SWEET - UConn is One of College Basketball’s Top Global Brands | The Boneyard

SWEET - UConn is One of College Basketball’s Top Global Brands

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
IMG_3255.jpeg

Reaction Score
The quote says, "Once a small-market program".

Yes, the UConn brand was small market, at least through 1989, and arguably a bit longer than that.

Plenty of things out there to be offended about. That write-up isn't one of them.
This makes no sense to me but whatever. Hard to know what people are even talking about these days when they're so imprecise. Those words sound like they mean UConn's market, which is Connecticut, and of course that's not small at all. It's quite big actually.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This makes no sense to me but whatever. Hard to know what people are even talking about these days when they're so imprecise. Those words sound like they mean UConn's market, which is Connecticut, and of course that's not small at all. It's quite big actually.
There is no denying the Whalers were a small-market team.

There was a time not all that long ago when UConn was not the 6th Borough, nor had much awareness in Boston.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
“Show me the money “
French market?
Saudi market?

Chinese market?

Would getting a following in these markets change the media dynamics?

Last edited:

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I'll take it, but basing "Top Global Brand" on this metric is a bit ridiculous: Thirteen programs stand out with the biggest global outreach, based on the total number of languages their Wikipedia pages have been translated to.

So we have Russian, Indonesian, Portuguese and English.

Quick someone translate our Wikipedia page to Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, Hindi, Bengali, Japanese and Urdu!!

Reaction Score
There is no denying the Whalers were a small-market team.

There was a time not all that long ago when UConn was not the 6th Borough, nor had much awareness in Boston.
There were only 21 pro hockey teams back then. Those teams didn't share their markets.

There are about 80 top teams in college basketball (non Mid Majors).

UConn's market is one of the biggest because it's the only school in that market.

Look around the college world and you won't see many big markets for these top schools. If we're talking about brand, that's something else. I'm not saying UConn had a huge brand.

Reaction Score
Maybe some perspective for Him. Applications increased almost 4.5x (aka 450%) while U.S. population only increased 26% in that time and Connecticut only 10.7%.
Application-Count-2-343x400-1.png
What are we even talking about anymore?
This is not relevant to the discussion. No one said UConn was a national brand back then.
BUT--this graph doesn't really prove much either as non big sports schools have had similar application rises. Northeastern had 10,000 applicants in 1990 and has 98,000 now, without expansion.

Reaction Score
What are we even talking about anymore?
This is not relevant to the discussion. No one said UConn was a national brand back then.
BUT--this graph doesn't really prove much either as non big sports schools have had similar application rises. Northeastern had 10,000 applicants in 1990 and has 98,000 now, without expansion.
This is because North Eastern University is 1) a Global Brand and 2) sits in a major Market. :)

Northeastern University
Northeastern received a record number of undergraduate applications for the 2024-2025 academic year, which university officials attribute to the university’s expanding global footprint and its leadership in experiential learning.

Northeastern took in 98,373 applications for fall 2024, up from 96,631 in 2023, 91,000 in 2022, 75,244 in 2021 and 64,459 in 2020. That’s an increase of 33,914 applicants, or 53%, over five years, according to Satyajit Dattagupta, the university’s chief enrollment officer and senior vice chancellor.

Reaction Score
Our page isn't on Spanish? Shocked.

I am also shocked it is NOT in Italian and Irish.

Reaction Score
I'll take it, but basing "Top Global Brand" on this metric is a bit ridiculous: Thirteen programs stand out with the biggest global outreach, based on the total number of languages their Wikipedia pages have been translated to.

So we have Russian, Indonesian, Portuguese and English.

Quick someone translate our Wikipedia page to Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, Hindi, Bengali, Japanese and Urdu!!
This is exactly the thought that went through my head when I started reading that article and it stating they were measuring brand by the number of languages their Wikipedia pages have been translated.

Reaction Score
All we can do is keep winning championships. The brand recognition will follow.
Uconn Is a lot like the University of Kentucky. I make a quick comparison some months ago in this thread here. Outside of relative proximity of UConn to Boston and NYC, success in the sport of Basketball has risen the national attention to the respective programs. I work in the City and very few people think of UConn other than being a Basketball powerhouse.

Reaction Score
The quote says, "Once a small-market program".

Yes, the UConn brand was small market, at least through 1989, and arguably a bit longer than that.

Plenty of things out there to be offended about. That write-up isn't one of them.
Agreed. We lost to Fairfield and Iona in 1984:

and were mauled by Fairfield in 1982:

So no need to be offended. Be happy with what we have achieved since then. I am!

Reaction Score
This is because North Eastern University is 1) a Global Brand and 2) sits in a major Market. :)

It is EVERY school.

This can't be news to you.

And--global brand, please. They gamed the US News metrics to fool easily gullible students and parents.

There are a lot of schools in Boston. That can't be news to you either. Boston U. is now at 10% admission.

They aren't big in sports either.

Reaction Score
It is EVERY school.

This can't be news to you.

And--global brand, please. They gamed the US News metrics to fool easily gullible students and parents.

There are a lot of schools in Boston. That can't be news to you either. Boston U. is now at 10% admission.

They aren't big in sports either.
I'm not sure What you're debating here. Boston University is an even bigger Global Brand than Northeastern. Both schools have spent dozens millions of dollars on undergraduate and graduate online education. Why do you think Purdue's alumni is more than double that of Uconn ?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure What you're debating here. Boston University is an even bigger Global Brand than Northeastern. Both schools have spent dozens millions of dollars on undergraduate and graduate online education. Why do you think Purdue's alumni is more than double that of Uconn ?
Purdue has 40,000 undergrads-so it's twice the size of Uconn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom