Taisun Phommachanh Commits to Clemson | The Boneyard

Taisun Phommachanh Commits to Clemson

Reaction Score
Great dual threat qb from Bridgeport CT. He turned the Harding football program around and made a run in states before transferring to Avon Old Farms. Maybe we will play against him in 2021!!!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Summer project for someone around here (me? Huskymedic?), creating a follow up thread on the ups and downs of CT’s highest rated football recruits through college. Every year I tell myself I will follow these top 10 ct guys to see how their careers play out - but then I move on to the next UConn class and quickly forget to keep tabs.

Maybe I will put something together in the down months ahead.

Reaction Score
New Canaan had 3 FBS signees too. Pyne to ND, Conley to BC and Stewart to Michigan

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This thread is dumb. CT doesn't produce football talent. Every football 'expert' knows this as fact.
Well - sorta in that same vein I want to look back at the past ten years to see how our top 10 kids did in college and the pros.

And PS - no I didn't miss your sarcasm -I'm with ya.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This thread is dumb. CT doesn't produce football talent. Every football 'expert' knows this as fact.

The kid was a 4* recruit out of CT.
Marquis Wilson is another 4* both he and Taisun went to Avon. They’re good.

Outside of them there is a handful of 3* talent that don’t come to UConn and head to play for ACC schools. Why would teams from the ACC come to CT if there wasn’t any talent here? Your point is dumb. If you said we don’t stock up to states like Texas or Florida yeah... I’d see your point. But the fact of the matter is Home grown talent is leaving the state and RE shouldn’t let them.

Reaction Score

Outside of them there is a handful of 3* talent that don’t come to UConn and head to play for ACC schools. Why would teams from the ACC come to CT if there wasn’t any talent here? Your point is dumb. If you said we don’t stock up to states like Texas or Florida yeah... I’d see your point. But the fact of the matter is Home grown talent is leaving the state and RE shouldn’t let them.

Your sarcasm meter is clearly on the fritz - unplug it and plug it back in...

But to your last point... “Home grown talent is leaving the state and RE shouldn’t let them“? - the vast majority of these kids are being recruited by/have offers from UConn. How do you suggest RE prevent them from choosing P5 schools?

Reaction Score

But to your last point... “Home grown talent is leaving the state and RE shouldn’t let them“? - the vast majority of these kids are being recruited by/have offers from UConn. How do you suggest RE prevent them from choosing P5 schools?
#power6 hashtag on Twitter

The new Big East clearly has stolen a page from Aresco's playbook.

Reaction Score

We need to have better pipelines with the stronger conferences and programs in the state than previous years. I think RE taking a day and visiting schools like New Canaan in the FCIAC and SWC that have power programs will help. I haven’t read anything about him doing such. Grabbing recruits from Hartford Public is awesome but when we have talent in the Fairfield Country and SWC areas we can’t let them get away and that’s where the big time recruits are.

Reaction Score

Yes, he "shouldn't let them." Do you even know what you mean?

Reaction Score
We need to have better pipelines with the stronger conferences and programs in the state than previous years. I think RE taking a day and visiting schools like New Canaan in the FCIAC and SWC that have power programs will help. I haven’t read anything about him doing such. Grabbing recruits from Hartford Public is awesome but when we have talent in the Fairfield Country and SWC areas we can’t let them get away and that’s where the big time recruits are.

It’s not for lack of effort - he has reached out to all of them and realizes the talent pool in State:

>>“It is very important, not just the high school kids but the prep schools that are here in the state,” Edsall said. “Hopefully we have more Connecticut kids that we could recruit who can help us for years to come.”

Edsall recalled a conversation he had with New Canaan’s Lou Marinelli, who has led the Rams to 12 CIAC championships.<<

Reaction Score
In other words make a high priority.

That isn't "in other words" -- that is an entirely different statement -- but let's even ignore that for a moment. What reason do you have to believe that recruiting players from Connecticut schools who are capable of playing FBS level football is not a high priority?

Reaction Score
It’s not for lack of effort - he has reached out to all of them and realizes the talent pool in State:

>>“It is very important, not just the high school kids but the prep schools that are here in the state,” Edsall said. “Hopefully we have more Connecticut kids that we could recruit who can help us for years to come.”

Edsall recalled a conversation he had with New Canaan’s Lou Marinelli, who has led the Rams to 12 CIAC championships.<<

Time will tell with what he said in regard to CT talent staying home. It takes a few years to get a solid recruiting class. Just curious to see how many commit from CT that are high major talent come here. I can’t blaim kids for going to Clemson, ND or Michigan. It’s extremely hard to compete against.

Tyler Phommachanh was a big time prospect and we get a chance to play against him in 2021. I’ll be there!

Reaction Score
In other words make a high priority.

What makes you think it’s not a high priority? We are arguabley the worst team in the AAC. We aren’t beating top 5 programs for 4 and 5 Star in state kids. We still offer them, but it ain’t happening right now.

Our focus should be on beating some p5 programs (BC, Syracuse, Pitt) for 3 Star kids. Baby steps.

And of course winning would solve a lot of problems.

And also remember that some coaches are just pure anti UCONN. . . like for example the New Canaan Head Coach.

Reaction Score
Time will tell with what he said in regard to CT talent staying home. It takes a few years to get a solid recruiting class. Just curious to see how many commit from CT that are high major talent come here. I can’t blaim kids for going to Clemson, ND or Michigan. It’s extremely hard to compete against.

You just can’t ignore the P5 pull/cachet to these kids... the only thing Edsall can do is win football games and then win some more - consistently.

Reaction Score
That isn't "in other words" -- that is an entirely different statement -- but let's even ignore that for a moment. What reason do you have to believe that recruiting players from Connecticut schools who are capable of playing FBS level football is not a high priority?

Because I haven’t seen a high level ranked player come here (4*+) which is completely understandable seeing as Michigan and ND snatch them. I don’t blaim the kids they want to go after the best possible opportunity to play big time football. It’s a tough sell to get them to come here. I’m surprised we haven’t gotten that crown jewel yet. That’s all.

Reaction Score
What makes you think it’s not a high priority? We are arguabley the worst team in the AAC. We aren’t beating top 5 programs for 4 and 5 Star in state kids. We still offer them, but it ain’t happening right now.

Our focus should be on beating some p5 programs (BC, Syracuse, Pitt) for 3 Star kids. Baby steps.

And of course winning would solve a lot of problems.

And also remember that some coaches are just pure anti UCONN. . . like for example the New Canaan Head Coach.
Uconn has had problems with the higher rated in state kids for a long time. The prep kids and FC kids, if they are 2* and above, have long been pipeline areas for BC, Cuse, PSU and a couple of the the B1G schools. Recently, Clemson is picking off the best kids. Someone told Dabo that kids from the northeast might enjoy Clemson.

Right now, you need to win recruiting battles against peer/conference schools. He who shall not be named won way too few and took kids that were looking at DII/III options far too often. RE should start winning some battles against Temple, Cinci and the bottom end of the ACC/Big 10. Those are the peer schools today. This year's class is a quantum leap forward over 2015 in terms of success versus peer schools.

Edsall know what he wants and he knows that he has to work hard to find the players, identify them early and keep working them to the end. 3 year process to have success. The PWO's will help CT kids think about Uconn a little more. Winning and having a rocking stadium when they are on unofficial visits will help even more.

Reaction Score
Like saying UMass should not allow any highly rated basketball players in MA to leave.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Yeah
Screw the P5, screw the national exposure, screw the filled stadiums, screw the gorgeous coeds
Come to UConn and maybe you can be the start of something
Really?
There is no 4* and 5* that has high P5 interest staying here at CT/UConn unless there is some screwy situation

Reaction Score
We're aiming for the Big Ten or the ACC. UMass-Amherst is aiming for the AAC.

Maybe. But the reality is we are in the AAC right now. Tough sell.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom