Take-aways from the Houston game | The Boneyard

Take-aways from the Houston game

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think by and large it's a game Geno will want the team to put in the rear view mirror so I won't belabor any of the criticism I think he's likely to have. But on the good-ish side...

Nurse played really good defense for the most part from what I could see.
Lou played much better after about 6 minutes into the 2nd half
Chong is solid in pretty much every aspect of what she does
Butler follows up some head-scratching things with some solid play. Can't seem to figure her out
Gabby - player of the game IMHO. Best player on the floor, and it wasn't close
Kyla - to me she showed she is more ready to get PT than Molly. Molly had a nifty pass and made a 3 point basket, but her head seems to be holding her back... Kyla on the other hand was very active and looked for her shot.
Collier - meh. Double double (and 5 steals), but not a strong or complete game from her. I think Geno expects more...
Tierney - got her 4 minutes...

This team has been so much more than expected for everyone, I think, so when they have an off game, it's much more noticeable. They had flashes of great team play, but by and large, it was an inconsistent effort. Still, a big margin of victory, but not the "prettiest" game to watch...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If Natalie wasn't needed for her size in future games against So Carolina and the tournament, I would almost like to see Kayla get her minutes. Natalie is the better player at this time, but she's so inconsistent in her play that at times it would a wash if Kayla got her minutes.

Reaction Score
A few from me:

- Geno said it best after game that this is the first game it seemed like they just showed up but it's not a concern since it's not a pattern.

- Gabby never just shows up (or Kia.). Both have an above average level of competitiveness. Don't want to overstate it since all the women play hard but these two just seem like "warriors" ready to battle for anything and everything on the court...Always...

- Lou disappointed me for the first time this year and it's not the misses. I think Lou and Pheese were the two most guilty or just "showing up.". It's hard to pin point but the level of concentration/sharpness is the best way i can put it.

- On Lou's behalf I felt there were a number of times she called for ball down low with smaller defender in first half and they did not pass it to her. I mention this because she will typically, almost always, have a height advantage so they should target this more. I have seen them do it well at times throughout year too but not exploiting it as much as I think they can.

- Butler needs to play the same way against the better teams (minus dribbling the ball once catching ball down low.) What I mean is the aggressiveness and looking to score. She actually has not been bad in the other areas when playing the better teams.

- Kyla is improving across the board. Obviously we need to temper our expectations but like to see her get more game time earlier in some of these conference games.

- Molly shows flashes but agree with most that it's a mental thing where she just needs to just play. Her instincts serve her well on defense she needs to trust them on offense.

Reaction Score
First game that I've felt positive about Kyla. For whatever reason she actually looked comfortable out there today, and it showed not only in shooting but the way she handled the ball for the most part. I keep waiting for someone to yank on that braid, but I like it better than Kia's ponytail.
Kyla isn't as big as Butler, but big enough to throw her weight around a little. We can afford a few fouls from her, but not the little ticky-tac ones like today. Make them count!

Reaction Score
For what ever reason ( your guess is as good as mine ) the girls started the game like they were just going threw the motions. When they had to pick it up the shots still did not fall but the defense was strong for the most part. It has always amazed me how Geno gets the girls to play UConn basketball and not play to the competition. Today we dropped a little and to most of us it was not pretty to watch, hopefully the coaches can get it out of their system and things will return to normal. Yes Gabby was awesome again today.

Reaction Score
Don't agree with many here on Kyla. This wasn't a good she played against. She is very slow in the post. She can't be relied on to defend. Molly can at least play D. From the bench for the 8th player coming off of it- you want "defense" for the most part for this team imo. We can score usually.

Reaction Score
If Natalie wasn't needed for her size in future games against So Carolina and the tournament, I would almost like to see Kayla get her minutes. Natalie is the better player at this time, but she's so inconsistent in her play that at times it would a wash if Kayla got her minutes.
We've seen ONE good game from Kyla--from her an exceptional game--but only ONE. Molly as SanDiego has pointed out--shows talent and ability--I know she can shoot --she did in HS--the 3 was no fluke--she rushes her shots --and rushes most everything else--she played good D, passed well, but there is that little bitty bit missing. Kyla as SD above pointed out if she continues will get the first off the bench (after natalie).
Natalie is much improved--made 2 bad decisions--rushing to be shed of the ball. She put the dam ball on the floor (again) and it was immediately taken--can't Geno/Christine fix that?? She shot well and was willing to shoot. She rebounded well. Mostly, she passed well. At this moment--it is Natalie over kyla.

Reaction Score
We've seen ONE good game from Kyla--from her an exceptional game--but only ONE. Molly as SanDiego has pointed out--shows talent and ability--I know she can shoot --she did in HS--the 3 was no fluke--she rushes her shots --and rushes most everything else--she played good D, passed well, but there is that little bitty bit missing. Kyla as SD above pointed out if she continues will get the first off the bench (after natalie).
Natalie is much improved--made 2 bad decisions--rushing to be shed of the ball. She put the dam ball on the floor (again) and it was immediately taken--can't Geno/Christine fix that?? She shot well and was willing to shoot. She rebounded well. Mostly, she passed well. At this moment--it is Natalie over kyla.
No. And I'm sure they've tried. She will graduate UConn with the same bad habits with which she came - they are hard to break.

Reaction Score
Don't agree with many here on Kyla. This wasn't a good she played against. She is very slow in the post. She can't be relied on to defend. Molly can at least play D. From the bench for the 8th player coming off of it- you want "defense" for the most part for this team imo. We can score usually.
The game Kyla played was exceptional for the Kyla we had seen prior to this. Credit where credit is due. She is NOT ready for prime time yet--neither is Molly. I agree Geno wants first and foremost--Defense--but you'd better be able to score--he made that very very clear a week or so ago to the 5 bench sitters--score-clear your head and score. And Kyla , Natalie and lawlor got to it--Molly not so much. Her D is very good.
If Molly could develop Kyla's mental attitude--she'd be first player off the bench (and scoring)
Most of what you say about Kyla is/was true. However for Kyla this was a huge step forward--will she continue??? Only the basketball gods know for sure.

Reaction Score
No. And I'm sure they've tried. She will graduate UConn with the same bad habits with which she came - they are hard to break.
I don't want to believe what you say--but the truth is the truth.

Reaction Score
To be fair, Nat doesn't put the ball on the floor as much... I am pleased with Kyla's progress. She could be quite useful by season's end. Molly showed some flashes - Geno will haunt her about the missed layup though!

Reaction Score
A few from me:

- Geno said it best after game that this is the first game it seemed like they just showed up but it's not a concern since it's not a pattern.

- Gabby never just shows up (or Kia.). Both have an above average level of competitiveness. Don't want to overstate it since all the women play hard but these two just seem like "warriors" ready to battle for anything and everything on the court...Always...

- Lou disappointed me for the first time this year and it's not the misses. I think Lou and Pheese were the two most guilty or just "showing up.". It's hard to pin point but the level of concentration/sharpness is the best way i can put it.

- On Lou's behalf I felt there were a number of times she called for ball down low with smaller defender in first half and they did not pass it to her. I mention this because she will typically, almost always, have a height advantage so they should target this more. I have seen them do it well at times throughout year too but not exploiting it as much as I think they can.

- Butler needs to play the same way against the better teams (minus dribbling the ball once catching ball down low.) What I mean is the aggressiveness and looking to score. She actually has not been bad in the other areas when playing the better teams.

- Kyla is improving across the board. Obviously we need to temper our expectations but like to see her get more game time earlier in some of these conference games.

- Molly shows flashes but agree with most that it's a mental thing where she just needs to just play. Her instincts serve her well on defense she needs to trust them on offense.

Funny--I heard the same thing you did and I thought he was unhappy with UH saying they just showed up--.. I didn't see how he could have been speaking of the whole Uconn team--maybe Napheesa wasn't playing at 110 percent--but Gabby, Kia, Butler, Chong, KLS seemed to be playing their game. Even the Bench played well in the 4th quarter--was this because they played well or because UH was just phoning in the game???
Every thing about Molly say--she'll be good--and yet she isn't! Mental"?? I'll ask my shrink--his name is Rover--I tell him all my troubles!!

Reaction Score
I enjoy Nat, Molly, and Kyla playing together in the game. Really good assists made today.

Reaction Score
To be fair, Nat doesn't put the ball on the floor as much... I am pleased with Kyla's progress. She could be quite useful by season's end. Molly showed some flashes - Geno will haunt her about the missed layup though!
Fairness and you are correct--not as much--but it is still infuriating to see it happen--because it is just plain stupid--to do in the midst of 3 small guards--bounce it on their heads??
If Kyla can repeat this game 2 or 3 more times I'll agree with you--this was an exceptional game for KYLA--(not for the big 4) and if the progress continues--another scorer will be of great help. I'd kick Molly's sweet seat for that missed layup--there was no pressure (except in her brain) to rush it---it was a gimme!! She is just too tight--expects too much from herself--easier said than done.

Reaction Score
First game that I've felt positive about Kyla. For whatever reason she actually looked comfortable out there today, and it showed not only in shooting but the way she handled the ball for the most part. I keep waiting for someone to yank on that braid, but I like it better than Kia's ponytail.
Kyla isn't as big as Butler, but big enough to throw her weight around a little. We can afford a few fouls from her, but not the little ticky-tac ones like today. Make them count!
Kyla has not hesitation about much and has no problems pushing people around (Butler did hesitate on physical contact--Refs call big girls first). A game to build on.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Can anyone explain to me why the game had to start early, not allowing for pregame shoot around? Something else doing at Xcel? Or a TV time thing? Kara believes the less than stellar play had all to do with these factors.

Reaction Score
UConn doesn't need Kyla to be ready for prime-time. Just needs her for 5-8 minutes tops against South Carolina (and Baylor if they meet up again) to not give up too much. Seems like she flashed some of that today.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Another record was broken this game. Napheesa and Lou became the highest scoring back court. Napheesa and Lou, broke Maya and Tiffany record.

If this team has targeted Maya's team to beat, I say keep doing what you are doing.

I love this team. To keep motivated they are going after records to break (UConn) and become the best team in UConn's history. This team will not be denied.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
The stats just do not reinforce that they play was less than stellar.
Consider:

1. 49 point spread
2. Scored six more than their average of 85.
3. 29 assists
4. 5 in double figures
5. Two with more than 10 rebounds
6. "Just" 40% from 3 and "just" 49% from the field.
7. Other than a poke in the eye, no significant injuries.

No doubt the bar is set way too high. So they might have been a little bored against a bad Houston team. Still a really productive day.

Reaction Score
I don't know what you guys are looking at. I really like all these kids but this is Connecticut not a mid major. Playing at the end of a game against the end of the bench of a mediocre team isn't a measure of anything relevant to the big games that are coming up. Kyla won't replace Butler even with Nat's limitations. That's silly. Relatively slow 6 footers are over matched in the top 25. Molly might wake up, she might not. You have to be great not simply competent to get minutes in a real game. I think it's unfair, recruiting ordinary players for the CT bench. The new kids will move right past them next year. Everybody is the same in God's eyes but not on the court. Geno will play only 7 players in the big games and hope the refs don't foul them out.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Can anyone explain to me why the game had to start early, not allowing for pregame shoot around? Something else doing at Xcel? Or a TV time thing? Kara believes the less than stellar play had all to do with these factors.
There's a 7 pm Wolfpack Hockey game and they need to convert the arena over.

Reaction Score
I think by and large it's a game Geno will want the team to put in the rear view mirror so I won't belabor any of the criticism I think he's likely to have. But on the good-ish side...

Nurse played really good defense for the most part from what I could see.
Lou played much better after about 6 minutes into the 2nd half
Chong is solid in pretty much every aspect of what she does
Butler follows up some head-scratching things with some solid play. Can't seem to figure her out
Gabby - player of the game IMHO. Best player on the floor, and it wasn't close
Kyla - to me she showed she is more ready to get PT than Molly. Molly had a nifty pass and made a 3 point basket, but her head seems to be holding her back... Kyla on the other hand was very active and looked for her shot.
Collier - meh. Double double (and 5 steals), but not a strong or complete game from her. I think Geno expects more...
Tierney - got her 4 minutes...

This team has been so much more than expected for everyone, I think, so when they have an off game, it's much more noticeable. They had flashes of great team play, but by and large, it was an inconsistent effort. Still, a big margin of victory, but not the "prettiest" game to watch...
I just returned from the game.not to excuse our ladies but when the other team's coach runs the shot clock down on every possession , everyone wants to go to sleep.shame on him. What are you teaching your kids let's lose by 50 instead of 60?

Reaction Score
I don't know what you guys are looking at. I really like all these kids but this is Connecticut not a mid major. Playing at the end of a game against the end of the bench of a mediocre team isn't a measure of anything relevant to the big games that are coming up. Kyla won't replace Butler even with Nat's limitations. That's silly. Relatively slow 6 footers are over matched in the top 25. Molly might wake up, she might not. You have to be great not simply competent to get minutes in a real game. I think it's unfair, recruiting ordinary players for the CT bench. The new kids will move right past them next year. Everybody is the same in God's eyes but not on the court. Geno will play only 7 players in the big games and hope the refs don't foul them out.
Well....for a first post that was brutally blunt. I think you put into words what a lot of people are thinking but there is a tendency on this board to be very optimistic and supportive of all the players. It is really gratifying to see the incremental progress our younger players are making but as you say, there are going to be 14 kids on the bench next year, a few new highly rated ones, and minutes will be doled out based on practice performance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom