Sweet 16 - Anybody watching? | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Sweet 16 - Anybody watching?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
This is Huggie Bears year

Last year was his year until Gonzaga was allowed piggy back rides to play defense

the Q

Reaction Score
Yikes. What a trash side of the bracket. Loyola, K St, Michigan, FSU. Going to be like 2004 and 2011 when the Final 4 game between the East & Midwest is the de-facto NC game and the NC game is just a coronation. Sucks, this was a good tournament.

Not entirely fair. Those elite 8s had the top seed Kansas vs VCU and 2 seed Florida against 9 seed butler. It took 2 historic elite 8 upsets for Uconn/U.K. to not be the underdog.

the Q

Reaction Score
Been saying all tournament that it's gonna be Nova vs Duke for the NC when they meet in the FF.

I wish I could count on Kansas to do what they should do and bury duke.

But bill self in March....

The debate of who has done less with more between him and squid is a fascinating debate.

Reaction Score
The FSU kids are just happy to be there.

Picked preseason to finish #8 in the ACC, having lost 3 of their 4 last games of the season and just hanging on the bubble...the boys are just happy to dance.

They played a typical Leonard Hamilton game....defense and a lot of substitutions to keep fresh legs. The Zags were held to 33.9 percent from the field and 25 percent from three point range.

There have been no buzzer beaters...Very surprisingly, the Noles have won by an average of 11 so far in the tourney

The last Elite 8 appearance for this program was way back in 1993 with Charlie Ward, Bobby Sura, Sam Cassell....

Reaction Score
The debate of who has done less with more between him and squid is a fascinating debate.
Not really. It has to be Self, right? In 15 years at Kansas he so far has 2 Final Fours.

Since Cal has been at Kentucky, he has 4 Final Fours to Self's 1.

As a 1 or 2 seed, Kentucky has never not made the E8 with Cal.
In that same span, Kansas didn't make it out of the first weekend as a 1 or 2 seed three times (2010, 2014, 2015), and got bumped in the S16 as a 1 seed one time (2013).

the Q

Reaction Score
Not really. It has to be Self, right? In 15 years at Kansas he so far has 2 Final Fours.

In that same span, Kansas didn't make it out of the first weekend as a 1 or 2 seed three times (2010, 2014, 2015), and got bumped in the S16 as a 1 seed one time (2013).

Yeah I was expecting more of the cal had more NBA talent angle to come out.

But I agree with you. My bracket getting burned by self is basically a yearly ritual now.

Reaction Score

The only time Kansas ever looked good was when we played them.

Reaction Score
Calipari, on the other hand, blew it to a mediocre team with a mediocre coach. At this point, the highlight of the tournament for me has been Calipari and his multiple lottery picks lost to Bruce freaking Weber and a bunch of guys that will be lucky to be gym teachers in 5 years.
But seriously, you gotta give the poor guy a break. I mean, he has such a very very young team...right? I am sure he let everyone know that in his postgame interview. Yep, he did. I stayed up to watch it. lol.

Reaction Score
Do you guys in Kansas like or hate KSU? Know nothing about if there is a rivalry.

I would not say that KSU is a rival of Kansas. To be honest ever since Missouri bolted for the SEC Kansas has not had a true conference rival. If you ask K-State fans they would say that Kansas is their rival, but every team in the Big XII would say the same thing.

Kansas has dominated KSU in basketball. Since 1994 Kansas leads the series 56-5 or something like that. It has been ugly. Kansas leads the all-time series 196-93, including a 78-47 edge in Manhattan.

the Q

Reaction Score
I can't believe that K-State might make a final four, and that if they don't Loyola will. That is simply nuts.

K-state is doing it basically without their best player, no?

Incredible run.

I know Weber takes a lot of crap, but he did make a title game before. where his team went 12/40 from 3, most of them of the wide open variety.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I would not say that KSU is a rival of Kansas. To be honest ever since Missouri bolted for the SEC Kansas has not had a true conference rival. If you ask K-State fans they would say that Kansas is their rival, but every team in the Big XII would say the same thing.

Kansas has dominated KSU in basketball. Since 1994 Kansas leads the series 56-5 or something like that. It has been ugly. Kansas leads the all-time series 196-93, including a 78-47 edge in Manhattan.

Agreed. Many people who attended KU have relatives and friends that went to K-State (as I do). So while you may talk about the school, it's mostly friendly (unlike with Mizzou). In the Big XII (and 8 before that) I'd root for K-State against everybody but KU. That said, if they make the Final Four and KU doesn't, they will yap about it for an eternity.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yikes. What a trash side of the bracket. Loyola, K St, Michigan, FSU. Going to be like 2004 and 2011 when the Final 4 game between the East & Midwest is the de-facto NC game and the NC game is just a coronation. Sucks, this was a good tournament.

That's why I had Michigan in the final. That looked like a trash side of the bracket on day 1. There wasn't a single team on that side that had really impressed me.

Reaction Score

If not for UConn Cal and Kentucky would likely have had two more championships as Kentucky would have probably beaten Butler in 2011 and UConn beat Cal in the 2014 finals. Kansas really hasn't been that close. The basketball world should continually be thanking UConn for keeping Cal's ego in check.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

There are 3 - in no particular order
The Squid
K
Self

K has had rosters just loaded and has lost so many early round games - yeah he won 5 but in my opinion he should of had 10 by now

the Q

Reaction Score
That's why I had Michigan in the final. That looked like a trash side of the bracket on day 1. There wasn't a single team on that side that had really impressed me.

Agreed. Same thought crossed my mind.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Squid
K
Self

K has had rosters just loaded and has lost so many early round games - yeah he won 5 but in my opinion he should of had 10 by now

Not sure what @beakumhawks thinks. My view on Self is partially that he doesn't succeed in March and partially that his teams play better than they should the rest of the time. He has had a couple of teams I thought were loaded, that didn't perform in March (2010-11). But this team? This team has no business being a #1 seed. They over-performed their talent to this point. If Preston had played, maybe you could expect this, but I certainly didn't think they'd be a #1 seed with this roster. Last year's team was better. Duke is certainly more talented than KU this year.

Here's the amazing part. Aside from being ineligible in Roy's first season, they never missed a tournament under Brown, Williams or Self. You have to go back to 1982-83 under Ted Owens to find a season where they missed a tournament.

the Q

Reaction Score
Not sure what @beakumhawks thinks. My view on Self is partially that he doesn't succeed in March and partially that his teams play better than they should the rest of the time. He has had a couple of teams I thought were loaded, that didn't perform in March (2010-11). But this team? This team has no business being a #1 seed. They over-performed their talent to this point. If Preston had played, maybe you could expect this, but I certainly didn't think they'd be a #1 seed with this roster. Last year's team was better. Duke is certainly more talented than KU this year.

Here's the amazing part. Aside from being ineligible in Roy's first season, they never missed a tournament under Brown, Williams or Self. You have to go back to 1982-83 under Ted Owens to find a season where they missed a tournament.

I mean their backcourt is pretty loaded.

They've got some talent.

Losing Preston was a huge blow.

They don't have the number of nba picks that duke has though, obviously.

But it's not like they're aren't loaded with 4 and 5 star guys.

the Q

Reaction Score
So glad Kentucky lost, only thing remaining I really wanted.

I'll take a Duke loss followed by a cuse loss on Sunday and be happy with anyone else winning.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I mean their backcourt is pretty loaded.

They've got some talent.

Losing Preston was a huge blow.

They don't have the number of nba picks that duke has though, obviously.

But it's not like they're aren't loaded with 4 and 5 star guys.

I'm comparing KU 2018 to KU other years. This is not a particularly strong Kansas team. There's always talent compared to most other teams.

the Q

Reaction Score
I'm comparing KU 2018 to KU other years. This is not a particularly strong Kansas team. There's always talent compared to most other teams.

what does that say about the rest of CBB?

Reaction Score
The Squid
K
Self

I mean, in a single elimination tournament that's just not how it goes. By your definition everyone except John Wooden is a disappointment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom