Tacos | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tacos

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Sayulita has excellent tacos, but they’re not classic/authentic
You want "authentic" you go to the origin. Otherwise, it's all "-ish", regardless of cuisine.

In Mexico, beef is usually tougher, chickens are yellow and taste different, and you'd use different fish than you would in CT for fish tacos. Not to mention the corn to make tacos, the peppers in the salsa, etc. etc.

Basically, when it comes to food, "authentic" is bullbleep. And nobody should really care about that as much as they do. Get the flavor profile close enough, make it delicious. That should be sufficient.

Btw, lots of Mexican tacquerias and restauarants do non-traditional tacos as well because their cooks like to experiment as much as ours.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I wasnt aware of Arbys Taco's .

But the New Haven trucks are absolutely better than 97% of the crap you get in this state.

I dont expect a bunch of pansies on the boneyard who havent been up and down mexico eating de buche, lengua, and cabeza tacos to agree with me, but I can get all those on long wharf. Hit the yellow La Patrona truck or the Black truck.

Sorry you want a flour tortilla with microwaved chicken.

if you find a place that las lengua and menudo on the regular good chance you’ve got a winner.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The was a place down in Old Saybrook that was pretty good. I don’t remember the name, cuckoos nest maybe?
LOLOLOLOL.

It ain't 1995 anymore.

Reaction Score
Puerta Vallerta on the Berlin Tpke has some real quality authentic Mexican food, haven’t had tacos there, usually go fajitas or Arroz con pollo

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Tacos La Rosa in Willimantic. Nothing else even comes close in this state.

Reaction Score
Just a homemade tortilla, fresh local cheese, freshly cut onions, cilantro, homemade spicy sauce, lime, and maybe some beans is all I need. Sometimes a little chicken. Like anything else, the quality of the ingredients makes or breaks a taco.

Lol - Ouch. To be fair, I haven't been there in 40 years. It may have gotten worse or my standards may have been lower. Or maybe I just like bad Mexican? Who can say?
lol, ya, it isn't good! But I guess for something quick and cheap, it is suitable for those who live on the shoreline.

Last edited:

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Tacos El Azteca in Norwalk. There’s a lot of good ones in Norwalk.
I'll get lit up for it because it's sort of a chain restaurant, but I've always liked Sierra Grill as a quick meal if in Norwalk or Stamford.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Lol - Ouch. To be fair, I haven't been there in 40 years. It may have gotten worse or my standards may have been lower. Or maybe I just like bad Mexican? Who can say?

It always been inauthentic mexican, (which is fine, I mean its its own thing which I have no problem eating if quality) but it was a decent restaraunt 40 years ago, hell, even 30 years ago. They paid attention to quality and the cajun offerings back then were more than decent. There has been a couple ownership changes since, I think.

its been over 20 years since that place has put out food they could be proud of.

And the jokes on me because Ive thought that and known that for 20 years and somehow end up there once or twice a year still. Never by my choice. But family, or friends, or work......... somehow that is the meeting spot that is chosen.

And I say to myself "maybe this time"

and then laugh after dinner and say "why am I an optimist" ?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It always been inauthentic mexican, (which is fine, I mean its its own thing which I have no problem eating if quality) but it was a decent restaraunt 40 years ago, hell, even 30 years ago. They paid attention to quality and the cajun offerings back then were more than decent. There has been a couple ownership changes since.

its been over 20 years since that place has put out food they could be proud of.

And the jokes on me because Ive thought that and known that for 20 years and somehow end up there once or twice a year still. Never by my choice. But family, or friends, or work......... somehow that is the meeting spot that is chosen.

And I say to myself "maybe this time"

and then laugh after dinner and say "why am I an optimist" ?
They are also a perennial ballot stuffer for Connecticut Magazine’s “Best of” edition. Their prime demographic is comprised of the types of people who vote in those things. I think that is their sole marketing plan at this point.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Tacos La Rosa in Willimantic. Nothing else even comes close in this state.

Ive heard great things about it. Havent been yet. Next time Im up that way for sure going.

Reaction Score
The only important question here is if the BY is more flour or corn tortilla types

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The only important question here is if the BY is more flour or corn tortilla types

Corn is required...except breakfast tacos, which should be in flour. It is known.

Reaction Score
That couldn't be further from the truth.
Really, find a city that doesn't have good Mexican. Little Rock? Seattle? Atlanta? Des Moines? They have excellent Mexican places. Sometimes the kitchen is El Salvadorian or Costa Rican or Guatamalan, but it's all good and authentic.

I used to travel with two guys of Mexican heritage, one from San Antonio and one from Los Angeles. We ate at Mexican restaurants in many cities. They would often ask for the hot sauce from the kitchen (which was too hot for me). I asked them how they found the places we ate at. It was their opinion you could always find a good Mexican place no matter where you went. Please excuse me if I take their opinions over yours.

Reaction Score
Really, find a city that doesn't have good Mexican. Little Rock? Seattle? Atlanta? Des Moines? They have excellent Mexican places. Sometimes the kitchen is El Salvadorian or Costa Rican or Guatamalan, but it's all good and authentic.

I used to travel with two guys of Mexican heritage, one from San Antonio and one from Los Angeles. We ate at Mexican restaurants in many cities. They would often ask for the hot sauce from the kitchen (which was too hot for me). I asked them how they found the places we ate at. It was their opinion you could always find a good Mexican place no matter where you went. Please excuse me if I take their opinions over yours.
Cool story, I know Mexican people to. I've never had good Mexican in CT. or really anywhere on the east coast. Are there probably some little hole in the walls that are decent to good, sure but most small cities and towns don't have truly good Mexican food. I've had stuff recommended to me back east and it isn't even real Mexican food.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom