Susan says take a chill pill...Don't blame messenger | The Boneyard

Susan says take a chill pill...Don't blame messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Much of what Pres. Herbst says is rather obvious; namely, that the Big East is vibrant and working to counter the raiding of the conference by making it stronger. She also has this to say, that, once again, seems rather obvious to me, but not to the settled orthodoxy here at BY:

"I wish you could see my mail and answer my phone, to get a true sense of how dedicated and upbeat our best fans are."

Link:

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/121912aab.html

Caution:

Most here will consider her article trolling. That is too bad.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
actually, she does not say take a chill pill, it is more of a "cheer up". She is empathetic to the situation and as a natural optimist, she is looking to better days.

the full quote is:
"I wish you could see my mail and answer my phone, to get a true sense of how dedicated and upbeat our best fans are. Far from being depressed or dragged down by negativity, they are more committed than ever before, and know that it is their very commitment that will determine our future. They know that we will be more than fine, even if there are months and maybe even years of conference uncertainty ahead*. We still get to play and we still get to win. Our true fans and supporters so love our coaches and students, and enjoy their tremendous efforts on the field and court. That is what I appreciate, and what all university presidents hope for."

*which is the issue discussed on this forum. Yes we get to play, but it is the conference strength that concerns us. The consensus is not to be the big fish in a very small pond.

and being an optimist as noted above:

"So, Huskies: Let's all hang tough and please keep some perspective, as hard as it is in a time of great change. Win or lose, conference struggles or not, UConn is a research university. So if you are feeling low, just head to our university home page and glory in the amazing new faculty we are hiring at a rapid pace, our incredible student successes across disciplines, scientific awards and invention by our faculty, and all that matters most at your flagship university."

The post is more of a boost about how great is the University of Connecticut.

Reaction Score
actually, she does not say take a chill pill, it is more of a "cheer up". She is empathetic to the situation and as a natural optimist, she is looking to better days.

the full quote is:
"I wish you could see my mail and answer my phone, to get a true sense of how dedicated and upbeat our best fans are. Far from being depressed or dragged down by negativity, they are more committed than ever before, and know that it is their very commitment that will determine our future. They know that we will be more than fine, even if there are months and maybe even years of conference uncertainty ahead*. We still get to play and we still get to win. Our true fans and supporters so love our coaches and students, and enjoy their tremendous efforts on the field and court. That is what I appreciate, and what all university presidents hope for."

*which is the issue discussed on this forum. Yes we get to play, but it is the conference strength that concerns us. The consensus is not to be the big fish in a very small pond.

and being an optimist as noted above:

"So, Huskies: Let's all hang tough and please keep some perspective, as hard as it is in a time of great change. Win or lose, conference struggles or not, UConn is a research university. So if you are feeling low, just head to our university home page and glory in the amazing new faculty we are hiring at a rapid pace, our incredible student successes across disciplines, scientific awards and invention by our faculty, and all that matters most at your flagship university."

The post is more of a boost about how great is the University of Connecticut.

Rady

At first I thought I needed to double check to make sure I provided the correct link to the correc December 19, letter to UCONN Friends and Colleagues from Dr Susan Herbst. That is because, at first, it appeared possible you read a different letter than the one I posted.

The link is correct.

Put plainly, there is a good chance BY sentiment on the BigEast conference best described as constant conference bashing from sundry malcontents is neither accurate nor helpful.

Permit me to suggest two things:

1-read Susan Herbst's 12/19 letter with an open mind.

2-think of the forum as a source where opponents come to scout us out. Do you really want them to know that you think UCONN will never, ever attract a top-5 recruit (i am paraphrasing the malcontents, not necessarily an exact quote) because you think the BigEast is a rag tag league? Hint: the answer should be "NO' you do not want that". And, in any event, BYers are flat wrong. The BE will be just fine.

I hope the malcontents around here won't find it necessary to contradict me on this. If you do, please know that Susan will not be amused.

Read the letter, and read this part of it with a dash of self reflection, added:

"Many bloggers, journalists, and even fans from elsewhere would like to see UConn hurt, and hence write with a cynical tone. This flip discourse is again, not in our control. The truth is that this is a top national research university with a terrific athletics program that will flourish, no matter what conference we are in and no matter what the media chatter looks like."

Susan was kind in her use of the phrase "even fans frm elsewhere..."

No one wants the BY to be one of those "elaewhere" blogs, right?

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Capt. Herbst is somewhere between the panic and denial phases of this realignment crisis. The BEast's hull has already been ripped open by the iceberg and all she can do now, is to tell the band to "play on".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Much of what Pres. Herbst says is rather obvious; namely, that the Big East is vibrant and working to counter the raiding of the conference by making it stronger. She also has this to say, that, once again, seems rather obvious to me, but not to the settled orthodoxy here at BY:

"I wish you could see my mail and answer my phone, to get a true sense of how dedicated and upbeat our best fans are."

Link:

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/121912aab.html

Caution:

Most here will consider her article trolling. That is too bad.
I think we've figured out who jplotinus is.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
2-think of the forum as a source where opponents come to scout us out.
LOL!!!:D
Not only delusional, but funny too.

I hope the malcontents around here won't find it necessary to contradict me on this. If you do, please know that Susan will not be amused.
Do you really think any of the BYs, I guess besides you, care what Dr Herbst thinks of us? Or that she even thinks of us at all? Dude, or dudette, Dr. Herbst wants out of the BE more than any of us here. Only problem is she's/UCONNs stuck for now. IF, IF, an invitation comes, UCONN will be outta the BE faster than NY heartbeat.

Reaction Score
I have called for BigEast leadership to be shown. The Herbst letter to Friends and Colleagues of 12/19/12 is an example of the kind of leadership I had in mind.

Needless to say, the common wisdom at the BY is to engage in negative carping about the BE. No point in axin' for comment on Herbst's letter, as that would only elicit ridicule around here.

Too bad.

Reaction Score
LOL!!!:D
Not only delusional, but funny too.

Do you really think any of the BYs, I guess besides you, care what Dr Herbst thinks of us? Or that she even thinks of us at all? Dude, or dudette, Dr. Herbst wants out of the BE more than any of us here. Only problem is she's/UCONNs stuck for now. IF, IF, an invitation comes, UCONN will be outta the BE faster than NY heartbeat.

Well, you put yourself in direct conflict with what Pres Herbst said in her letter of yesterday. She said:

"I assure you that the BIG EAST presidents are both unified and optimistic, working to strengthen the conference in imaginative ways that will see us through to a bright future for our students, coaches, and fans."

I don't have any basis to assume Pres Herbst is being duplicitous. I take her at her word. I think there are many, many ways to do as Herbst says:

"STRENGTHEN THE CONFERENCE IN IMAGINATIVE WAYS"

Sorry if that prospect offends BYers.

Reaction Score
I have called for BigEast leadership to be shown. The Herbst letter to Friends and Colleagues of 12/19/12 is an example of the kind of leadership I had in mind.

Needless to say, the common wisdom at the BY is to engage in negative carping about the BE. No point in axin' for comment on Herbst's letter, as that would only elicit ridicule around here.

Too bad.
Go away, troll.

Reaction Score
Go away, troll.

First, there's nothing in the content of my post that fits the definition of trolling. Second, you have the option of ignoring my posts. It is, after all, sometimes said that ignorance is bliss.
Third, I will not go away.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well, you put yourself in direct conflict with what Pres Herbst said in her letter of yesterday. She said:

"I assure you that the BIG EAST presidents are both unified and optimistic, working to strengthen the conference in imaginative ways that will see us through to a bright future for our students, coaches, and fans."
Checks in the mail, I won't..... well you know the rest.

I don't have any basis to assume Pres Herbst is being duplicitous. I take her at her word.
You are very naive.

JS

Reaction Score
First, there's nothing in the content of my post that fits the definition of trolling.
There's a lot in many of your posts that fits the definition of condescension to the board.

You might consider just imparting your opinion and/or information without all the needling remarks about BY orthodoxy, common wisdom, etc. They're annoying at best, and yes, borderline trolling.

Reaction Score
Checks in the mail, I won't..... well you know the rest.

You are very naive.

You're talking about Herbst letter and strong backing for the BE.

Having put her commitment to the BE In writing, she has to mean it. I think she's here signaling that the phase of begging the ACC, a course highly favored by some, is over. Instead, she is committed to building the BE.

That is the right course.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You're talking about Herbst letter and strong backing for the BE.

Having put her commitment to the BE In writing, she has to mean it.

You are very, very naive.

I think she's here signaling that the phase of begging the ACC, a course highly favored by some, is over.
She/UCONN may not "beg" but don't think for a second they won't lobby, or if the chance comes jump like David Thompson to get out of the BE.

Reaction Score
You are very, very naive.

She/UCONN may not "beg" but don't think for a second they won't lobby, or if the chance comes jump like David Thompson to get out of the BE.

Ok, you make good points. Maybe UCONN will get a coveted by some ACC invite. I kind of doubt it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Part of Herbst's job is to be UConn's cheerleader. She knows fans are upset with the football team (which sucks right now) and with the lack of affiliation with a power conference. She is trying to get people to calm down.

Third, I will not go away.
You will if you keep badgering the board. WE GET YOUR POINT and we don't need to hear it again. Any questions, contact me, JS or Biff via PM.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Rady

At first I thought I needed to double check to make sure I provided the correct link to the correc December 19, letter to UCONN Friends and Colleagues from Dr Susan Herbst. That is because, at first, it appeared possible you read a different letter than the one I posted.

The link is correct.

Put plainly, there is a good chance BY sentiment on the BigEast conference best described as constant conference bashing from sundry malcontents is neither accurate nor helpful.

Permit me to suggest two things:

1-read Susan Herbst's 12/19 letter with an open mind.

2-think of the forum as a source where opponents come to scout us out. Do you really want them to know that you think UCONN will never, ever attract a top-5 recruit (i am paraphrasing the malcontents, not necessarily an exact quote) because you think the BigEast is a rag tag league? Hint: the answer should be "NO' you do not want that". And, in any event, BYers are flat wrong. The BE will be just fine.

Read the letter, and read this part of it with a dash of self reflection, added:

"Many bloggers, journalists, and even fans from elsewhere would like to see UConn hurt, and hence write with a cynical tone. This flip discourse is again, not in our control. The truth is that this is a top national research university with a terrific athletics program that will flourish, no matter what conference we are in and no matter what the media chatter looks like."

Susan was kind in her use of the phrase "even fans frm elsewhere..."

No one wants the BY to be one of those "elaewhere" blogs, right?

How dare you sir, to insinuate that I did not read the article with an open mind, and especially to imply that fans on this board would want to see UConn hurt.

When faced with an interpretation that is questionable, i.e., you telling the board that Herbst tells us to take a "chill pill", in order to formulate a response, I do the research and in this case, we are talking about the article and read it several times to ensure that I have understood the intent of the message, and then ruminate on my message before I click "post reply".

There is nothing in the article more than a boost from someone who can see what is going on with the conference, recognizes the seriousness of the situation, and sending a message to the reader to try to remain positive.

Your quote regarding that folks want to see UConn hurt is not relevant to this board - in fact it is quite the opposite - UConn's position is precarious at its current situation and as is reflected on this board. Yes the athletics program will remain strong, but in many disciplines, the superlative results may no longer be achievable because we cannot attract the top shelf talent to play in a weakened conference. We will for a time get good people, and I am speaking solely of the women's program because of the history and especially because of Geno Auriemma, yet despite this I believe that this will not last over a period of time and especially if Geno leaves after this current contract, or retires. He has to be challenged as well, for maintaining excellence is very difficult to do

The members of this board to whom you refer as "malcontents", recognize this. Any good fan from other programs will understand this as well. It is LOGICAL.

True, we can keep a strong OOC schedule, and that may alleviate this somewhat, but then, look at the scheduling..most of not all OOC games are played at the beginning of the season followed by conference play in the new year and leading up to the NCAA dance. The idea is to have the team challenged throughout the season and especially towards the end in preparation for this tournament, a strong conference will do this, a weak one will not.

The BE may be fine - may be....but if it survives this latest change, it will not be the conference it once was. And for UConn, the situation is most unfortunate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom