Syracuse's goal to keep UConn under 100? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Syracuse's goal to keep UConn under 100?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Could this possibly have been due to UCONN making a concerted effort to guard at the three-point line?
UConn ran Syracuse off the 3 pt line for much of the game. It resulted in more drives to the basket or pull-up jumpers from 10-15 feet. When Syracuse did shoot 3's they were often way behind the 3-pt line. They actually made several long bombs that I felt were bad shots.

Reaction Score
UConn ran Syracuse off the 3 pt line for much of the game. It resulted in more drives to the basket or pull-up jumpers from 10-15 feet. When Syracuse did shoot 3's they were often way behind the 3-pt line. They actually made several long bombs that I felt were bad shots.

We're agreeing with each other. You know that, right?

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

I agree about the poor shots from long range - and if you pardon the pun, this strategy would have been a long shot at best. Syracuse would have needed an output similar to Louisville's against Baylor when they knocked them out of the tournament a few years ago to have a prayer against UConn.

If I have time, I'll try to look at the opening quarter again to see if my response to 1 of the 6 still holds true to me.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We're agreeing with each other. You know that, right?
I guess I was confused, because usually when someone makes a declarative statement, they don't end it with a question mark. :)

Reaction Score
Well as a team I suppose it's nice to play for some goal after you know you're going to lose. I have seen it before. Not very often but once in a while.

Only this would have been NOT playing to achieve a goal!!:confused:

Reaction Score
As Mike Tyson once said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."

OD...I thought of including that in my post but in my opinion that one has been over used here. Then again many things are ;).
If I had to include a quote it would have been the gem from Miss St coach Vic Schaefer last year. "They're like piranha on a roast".
They are both good, I just think the latter really describes what we see from the women best, in a game like that. :)

Reaction Score
It seemed strange to me how Syracuse seemed to try to run the clock down in their 4th quarter possessions. I'm assuming their goal at that point was to keep UConn under 100, and not to win the game. Did it seem that way to anyone else?
In his presser Q said he told the team, after it was clear they weren't going to win, that they could stop playing hard and lose 137-50 or keep playing and lose 90-60. Maybe the slowdown was just a different approach 90-60.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Can't read through this whole thread. UConn held UConn under 100. look at who was on the floor for us the last 3-5 minutes. There's a reason we scored 8 points and it had zero to do with how long it took a deflated Syracuse team to shoot. We didn't score 14 points. 14. We also guarded them okay even with our last 5 on the floor. IMHO people are reaching pretty deep on this one. We killed them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom