Syracuse vs Georgetown .... greatest Big East rivalry ever | The Boneyard

Syracuse vs Georgetown .... greatest Big East rivalry ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hear this gem from the play-by-play announcers on ESPN during the Cuse game. They said the Big East was built on that rivalry along with the Syracuse vs St Johns rivalry.

Priceless.

Reaction Score
ur complaining about this? if you became a fan of cbb after Thompson retired then I guess you could argue about this but GT/Syr has been the greatest rivlary over the duration of the BE's existence.

Reaction Score
I am not disputing that it is not a great rivalry, but no mention of UCONN/Cuse. Over the last 20 years, I would say that this would rival any other Big East duo. Just my personal opinion.

Reaction Score
Hear this gem from the play-by-play announcers on ESPN during the Cuse game. They said the Big East was built on that rivalry along with the Syracuse vs St Johns rivalry.

Priceless.

Who are the announcers?

Back in the early 1980s, the entire league was stacked top to bottom. Even UConn had good players and good teams, but you could look at every team and say wow. PC had Donovan, SH had Callandrillo, BC with Bagley, Adams and Murphy, Cuse, StJ and G'town did have the best talent, but Nova with Pin0ne and Pitt with C. Smith were good too. So I think the league was all 9 teams having lots of talent rather than 1 or 2 teams dominating.

Then came the 90s and the conference did nothing other than UConn carrying it the conference on its back.

Reaction Score
ur complaining about this? if you became a fan of cbb after Thompson retired then I guess you could argue about this but GT/Syr has been the greatest rivlary over the duration of the BE's existence.

One could also argue that it was a big deal pre-Thompson. After all, for 19 years from 1989 until 2007, G'town had made only one final 8. I doubt the country really cared about the rivalry even if the 2 teams and fans did. So, it lost its spark.

Reaction Score
I am not disputing that it is not a great rivalry, but no mention of UCONN/Cuse. Over the last 20 years, I would say that this would rival any other Big East duo. Just my personal opinion.
I'd have to hear it for myself but if they only mentioned the league being 'built' on these rivalries then the focus would be on what happened in the 80s, when UConn wasn't a factor.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Meh.... I'm not going to get worked up over it. We have no True rival, mostly because the rest of the big east has sucked our kneecaps for the last 23 years. Unwritten rule that a rival can't be a kneecap sucker, thus no rival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
We were the class of the conference in the 90's and 00's. We had no rival. Certain teams would contest our supremacy at times -- Nova and G'Town in the mid-90's, St. John's in the late 90's, Pitt in the 00's -- but we were always the team with the bullseye on our back.

Reaction Score
Can't really argue with that. We were a Yankee conference team playing with the big boys for the first several years of the Big East. After we won the NIT and the Dream Season, we became much more of a factor.

Reaction Score
Been going to the Big East Tourney for quite some time. Syracuse always has the most fans there. The team they always hated and feared was not Georgetown!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm not really interested in this Georgetown Syracuse 'best rivalry' circle jerk.

I'm also not interested in this Syracuse 'best Big East team in history' and self-proclaimed 'Face of the Big East' you see on their message board.

The bottom line is we have more National Titles and Big East Championships than both of them. Those are the facts.

The conference situation sucks, but with Coach Ollie and new practice on the way, I still have a lot faith that regardless of where we play, we'll be a better program than the both of them.

Reaction Score
Been going to the Big East Tourney for quite some time. Syracuse always has the most fans there. The team they always hated and feared was not Georgetown!

Just wondering how you conclude Cuse has the most fans there, because I see a lot of UConn fans.

Reaction Score
Just wondering how you conclude Cuse has the most fans there, because I see a lot of UConn fans.

It's in New York, so not a huge stretch to say that they have the fan advantage lol, but Husky Nation has been known to take the Garden by force :)

Reaction Score
It's in New York, so not a huge stretch to say that they have the fan advantage lol, but Husky Nation has been known to take the Garden by force :)

I see where you're coming from, but it's interesting that there are actually 6 BE schools that are closer to MSG than Syracuse.

Reaction Score
I see where you're coming from, but it's interesting that there are actually 6 BE schools that are closer to MSG than Syracuse.
And all their fans live within the confines of the campus.

Reaction Score

I'm in New York too. I live 7 hours away from MSG.

Reaction Score
cool? there are many cuse grads in the nyc area....

Reaction Score

From a Cuse fan: Wholeheartedly agree. I get more stoked over the UConn games every year then GTown. Thought we'd loss our 6 OT notoriety after they started the fifth OT Saturday night in South Bend.

Reaction Score
From a Cuse fan: Wholeheartedly agree. I get more stoked over the UConn games every year then GTown. Thought we'd loss our 6 OT notoriety after they started the fifth OT Saturday night in South Bend.

I understand the early days as i was pysched to watch pearl vs leo and such..........but it's been a while since the Gtwon/Cuse games have rivaled the Huskies/Orange games I believe.......but some like ancient history!

Reaction Score
I understand the early days as i was pysched to watch pearl vs leo and such..........but it's been a while since the Gtwon/Cuse games have rivaled the Huskies/Orange games I believe.......but some like ancient history!

Again, can't agree more. When Thompson was coach it was more of a rivalry, to me. Most Cuse fans I know here in Syracuse will pick UConn v Syr over GTown v Syr. Hell , GTown didn't start playing consistently well until 6 or 7 years ago. Before that they were sucking canal water.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We had no rivals. We beat everyone regularly, some constantly.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
We had no rivals. We beat everyone regularly, some constantly.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

LOL.....I liked BC as a rival, winning almost 30 in a row and when visiting Roberts Center it was still a home game!!;)

Reaction Score

Priceless.

It is the biggest rivalry in the history of the BE. My guess is you were probably born in the 90's, which is fine, but that rivalry is without question the biggest in the conference and did help build the BE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom