Sweet 16 and Elite 8 (Mar. 27-30) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sweet 16 and Elite 8 (Mar. 27-30)

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
BC wanted New England to themselves. I'm not sure why Clemson didn't want UCONN in the ACC.
As I understand it, schools like Duke and NC were actually in favor of UConn, presumably because of basketball. Clemson and Georgia Tech were against it due to football.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I know its been almost 30 years... but Arkansas and yall still feel a bit like outsiders in the SEC... at least from my perspective. I wasn't born when yall were in the ACC.. so obviously i have no memories of that... just the stories
Young whippersnapper.

I didn't live in SC when we were in the ACC, but other than Georgia, our fans' animosity mainly extends towards the ACC. Clemson, obviously, but also UNC and NC State.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
As I understand it, schools like Duke and NC were actually in favor of UConn, presumably because of basketball. Clemson and Georgia Tech were against it due to football.
So, they supported that powerhouse Syracuse football program, instead.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Young whippersnapper.

I didn't live in SC when we were in the ACC, but other than Georgia, our fans' animosity mainly extends towards the ACC. Clemson, obviously, but also UNC and NC State.
Why NC State? Regardless of sport, South Carolina/NC State has been a good rivalry in the last 20 years or so.

Reaction Score
Why NC State? Regardless of sport, South Carolina/NC State has been a good rivalry in the last 20 years or so.
It’s the Tobacco Road schools that we believed made it impossible for us to stay in the conference. Those four votes out of eight could and did block all the reforms that we felt were needed particularly elimination of the 800 SAT minimum that we felt was needed to qualify our poorly educated (the state’s fault) black athletes - particularly Freddie Solomon who qualified for every other conference in the country. Of course, the ACC dropped the requirement a couple of years after we left.

we fans and Frank McGwire also believed that the basketball refs were in the pocket of Tobacco Road.

thus there was hatred of NC State along with the other three. That hatred these days is mainly focused on UNC

Reaction Score

I kind of agree.

When I was a kid, before the SEC, NC State and SC played regularly in sports and your football coach was a Gamecock.

You did cheat in 86 and end Todd
Ellis's career in 89. And knock us out of the men's tournament one time.

Carolina fans hate the acc because we left and Clemson didn't and there has been about 50 years worth of myth and excuse
making centered on that.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I kind of agree.

When I was a kid, before the SEC, NC State and SC played regularly in sports and your football coach was a Gamecock.

You did cheat in 86 and end Todd
Ellis's career in 89. And knock us out of the men's tournament one time.

South Carolina fans hate the acc because we left and Clemson didn't and there has been about 50 years worth of myth and excuse
making centered on that.

Fixed it for you.

I was a youngster when Todd Ellis was setting high school records over at Page High School. #9 Didnt get to see much South Carolina football on TV at that time... they did show his highlights though. Always wanted him to do well down in college.

Reaction Score
First glance predictions without overanalyzing:

Uconn over Iowa in a close hard fought game. I think Clark gets hers and Iowa hangs tough but ultimately loses by 5-10.

Baylor over Michigan relatively easily. Michigan looked good vs Tennessee but Baylor is really tough defensively and I dont see the Browns scoring as easily this game.

Nc State eeks out a win vs Indiana. I could see this going either way. Cunane vs Holmes will be fun to watch.

Texas A&M holds off Arizona by 5-10. They played rough basketball the first 2 rounds but regroup. Arizona hasn't exactly been lighting it up themselves lately.

South Carolina rolls.

Stanford rolls.

Oregon upsets Louisville. Prince is playing at a high level and I think Graves gets Oregon to its 4th straight Elite 8.

Maryland slaughters Texas. Texas plays good defense but Maryland wins easily and slows down Collier, further establishing the overrated narrative.
Your prediction for today’s games were off. Better luck tomorrow

Reaction Score
The only surprises to me today was how close the Michigan/Baylor game was and Indiana’s performance. Big 10 has had some terrific showings in this tournament. They have been impressive to me.

iowa/uconn went how I thought. Iowa played hard but UCONN had a better overall team with a superior defense and rebounding.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom