Taisun Phommachanh Commits to Clemson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Taisun Phommachanh Commits to Clemson

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Didn't Medic cover this a few minutes after the news broke two days ago?

Reaction Score
0204C4BC-C296-4D4F-83C8-40F7F0947F17.jpeg
Your sarcasm meter is clearly on the fritz - unplug it and plug it back in...

But to your last point... “Home grown talent is leaving the state and RE shouldn’t let them“? - the vast majority of these kids are being recruited by/have offers from UConn. How do you suggest RE prevent them from choosing P5 schools?

Reaction Score
We can’t sell the adults on showing up at games. Hard to fault the kids for doing the same

Reaction Score
New Canaan had 3 FBS signees too. Pyne to ND, Conley to BC and Stewart to Michigan

I assume New Canaan will be preseason #1. That's pretty crazy

Reaction Score
Greenwich and New Canaan will probably receive most of the pre-season #1 votes. Greenwich might be a better team overall.

Reaction Score
Summer project for someone around here (me? Huskymedic?), creating a follow up thread on the ups and downs of CT’s highest rated football recruits through college. Every year I tell myself I will follow these top 10 ct guys to see how their careers play out - but then I move on to the next UConn class and quickly forget to keep tabs.

Maybe I will put something together in the down months ahead.

Great idea. That's the kind of thing "journalists" used to do but no more. If you want help with it, let us know, as I'm retired and have time.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Greenwich and New Canaan will probably receive most of the pre-season #1 votes. Greenwich might be a better team overall.
Greenwich has Gavin Muir (QB) and Moz Bici (LB/DE) to keep an eye on as sleeper kids that generate some late season recruiting interest.

Reaction Score
Great dual threat qb from Bridgeport CT. He turned the Harding football program around and made a run in states before transferring to Avon Old Farms. Maybe we will play against him in 2021!!!
CT kids find themselves #4 on depth chart, then transfer.

Reaction Score
Why post that. We can’t say there’s a talent here and then say the #1 recruit won’t see the field. Plenty of kids have gone away and done well. This isn’t an either or ; you can actually be happy for a kid to want to play on the biggest stage.

The fact that we are nowhere near the biggest stage is our fault.

Reaction Score
CT kids find themselves #4 on depth chart, then transfer.
this isn't even true. Ben Mason and Tarik Black both played for Michigan last year as true freshman. Black would have been a starter the entire year but he got injured after the first few games and couldn't play.

Reaction Score
Some of you guys are ridiculous. Take off the fanboy shades and ask yourself if you were a kid in 2018 that’s choosing between a Clemson/Michigan or UConn where would you go? Not a very difficult decision.

Reaction Score

You guys may be discounting SJ, who returns a ton of offensive talent including (arguably) the best pure passing QB in the state in David Summers, RB Jaden Shirden, and WR Philip Pasmeg. They lose Mallozzi and a few linemen, but they played a lot of young kids last year. They’re well coached and they have a few sophomores who will add depth to an already talented WR corp.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You guys may be discounting SJ, who returns a ton of offensive talent including (arguably) the best pure passing QB in the state in David Summers, RB Jaden Shirden, and WR Philip Pasmeg. They lose Mallozzi and a few linemen, but they played a lot of young kids last year. Theyire well coached and they have a few sophomores who will add depth to an already talented WR corp.
do they all play each other this year? that will be interesting. I know schedules are basically set but I haven't seen them posted anywhere yet

Reaction Score
do they all play each other this year? that will be interesting. I know schedules are basically set but I haven't seen them posted anywhere yet
Schedules for 2018 haven’t been released yet.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
One thing people need to remember is some offers have an expiration with the offer when it is extended. Not top notch players but that happen with some three star and others when they visit a team and that offer ends when they leave.

Reaction Score
Taisun can go to Clemson if he wants.

It is highly unlikely he will play QB there. Also in the class, Clemson has recruited the overall #1 high scho0l player (on most lists), a 6-6, QB, who came in early for spring practice. And they have the top rated 5-star QB from the 2017 class as well.

Kelly Bryant returns as a senior and the situation behind him is loaded thanks to a depth chart with Hunter Johnson, Chase Bryce and Trevor Lawrence. Johnson and Brice were members of the 2017 class with the former earning a five-star label as one of the top quarterback recruits in the country. Johnson also saw playing time in seven games this past season. Lawrence was the No. 1 overall recruit for the 2018 signing class and enrolled early.

We may see Taisun back at Connecticut at some point.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

It is highly unlikely he will play QB there. Also in the class, Clemson has recruited the overall #1 high scho0l player (on most lists), a 6-6, QB, who came in early for spring practice. And they have the top rated 5-star QB from the 2017 class as well.

Kelly Bryant returns as a senior and the situation behind him is loaded thanks to a depth chart with Hunter Johnson, Chase Bryce and Trevor Lawrence. Johnson and Brice were members of the 2017 class with the former earning a five-star label as one of the top quarterback recruits in the country. Johnson also saw playing time in seven games this past season. Lawrence was the No. 1 overall recruit for the 2018 signing class and enrolled early.

Of all the top 10 CT kids this year, I think Taisun is the most likely to change his commitment some point along the way. Not saying anything new here, but QBs are highly influenced by changes in OCs (which often churn) and the recruiting results and player results of the programs themselves. Fit and systems obviously matter too. He will be giving those all a very close look all fall and he might find a better fit during that process.

Reaction Score

I don’t understand the line of thinking in regards to questioning a kids decision based on who is currently in the depth chart. Don’t you want kids confident in their ability?

Reaction Score
I don’t understand the line of thinking in regards to questioning a kids decision based on who is currently in the depth chart. Don’t you want kids confident in their ability?
DanO was offered by Purdue when he came out of Shelton as the #25 ranked QB in the country. Purdue already had a commitment from the #6 high school QB in the country (Kyle Orton). It is great to want to compete. But I think the kid would like to play. The way QBs are stacked up at Clemson, reality should also play a role in the decision. DanO made a very good choice.

Reaction Score
I'll root for any CT kid to do well even if he won't break the depth chart at Clemson. Good for him.

Reaction Score
DanO was offered by Purdue when he came out of Shelton as the #25 ranked QB in the country. Purdue already had a commitment from the #6 high school QB in the country (Kyle Orton). It is great to want to compete. But I think the kid would like to play. The way QBs are stacked up at Clemson, reality should also play a role in the decision. DanO made a very good choice.

Don’t understand your point. And not sure if you know about Dan’s recruitment.

Reaction Score
Don’t understand your point. And not sure if you know about Dan’s recruitment.
Dan went were he could star. He went to UConn before there was UConn football. He remains a star in his home state and will be for life.

He could have sat behind Orton at Purdue (who churned out NFL QBs at the time). Perhaps transferred in time. That is the choice that Taisun is making.

Dan made a good choice. Smart choice. Realistic choice. I know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom