Syracuse vs. UConn | The Boneyard

Syracuse vs. UConn

Reaction Score
I Live in the Cuse and have watched both teams play every game this year. UConn will win by 30+, and here's why:

Syracuse is not as good as last year, not even close.
Last year they were 10 deep, with upper classmen top to bottom. They subbed constantly to keep players fresh. And all those players understood the system. Their pressure defense was stifling. They lived off forcing turnovers and offensive rebounding to create extra possessions to support their pedestrian three point shooting percentage. But nearly half those players are gone now. 4 of their 10 person rotation graduated. They lost their third, fourth, fifth, and sixth best players. Now, they are 7 deep, A rotation of the 6 left overs and freshman Gabby Cooper. They can't keep up the same intensity as last year. They don't press nearly as effectively as last year. They don't shoot the three as efficiently as last year. They are too dependent on Sykes and Peterson. Their only post presence is Briana Day, and she'll very likely get into foul trouble. Gabby Cooper's shooting will likely revert back to season average 28% against UConn's defense.

UConn will easily handle the full court pressure. In the half court, Gabby will be at the foul line against SU's zone. From there it's basically over, as she will have four options. 1) Fake and blow by for layup. 2) pass to Pheesa underneath for a layup. 3) Kick to Kia/Lou/Chonger for wide open three. 4) stick the foul line jumper.

Defensively, UConn will need to slow down Sykes and Peterson, and they will. Syracuse will need a third option to step up . That won't happen.

UConn 102
SU 68

Reaction Score
Go back and watch last year's championship game. It was NEVER a contest; UConn blew them out as they usually do to mere mortals. So: if Syracuse is not as good as last year, heaven help them this time around. Others have written that the Orange people played well today, but can you imagine what it must have felt like for their players to watch the Huskies against Albany? Don't know why anyone is worried about this game. If UConn can't beat this team, they really don't belong here. And they DO belong here. 5 more to go. Chin up.

Reaction Score
I Live in the Cuse and have watched both teams play every game this year. UConn will win by 30+, and here's why:

Last year they were 10 deep, with upper classmen top to bottom. They subbed constantly to keep players fresh. And all those players understood the system. Their pressure defense was stifling. They lived off forcing turnovers and offensive rebounding to create extra possessions to support their pedestrian three point shooting percentage. But nearly half those players are gone now. 4 of their 10 person rotation graduated. They lost their third, fourth, fifth, and sixth best players. Now, they are 7 deep, A rotation of the 6 left overs and freshman Gabby Cooper. They can't keep up the same intensity as last year. They don't press nearly as effectively as last year. They don't shoot the three as efficiently as last year. They are too dependent on Sykes and Peterson. Their only post presence is Briana Day, and she'll very likely get into foul trouble. Gabby Cooper's shooting will likely revert back to season average 28% against UConn's defense.

UConn will easily handle the full court pressure. In the half court, Gabby will be at the foul line against SU's zone. From there it's basically over, as she will have four options. 1) Fake and blow by for layup. 2) pass to Pheesa underneath for a layup. 3) Kick to Kia/Lou/Chonger for wide open three. 4) stick the foul line jumper.

Defensively, UConn will need to slow down Sykes and Peterson, and they will. Syracuse will need a third option to step up . That won't happen.

UConn 102
SU 68

I agree with your analysis but Syracuse like USF will always have a shooter's chance to stay in the game if they are hitting their threes and the Huskies shooting is off.........just like last year, the first quarter will tell the story for the Orange, if they aren't hitting their threes it will be very difficult to stay in the game..............

Reaction Score
Great analysis by DukeOfClinton. My only concern is after listening to the Husky interviews the last few days, it sounds like the whole team, Geno included, have colds. I'm a worrier.

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
I like Peterson and Sykes to have 20-25 each. They are both solid players. That being said, UConn by 30+.

Reaction Score
Great analysis by DukeOfClinton. My only concern is after listening to the Husky interviews the last few days, it sounds like the whole team, Geno included, have colds. I'm a worrier.

I heard a couple of coughs but it's been like that all season long

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I like Peterson and Sykes to have 20-25 each. They are both solid players. That being said, UConn by 30+.
The bigger questions will be: How many shots do they have to take to get to 20-25 points, and how many of those points come off turnovers or O-boards?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

UConn 102
SU 68
Nice post. Thanks.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Go back and watch last year's championship game. It was NEVER a contest; UConn blew them out as they usually do to mere mortals. So: if Syracuse is not as good as last year, heaven help them this time around. Others have written that the Orange people played well today, but can you imagine what it must have felt like for their players to watch the Huskies against Albany? Don't know why anyone is worried about this game. If UConn can't beat this team, they really don't belong here. And they DO belong here. 5 more to go. Chin up.
Booyah!!

Reaction Score
I heard a couple of coughs but it's been like that all season long
I noticed that as well. I think it's Lou's fault. That kid seems to be sick all the time - last year and this year - she's constantly battling some illness.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
@DukeOfClinton has allayed my slight concern about the press. That's one area where Saniya makes me a little nervous.

And there's no Mo, Stewie, and Tuck to bring it up, but there's a 6'3" ball-handler who can pass over the top and a 6'1" forward with long arms and hands like a frog's tongue to catch the passes. Finally, I think it's foolish for pretty much any team not named Notre Dame to want to open up the floor against UConn.

Reaction Score
@DukeOfClinton has allayed my slight concern about the press. That's one area where Saniya makes me a little nervous.

And there's no Mo, Stewie, and Tuck to bring it up, but there's a 6'3" ball-handler who can pass over the top and a 6'1" forward with long arms and hands like a frog's tongue to catch the passes. Finally, I think it's foolish for pretty much any team not named Notre Dame to want to open up the floor against UConn.
Chong is completely different player now. I have confidence on her ...

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I am delighted to read all of this, but it's what is played and left on the court which matters... For me, I will pace in front of my TV until we nail the win down... If it's close it will mean a couple of hours of high blood pressure lessened by a few snorts of the appropriate medicine... And a cool down period after our win of ministrations of pain relief. You get what I mean!!!

Reaction Score
I noticed that as well. I think it's Lou's fault. That kid seems to be sick all the time - last year and this year - she's constantly battling some illness.

I wasn't going to say anything, but............must be a Huntington Beach immune system thing. Us Yankees are built of sterner stuff! Only kidding Lou, probably some exotic disease from the cow barn. I now officially blame Tierney. Have they all been vaccinated for Bovine Respiratory Disease Complex???? Lets get with the program before disaster strikes!

Reaction Score

These ladies practice together and room together so the colds just go back and forth.........I'd have them all hidden away from each other for the duration of the tournament if they are sick

Reaction Score
The bigger questions will be: How many shots do they have to take to get to 20-25 points, and how many of those points come off turnovers or O-boards?

The first "bigger question" doesn't really matter. Syracuse's game plan is to create more possessions. Efficiency and shooting percentage is not the main objective. Though probably 15-18 shots for Peterson and 12-15 for Sykes. The second "bigger question" is Syracuse's main objective. The third "bigger question" won't amount to much in Syracuse's favor. (The other factor is team 3PT makes.) (But, again, UConn wins by 30+.)

Reaction Score
I really like this game for UConn. It's certainly not a pushover; could even be competitive. But it's a home game, just 2 days after the last one, which means that they won't be rusty, and so they should play well. If they are going to run the table this year, far better to have a semi-challenge early than no challenge at all. That'll all change next week, so better to turn up the heat a bit now.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

No wonder. We took her from SoCal to a place where you have to congregate with other people indoors all winter long. She's used to being outdoors all the time at the beach. I'm hardly ever sick after getting away from frigid winters and being indoors for five solid months. Put me back in that environment and I generally get sick within two or three days.

Poor girl should have gone to Stanford...NOT!

Reaction Score
Syracuse doesn't have a real presence in the paint. The Day sisters are just too light and not strong enough to rebound the ball well. Syracuse will suffer on the boards and Napheesa will make short work of them on the blocks.

I am not worried about anything that Syracuse throws at the Huskies. Maryland and Baylor--eh.. that's a different discussion for a later time.

HGN

Reaction Score
Many of the Huskies do seem to be suffering from head colds. Maybe a trip down South to a warmer climate, Dallas maybe , would make them feel better.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yeah!! It's supposed to be in the 80s here today.

Reaction Score
Let's not sleep on Gabby Cooper she is pretty good from outside the line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom