Syracuse's goal to keep UConn under 100? | The Boneyard

Syracuse's goal to keep UConn under 100?

Reaction Score
It seemed strange to me how Syracuse seemed to try to run the clock down in their 4th quarter possessions. I'm assuming their goal at that point was to keep UConn under 100, and not to win the game. Did it seem that way to anyone else?

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
They were way behind. They weren't going to win. So they held onto the ball for 25+ seconds on nearly every possession in the fourth quarter to keep down the score. Nothing wrong with that.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
It seemed strange to me how Syracuse seemed to try to run the clock down in their 4th quarter possessions. I'm assuming their goal at that point was to keep UConn under 100, and not to win the game. Did it seem that way to anyone else?
That's what came to mind, yes. At any rate, they seemed to want to shorten the game. Not sure I've ever seen that before.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Absolutely. As if losing by thirty isn't bad enough. Their coach apparently believes appearances matter. Oh boy, we get to say we held mighty UCONN to under 100 points. What an accomplishment!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Well as a team I suppose it's nice to play for some goal after you know you're going to lose. I have seen it before. Not very often but once in a while.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not sure how I feel about Coach Q taking the air out of the ball in the 4th qtr. A few days earlier I argued that there was nothing wrong with UConn & Baylor running their offenses in the 4th qtr while putting up 116 & 119 pts respectively. I guess if I was a bench warmer for Syracuse that finally got in the game, I would be a little disappointed to be told to sit on the ball.

Reaction Score
Funny I would have thought the goal was to win the game....

Reaction Score
Even if that were their intension, I myself wouldn't interpret that as an act of malice. The game was over at halftime. No need prolonging that for them if they have a fair way out.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I noticed that as well and came to the same conclusion.
First time I ever saw a team, on the negative side of the score run out the clock.
A first for the announcing team as well.

Geno didn't seem thrilled on the handshake line
As much as Q tried to engage him, Geno seemed to want to be "outta there."
My impression is, that this is not the way the game is supposed to be played
Bad for our kids; worse for his.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Syracuse was also running out of gas toward the end, and vowelguy is right. Q started looking around for that team bus early in the 4th quarter, and probably realized his defensive end wasn't a scheduled stop. But yeah, keeping UConn below the magic 100 may have been in the back of Q's mind as well.

Reaction Score
Alternate theory:
if you've conceded the game, you just want it over as fast as possible. Running down the clock each possession largely guarantees fewer fouls and stoppages of plays.
Way too logical VG!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
They also were fouling every UConn shooter within reach in the final minutes. I don't know how that cuts under this theory.

Jim

Reaction Score
Alternate theory:
if you've conceded the game, you just want it over as fast as possible. Running down the clock each possession largely guarantees fewer fouls and stoppages of plays.
And no one gets injured in game that has already been decided.

Reaction Score

No argument here EasyEd, just not sure if the score was the tempo changer. I saw a team that came out and wanted to play at the same pace / style as UConn but does not have the legs, lungs or overall talent to do so for forty.....Q has said time and again how much respect he has for UConn and the way they play. He has to realize Geno did not make it happen overnight.
He had a couple of play makers on the floor for sure but to try and match our starting five at their own game was not a good plan. Every job requires a plan A, plan B, and a plan C. Whether it is construction or coaching, plan C is don't wait too long to implement plan B. He did not appear to have one and in the forth conceded.
Having said that, the passing display the women put on in that game was enough to distract any team from their game plan. ;)

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
What I found surprising about Syracuse's effort wasn't so much the end of the game slowdown (although that was a positive for them - they did outscore us 13 - 8 in the fourth) but more their moving away from their 3-point game.

For the season, they averaged just under 30 attempts per game. On Monday they only tried 20 - only 2/3rds of their normal total.

Reaction Score

I typed the same thing the other night. I agree.

Reaction Score
What I found surprising about Syracuse's effort wasn't so much the end of the game slowdown (although that was a positive for them - they did outscore us 13 - 8 in the fourth) but more their moving away from their 3-point game.

For the season, they averaged just under 30 attempts per game. On Monday they only tried 20 - only 2/3rds of their normal total.

Could this possibly have been due to UCONN making a concerted effort to guard at the three-point line?

Reaction Score
I don't know, I have a completely different read on this. I saw a team that was losing big lose with class. With about six seconds to go, and losing, they just held the ball. Not sure I've ever seen a team that was down do that, but I saw it as a sign of respect. And during the handshake line, it sure seemed to me that there was a friendly conversation, and pats on the back, between Geno and Coach Q.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Could this possibly have been due to UCONN making a concerted effort to guard at the three-point line?

Early in the game, there were a few times when Orange players were open for an outside shot but chose instead to drive the lane. Noticeable enough that I mentioned this to my wife.

So my opinion is Hillsman tried to out think Geno and formulated an unexpected game plan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom