Susan should hire Tim Pernetti as... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Susan should hire Tim Pernetti as...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Pernetti didn't do anything - you could have answered the phone ... just as adeptly as he did.

That's what John Toner did and he's on the Huskies of Honor wall.

Reaction Score
he wanted Rice fired, but followed university policy and legal came to a different conclusion.

Well Mike, we may never know the exact truth but I'm inclined to believe just the opposite. I think Pernetti was so engrossed in the B1G realignment that he asked legal to give him cover so he wouldnt have to fire Rice and all that would have divulged. So they provide a plausible HR reason for him to retain Rice and downplay what the tape displays (Pres doesn't even view it) and with a $50,000 fine and 3 game suspension, no one even has to hear why--not any faculty at RU or any of the B1G officials. Life is good, until Murdoch goes to Espn.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Well Mike, we may never know the exact truth but I'm inclined to believe just the opposite. I think Pernetti was so engrossed in the B1G realignment that he asked legal to give him cover so he wouldnt have to fire Rice and all that would have divulged. So they provide a plausible HR reason for him to retain Rice and downplay what the tape displays (Pres doesn't even view it) and with a $50,000 fine and 3 game suspension, no one even has to hear why--not any faculty at RU or any of the B1G officials. Life is good, until Murdoch goes to Espn.
Certainly a possibility that I can not deny.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You'd have to let him get old and cold first.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Gotta say that was good. :)

Guess I'll clarify- I believe his statement in his resignation that he wanted Rice fired, but followed university policy and legal came to a different conclusion. IF that's all true... Then that's why I feel he's not nearly as toxic. If he's full of it... Well, different story.
Given both Pernetti and Barchi are passing the buck and blaming the lawyers, you know they're both full of it. Now in fairness to Pernetti, he did make an awkward statement about his responsibility for failing to fire Rice on the spot, but that was followed later by blaming the lawyers. Think about it for a second - the athletic director wants to fire a coach for cause, with video evidence, and he's worried about the coach suing? or having to settle with the assistant for what, a couple hundred grand? Give me a break. Both of these men exhibited failure of leadership, they're both passing the buck, and at least one of them was lying or covering up at some point. Now... will Pernetti be a competent AD somewhere else? I guess. But he probably won't be trusted by whatever president / trustees hire him.

Reaction Score
Given both Pernetti and Barchi are passing the buck and blaming the lawyers, you know they're both full of it. Now in fairness to Pernetti, he did make an awkward statement about his responsibility for failing to fire Rice on the spot, but that was followed later by blaming the lawyers. Think about it for a second - the athletic director wants to fire a coach for cause, with video evidence, and he's worried about the coach suing? or having to settle with the assistant for what, a couple hundred grand? Give me a break. Both of these men exhibited failure of leadership, they're both passing the buck, and at least one of them was lying or covering up at some point. Now... will Pernetti be a competent AD somewhere else? I guess. But he probably won't be trusted by whatever president / trustees hire him.

"While Rice was fired, Barchi took pains Friday to stress he had not been terminated for cause. Under the terms of his contract, he is eligible to receive 75 percent of what he would have been paid under the final two years of his contract. Rice was to be paid $700,000 this year, and $750,000 over the next — not including incentive bonuses. His payout is expected to exceed $1.1 million."

Reaction Score
Perneti is a huge upgrade over Manuel, even with this whole mess.

Who actually interviewed this idiot Manuel and said, "Yeah, this is our guy. This is the face our athletic program."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Perneti is a huge upgrade over Manuel, even with this whole mess.

Who actually interviewed this idiot Manuel and said, "Yeah, this is our guy. This is the face our athletic program."
Well you have to take in account that Manuel is a rock star.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
"While Rice was fired, Barchi took pains Friday to stress he had not been terminated for cause. Under the terms of his contract, he is eligible to receive 75 percent of what he would have been paid under the final two years of his contract. Rice was to be paid $700,000 this year, and $750,000 over the next — not including incentive bonuses. His payout is expected to exceed $1.1 million."
Yes that's how it wound up going down, but Pernetti is claiming he made the decision to fire Rice on the spot and then was overruled or sidelined by the legal process.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That and the little detail about hiring two guys named Jim and Geno.

I'll give you Geno, but JC was hired by committee. Toner was on a short leash at that time. I know you remember that scathing white paper that described him as an absentee AD.

Reaction Score
That may be true, but when Pernetti answered the phone, he had an elevator pitch at the ready: "We continue to and have since I started on the job been very active in this space. And I think given our assets and our location, the New York TV market, our AAU status and strong academic standing, and most of all — given all the nonsense that’s gone on out there — running a clean program (with) integrity. We have great assets and we will continue to be a player nationally during this time as the landscape continues to shift.” http://blogs.mycentraljersey.com/ru...e-a-player-nationally-in-realignment-picture/

Reading that article when it was written, I couldnt help but get the feeling that he was comparing Rutgers to Uconn. Looking back, I am struck with with a few things; among them: how ironic the statement about the integrity of the Rutgers athletic program is; and how little Manuel discusses CR in comparison to the statements Pernetti made on the subject prior to Rutgers admission to the B1G. The lack of hopeful statements from Manuel inspire little confidence that we will be out of the AAC in the near future.

Reaction Score
Yes that's how it wound up going down, but Pernetti is claiming he made the decision to fire Rice on the spot and then was overruled or sidelined by the legal process.

Understood - NJ Press is calling baloney though on over-ruled. He had a say... They are saying Rutgers collectively went on the cheap (not releasing Rice immediately and paying out contract) and it cost them anyways + plus more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom