Syracuse squeezes by 2 | The Boneyard

Syracuse squeezes by 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
vs Maryland tonight. The orange look very beatable and not a team that went 25-0.

Reaction Score
I'm probably picking nits, but I thought it was a pretty bad timeout by Turgeon before Cooney shot the foul shots. That put him down to one. If Cooney were to miss, you have to call a timeout immediately, which they did - leaving them with none. Now you have to go end to end in 3.5 seconds. If you kept the second one, you can essentially just run a football play to complete a pass near mid court and call another one right away. Now you're looking at going half the court in 3 seconds and can actually draw something up that has a chance of working.

Flip side is if Cooney makes both, then you have two left and feel like you didn't use them. But you can do the same thing - call one to design something just to get it near mid court and use your second one. And if Cuse fouls you on purpose to deny a 3, you still have one left which could come in handy if you have to go to the floor for the offensive rebound off the deliberate miss or something (or say Kieta gets the defensive rebound, you foul him immediately, and he misses both - then you don't have to shoot a 70 footer). Maybe there's an "ice the shooter" element at play, but even if he misses, you still need to give yourself a chance to do something with the ball. Better off maximizing your offensive possession than rely on some quaint notion of icing. Syracuse up two, then yes, you can try to ice him - since you have no chance if he makes both (but not if you only have one left since you don't give yourself a chance if he misses).

However, I've seen coaches make the far more egregious mistake of calling their last one in that exact same spot, and then not being able to stop the clock on the rebound. That to me is pure idiocy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just find it less fun to look at how bad Cuse may be playing after the way our guys played Sunday………just me I guess and it is something to talk about no doubt. SMU game just makes me concerned to much to look at others……...

Reaction Score
Syracuse has now won how many games by 3 points or fewer?

Two ways to look at that.

1. They play well down the stretch (Boeheim's schlock).
2. They're not good at building a lead, and they have pulled out several 50/50 type games that really could have gone either way.

I'm going with 2, and, it seems to me, the Orange would be a great team to bet against in the tourni, not only for historical reasons, but because the end-of-game pulling-it-out-of-your-ass strategy eventually ends with you pulling out a big turd.

Reaction Score
Syracuse has now won how many games by 3 points or fewer?

Two ways to look at that.

1. They play well down the stretch (Boeheim's schlock).
2. They're not good at building a lead, and they have pulled out several 50/50 type games that really could have gone either way.

I'm going with 2, and, it seems to me, the Orange would be a great team to bet against in the tourni, not only for historical reasons, but because the end-of-game pulling-it-out-of-your-ass strategy eventually ends with you pulling out a big turd.

They're playing a lot like our 2006 team did once March hit. Except Cuse cant score, and our 2006 team couldnt defend.

Reaction Score
I'm just wondering why there's a new 'Cuse thread after every one of their games now. We are UConn, they are 'Cuse. We are 3x Nat'l Champs and 7x BE Tourney champs. They're dead to me.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
I just find it less fun to look at how bad Cuse may be playing after the way our guys played Sunday………just me I guess and it is something to talk about no doubt. SMU game just makes me concerned to much to look at others……...

Agreed, in fact being the huge mojo guy that I am, I was very nervous ahead of time about Sundays game because I took great delight in Cuse's misfortunes last week. I knew I was setting myself up for some bad mojo for uconn and it came to pass. That somehow always seems to happen to me, when I take to much pleasure in a hated rivals misfortune the mojo gods smack me back into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom