Sweet 16 and Elite 8 (Mar. 27-30) | The Boneyard

Sweet 16 and Elite 8 (Mar. 27-30)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Sweet 16, day 1 of 2 (Sat., March 27)

UConn (1) vs. Iowa (5) (1:00p, ABC)
Baylor (2) vs. Michigan (6) (3:00p, ABC)

NC State (1) vs. Indiana (4) (6:00p, ESPN2)
Texas A&M (2) vs. Arizona (3) (8:00p, ESPN2)

Sweet 16, day 2 of 2 (Sun., March 28)

South Carolina (1) vs. Georgia Tech (5) (1:00p, ABC)
Stanford (1) vs. Missouri State (5) (3:00p, ABC)

Louisville (2) vs. Oregon (6) (6:00p, ESPN)
Maryland (2) vs. Texas (6) (8:00p, ESPN)

Elite 8, day 1 of 2 (Mon., March 29)

Winner of UConn–Iowa vs. winner of Baylor–Michigan
Winner of NC State–Indiana vs. winner of TAMU–Arizona

Elite 8, day 2 of 2 (Tues., March 30)

Winner of SC–GT vs. winner of Maryland–Texas
Winner of Stanford–Missouri St vs. winner of Louisville–Oregon

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Only one 3 seed (Arizona) and only one 4 seed (Indiana) survived the first weekend.

Never would we see such a stat with the home-court format.

If ever there was a year NOT to be a Top 16 national seed, this was was the season. Lower seeds didn't have to deal with the raucous home crowd fans.

Reaction Score

Louisville (2) vs. Oregon (6) (6:00p, ESPN2)
Maryland (2) vs. Texas (6) (8:00p, ESPN2)

Mercado Region final (winner of UConn–Iowa vs. winner of Baylor–Michigan)
Hemisfair Region final (winner of NC State–Indiana vs. winner of TAMU–Arizona)

River Walk Region final (winner of SC–GT vs. winner of Stanford–Missouri St)
Alamo Region final (winner of Louisville–Oregon vs. winner of Maryland–Texas)
I’m surprised the UConn Iowa game is the first one at 1? I thought they’d save that for prime time

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Louisville (2) vs. Oregon (6) (6:00p, ESPN2)
Maryland (2) vs. Texas (6) (8:00p, ESPN2)

First glance predictions without overanalyzing:

Uconn over Iowa in a close hard fought game. I think Clark gets hers and Iowa hangs tough but ultimately loses by 5-10.

Baylor over Michigan relatively easily. Michigan looked good vs Tennessee but Baylor is really tough defensively and I dont see the Browns scoring as easily this game.

Nc State eeks out a win vs Indiana. I could see this going either way. Cunane vs Holmes will be fun to watch.

Texas A&M holds off Arizona by 5-10. They played rough basketball the first 2 rounds but regroup. Arizona hasn't exactly been lighting it up themselves lately.

South Carolina rolls.

Stanford rolls.

Oregon upsets Louisville. Prince is playing at a high level and I think Graves gets Oregon to its 4th straight Elite 8.

Maryland slaughters Texas. Texas plays good defense but Maryland wins easily and slows down Collier, further establishing the overrated narrative.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I’m surprised the UConn Iowa game is the first one at 1? I thought they’d save that for prime time

ABC has the daytime games; more eyeballs watching on ABC than cable ESPN.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
tenor.gif

Reaction Score
Some fun crazy loopy college women's basketball trivia for all you chuckleheads:

#1 Seed South Carolina vs #5 Seed Georgia Tech:

South Carolina's WBB program began (in the modern era) in 1974. Georgia Tech's WBB program began the same year.

South Carolina resides in Columbia, SC. Georgia Tech resides in Atlanta, GA. The two universities are separated by either 214 or 215 driving miles, depending on if you use a Casio or a Texas Instruments calculator to do the math with.

Both universities' athletic departments have been members of the Southern Conference, the Southeastern Conference, the Atlantic Coast Conference, AND the glorious Metro Conference in their respective times.

This Sunday's Sweet Sixteen game will be the very first game both teams have ever played each other in their program's histories.....

:D

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score

You have the Regions switched on day 1 of the Elite 8. NC State-Indiana-TAMU-Arizona are in the Mercado region.

Reaction Score

Although SC vs. Stanford would be an exciting Elite 8 matchup lol... it should read

Winner of South Carolina (1)-Georgia Tech (5) vs. Winner of Maryland (2)-Texas (6)

Winner of Stanford (1)-Missouri St (5) vs. Winner of Louisville (2)-Oregon (6)

Reaction Score
ABC has the daytime games; more eyeballs watching on ABC than cable ESPN.
I'm married to a retired TV executive who tells me that UConn got the best game time because of the fact that the first of four consecutive men's games tips at 2:40. We WBB fans will watch the women whenever they play and whatever platform they are on, but it's no contest for attracting casual sports fans - they will watch the men. So more eyeballs on UConn-Iowa (at least until 2:40).

Reaction Score
The UCONN game has the most star appeal for sure.

The Saturday slate on paper looks a little more interesting in general, but it's the tournament.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Some fun crazy loopy college women's basketball trivia for all you chuckleheads:

South Carolina's WBB program began (in the modern era) in 1974. Georgia Tech's WBB program began the same year.

South Carolina resides in Columbia, SC. Georgia Tech resides in Atlanta, GA. The two universities are separated by either 214 or 215 driving miles, depending on if you use a Casio or a Texas Instruments calculator to do the math with.

Both universities' athletic departments have been members of the Southern Conference, the Southeastern Conference, the Atlantic Coast Conference, AND the glorious Metro Conference in their respective times.

This Sunday's Sweet Sixteen game will be the very first game both teams have ever played each other in their program's histories.....

I’m stuck on this being the first time we’ve ever played Georgia Tech. That’s an amazing stat when you consider that it’s two major P5s that are separated by a border and only 3.5 hours.

Reaction Score
I’m stuck on this being the first time we’ve ever played Georgia Tech. That’s an amazing stat when you consider that it’s two major P5s that are separated by a border and only 3.5 hours.
Yeah, I'm mildly surprised about that too. However, we don't play them very often in other sports either since the Metro collapsed. We play the tobacco road teams much more frequently, and they are the teams that we had the biggest hatefest with back in the 70s. We don't play the "new" ACC members very often.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm mildly surprised about that too. However, we don't play them very often in other sports either since the Metro collapsed. We play the tobacco road teams much more frequently, and they are the teams that we had the biggest hatefest with back in the 70s. We don't play the "new" ACC members very often.
This is true. They're like one of the few Southern schools that we have almost zero athletic history with. With the proximity between the schools it's just so surprising to me.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

It's hard to believe we've never played in WBB.

Basketball is my favorite sport, so I wish the Gamecocks were still in the ACC. I still think it's our more natural home as we were a charter member and our more natural rivalries are there.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
We weren't in the Metro at the same time.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

Basketball is my favorite sport, so I wish the Gamecocks were still in the ACC. I still think it's our more natural home as we were a charter member and our more natural rivalries are there.
Lol. You aren’t the only fan who wishes his team was in the ACC. As I understand it Clemson was one of our obstacles (though &$#*$@%#$ BC was the biggest obstacle), so we have a common enemy.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Lol. You aren’t the only fan who wishes his team was in the ACC. As I understand it Clemson was one of our obstacles (though &$#*$@%#$ BC was the biggest obstacle), so we have a common enemy.
BC wanted New England to themselves. I'm not sure why Clemson didn't want UCONN in the ACC.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I know its been almost 30 years... but Arkansas and yall still feel a bit like outsiders in the SEC... at least from my perspective. I wasn't born when yall were in the ACC.. so obviously i have no memories of that... just the stories

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom