Tacos | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tacos

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Cool story, I know Mexican people to. I've never had good Mexican in CT. or really anywhere on the east coast. Are there probably some little hole in the walls that are decent to good, sure but most small cities and towns don't have truly good Mexican food. I've had stuff recommended to me back east and it isn't even real Mexican food.
I think that depends on what one's idea of "Mexican food" is. If it's the standard combo plate thing served pretty much everywhere, then you're really talking about dishes "inspired" by some (usually northern) region of Mexico where beef and beans are staples (and more accurately the areas adjacent to both sides of the border).

I have had excellent meals at Mexican restaurants in NYC and Boston. But not at those kinds of places. One was the old Forest Cafe in Cambridge (closed more than 15 years ago), and probably the best thing I had there was a swordfish with a cilantro cream sauce, something you're not finding at Jose & Tony's or El Muchacho or whatever refried bean and taco place you're going to. The other was Maya on 1st Ave in Manhattan. A Richard Sandoval place, upscale and, at the time, similar to upscale restaurants one might find in the Polanco or Condesa neighborhoods in Mexico City. Urbane, imaginative, distinctly Mexican in flavor, but again, not stuff you'd see at mom & pops or chains. Still very, very good, and something I could imagine finding and enjoying in Mexico. Maya has since dumbed down their menu, but I'd still trust a Sandoval restaurant to give you good meal. You've got Bayless in your town, Sandoval is kind of the NYC version and Maya used to be the NY Topolobampo.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It's incredible how bad it has gotten... Maybe it was just my ignorance, but I swear it was delicious 20-30 years; it was my families go-to for special occasions.

I dont think it was your ignorance. I had some very good meals there decades ago.

Reaction Score
I think that depends on what one's idea of "Mexican food" is. If it's the standard combo plate thing served pretty much everywhere, then you're really talking about dishes "inspired" by some (usually northern) region of Mexico where beef and beans are staples (and more accurately the areas adjacent to both sides of the border).

I have had excellent meals at Mexican restaurants in NYC and Boston. But not at those kinds of places. One was the old Forest Cafe in Cambridge (closed more than 15 years ago), and probably the best thing I had there was a swordfish with a cilantro cream sauce, something you're not finding at Jose & Tony's or El Muchacho or whatever refried bean and taco place you're going to. The other was Maya on 1st Ave in Manhattan. A Richard Sandoval place, upscale and, at the time, similar to upscale restaurants one might find in the Polanco or Condesa neighborhoods in Mexico City. Urbane, imaginative, distinctly Mexican in flavor, but again, not stuff you'd see at mom & pops or chains. Still very, very good, and something I could imagine finding and enjoying in Mexico. Maya has since dumbed down their menu, but I'd still trust a Sandoval restaurant to give you good meal. You've got Bayless in your town, Sandoval is kind of the NYC version and Maya used to be the NY Topolobampo.
I like the food and atmosphere at the Bayless restaurants but I've honestly had better Mexican food at small Chicago Mexican grocery stores before.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I like the food and atmosphere at the Bayless restaurants but I've honestly had better Mexican food at small Chicago Mexican grocery stores before.
Yeah, I went too upscale with that example, but the point sticks. What I was trying to get at is most people think "Mexican" is something wrapped in a tortilla, accompanied with some yellow rice, and some brown slop. Or just tacos. It's so much more.

We actually have some very good taco places here, traditional and modern. What I cant get is a simple milanesa torta, a decent piece of fish, or even chilaquiles with egg on top for breakfast, unless I make those things at home.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I went too upscale with that example, but the point sticks. What I was trying to get at is most people think "Mexican" is something wrapped in a tortilla, accompanied with some yellow rice, and some brown slop. Or just tacos. It's so much more.

We actually have some very good taco places here, traditional and modern. What I cant get is a simple milanesa torta, a decent piece of fish, or even chilaquiles with egg on top for breakfast, unless I make those things at home.
You ever go to El Pescadito in Condesa?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You ever go to El Pescadito in Condesa?
No, when I first moved down there I was at El Presidente in Polanco, and when I got my own place it was in Chapultapec, a few blocks from Reforma, so I had plenty of nearby choices. It was 1994, well before Yelp or TripAdvisor, and I don't recall any "best tacqueria" lists, but I can't remember ever having a bad one. Even at Sanborns, lol.

Reaction Score
No, when I first moved down there I was at El Presidente in Polanco, and when I got my own place it was in Chapultapec, a few blocks from Reforma, so I had plenty of nearby choices. It was 1994, well before Yelp or TripAdvisor, and I don't recall any "best tacqueria" lists, but I can't remember ever having a bad one. Even at Sanborns, lol.
It's all marlin and fried shrimp tacos. I get the chile relleno and marlin combo tacos and the chile relleno and shrimp combo. Huge tacos with a huge condiments bar where you dress your tacos up with like 15 different options.

Reaction Score
Tacos La Rosa in Willimantic. Nothing else even comes close in this state.
Thanks. I was going to post this but I am horrible with names and couldn't remember the name. This is the place close to the frog bridge. Correct? Have eaten there numerous times.

Reaction Score
Haven't found any Mex approaching my experiences in Denver in the Farmington Valley/Ct..

Have always found the adult beverage that accompanies the meal enhancing the flavor (if chosen with discretion).Anejo.

Blending of heat with taste to optimize the dish with Mex can be awesome.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Cool story, I know Mexican people to. I've never had good Mexican in CT. or really anywhere on the east coast. Are there probably some little hole in the walls that are decent to good, sure but most small cities and towns don't have truly good Mexican food. I've had stuff recommended to me back east and it isn't even real Mexican food.

Agree with small towns. I’d be surprised if any cities lacked at least one good Mexican restaurant, even if it was a regional focused place that may not be to your liking. When I lived in South Boston, a great Mexican place opened up less than a block away. A well known food truck guy had a friend who was Mexican and had dinner at his house, with his mom cooking. He then opened the restaurant with her as the cook.

The reality is that most Americans want Tex-Mex the same as they want Americanized Chinese food. I think it took a long time before most Italian places were anything other than red sauce southern Italian food as featured at Olive Garden.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Can't beat a carne asada if it's done right. Also enjoy tacos al pastor on occasion.

Reaction Score
I dont think it was your ignorance. I had some very good meals there decades ago.

The other place I remember vividly was Luciano's Boathouse. That was my fam's big celebration restaurant. I've never seen portions that huge before. I'm pretty sure there was some super shady stuff going on there and it got shut down.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The other place I remember vividly was Luciano's Boathouse. That was my fam's big celebration restaurant. I've never seen portions that huge before. I'm pretty sure there was some super shady stuff going on there and it got shut down.
At that time they owned That one next to bills ( right) the log cabin in Clinton and the restaurant across from old glory In saybrook. So yeah.

Reaction Score
5CBD351A-5001-4608-9964-25F97EB19E90.jpeg

Had some leftover red beans, rice and jerk sauce from my favorite Norwalk Jamaican spot, No Leftovers.

Fried an egg, cooked some spinach and warmed the beans/rice, topped with the jerk sauce. Kinda weird but not bad.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
View attachment 68197
Had some leftover red beans, rice and jerk sauce from my favorite Norwalk Jamaican spot, No Leftovers.

Fried an egg, cooked some spinach and warmed the beans/rice, topped with the jerk sauce. Kinda weird but not bad.

Looks very nice. Since I've been working at home, I make myself tacos for lunch about twice a week. Usually chicken, but I vary the seasoning. I've got some smoked pulled pork I may try soon. Some of my best came from smoked ribs, took the meat off and used some fairly hot Caribbean sauce with a bit of BBQ. Have done breakfast tacos for lunch a few times too. I make an occasional burrito too.

Some day I may be sent back to the office, and it will be a sandwich every day. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I haven't have this level of freedom to eat what I want at lunch in 30 years.

Reaction Score
Next time I get some birria burnt ends quesatacos from Fernandez you all will surely get an eyeful.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Lol - Ouch. To be fair, I haven't been there in 40 years. It may have gotten worse or my standards may have been lower. Or maybe I just like bad Mexican? Who can say?
Why in God's name did you feel like recommending a restaurant you hadn't been to in 40 years?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Why in God's name did you feel like recommending a restaurant you hadn't been to in 40 years?
What's the cutoff? Seems like it's been five years since I was last in CT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom