Swish Appeal - Trish Stafford Interview Part 2 - Blazes UNC | The Boneyard

Swish Appeal - Trish Stafford Interview Part 2 - Blazes UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.swishappeal.com/2013/6/2...asketball-north-carolina-trisha-stafford-odom

"SA: How did the incoming recruits at North Carolina take the news of you leaving?

TSO: "The incoming super studs (Diamond Deshields, Alisha Gray, Jessica Washington and Stephanie Mavunga) weren't at all happy when I told them I would not be at UNC when they arrived. All 4 of them felt a bit betrayed and confused as to why I wouldn't be around to help them grind through and attain all the goals we talked about accomplishing together. One of the conversations was mostly shock, yet unselfishly happy for my personal opportunity. 3 of the 4 conversations were dreadful. Tears were shed. Explanations were offered. Rash decisions were blurted out. Ultimately, these young ladies want what is best for me as much as they know I want what's best for them, so they regretfully accepted my departure, while still being a bit confused.""

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well seeing as she was the main recruiter and has a terrific way with the young women she recruits, it's not surprising that the kids took it really hard. I'm betting all 4 of them seriously are looking at other options now. They may not open their recruitment back up, but i'd be shocked if they didn't have some serious heart to hearts with their families.

Hatchell's recruiting has always ebbed and flowed. She'd get some terrific players, then get kids around the top 20 or lower in other years. I'm not sure who they got in 2012 or who they will get in 2014 but they have a lot of work to do to surround the 2013 class with other really good players.

Reaction Score
They may not open their recruitment back up,.

You mean transfer. They have signed LOIs, so they can't merely "open their recruitment".

I still think there's something off here. She could've gotten a decent, if not very good, D1 job. Going D3 seems very very odd.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You mean transfer. They have signed LOIs, so they can't merely "open their recruitment".

I still think there's something off here. She could've gotten a decent, if not very good, D1 job. Going D3 seems very very odd.
Ooh. Right. Well that would certainly make it harder should they decide to jump ship. Doubt it happens, but as Odom said, lots of unhappy campers. I suspect they had a stronger relationship with Trisha than with Sylvia...

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I agree. Both parts of the interview contain curious comments.
Double agree.
Granted, i know we "like" it when coaches are honest, but the quotes make me wonder how I'd feel about hiring her....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just a bit weird all around. Seemed a strange move when first announced and still seems strange. And the comments are odd in this piece and the previous one. As for coaches sitting out ... this is an assistant coach not a head coach. Anyone who commits to a school because of an assistant coach is CRAZY. Sure they work closely with position players and are usually the initial contacts, but ... it is the head coach who runs things and you better be really stoked about them. Not sure what the average time in position is for an assistant, but it has to be pretty short. There are not a lot of teams that have had only 3 (?) changes to the assistant/associate ranks in 20 years like Uconn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom