 2017 and 2018 seasons seem even worse. In theory, that 4th best class should have been the Junior/Senior leaders of bowl-bound teams...not the absolute worst team in NCAA history.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yeah, the football team's awfulness has hurt the basketball program for a P5 conference bid. It's time to either go independent, find a way to get to the MAC or drop down to FCS. Move basketball to the Big East and save the brand. Chasing a dream that will never come has hurt the basketball team. UConn basketball first, second, always. Football never.
What an awful take?!?!

The P5 is made up of the SEC, ACC, PAC-12, Big 10, and Big "12". It is also a distinction that came about because of football. The Big East is not a part of it and a P5 conference will not invite a basketball-only.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What an awful take?!?!

The P5 is made up of the SEC, ACC, PAC-12, Big 10, and Big "12". It is also a distinction that came about because of football. The Big East is not a part of it and a P5 conference will not invite a basketball-only.
I had the same reaction....
Sad!

Reaction Score
It's hard to believe how shortsighted humans are. "Oh, my feelings are hurt! Shut the program down! We lost to UMass! I can't face my coworkers tomorrow!" My stepsister is a UMass grad and she couldn't care, at all.

Connecticut, the state where grown men are emo and need safe spaces. We're ahead of our time. This is going to help with recruiting the south. Cry about budget all you want. Where's the crying about the national deficit?

If Memphis and Temple can succeed, so can we. Geez.

If Edsall goes, we're going to obviously need someone who can recruit better. But looks like he wants to build up his roster over time instead, ala Anthony Sherman style.

Reaction Score
What an awful take?!?!

You mean a realistic take.

Let's be honest and saving basketball from this godforsaken conference is most important and if it means moving football to the MAC or Indy or FCS then so be it. UConn basketball forever...UConn football never.

Reaction Score
I am guessing that several decades from now that the relative importance of the FB and BB programs will still be raging.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom