Susan Herbst Says In Interview Wants to Fill the Rent for Every Football Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Susan Herbst Says In Interview Wants to Fill the Rent for Every Football Game

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Is this really turning into a thread about building a new $tadium? Don't get your hopes up. If the team wins consistently, the Rent will be just fine. If not, neither the program or state can afford it anyway.
I know unless someone strokes a near nine digit check nothing is going to happen.

But, it's a given if someone posts an article with quotes from outgoing university president waxing nostalgic about an on campus stadium, well, the thread will eventually do down that road.

I'm just better than most at killing three pages of people dancing around the subject.

Reaction Score
I know unless someone strokes a near nine digit check nothing is going to happen.

But, it's a given if someone posts an article with quotes from outgoing university president waxing nostalgic about an on campus stadium, well, the thread will eventually do down that road.

I'm just better than most at killing three pages of people dancing around the subject.
Does anyone think Herbst made the statement about the on-campus stadium as a trial balloon -- to set what the response may be. Could she have discussed this with Gov. Lamont and he has the idea in the back of his head? Any stadium, especially a covered over one, is expensive. But I think it would show the B10 and ACC we mean business in football. Wasn't that part of the Louisville pitch to the ACC? If a private person or company wants to pay for part of it, the state may be able to bond the rest.

Reaction Score
Does anyone think Herbst made the statement about the on-campus stadium as a trial balloon -- to set what the response may be. Could she have discussed this with Gov. Lamont and he has the idea in the back of his head? Any stadium, especially a covered over one, is expensive. But I think it would show the B10 and ACC we mean business in football. Wasn't that part of the Louisville pitch to the ACC? If a private person or company wants to pay for part of it, the state may be able to bond the rest.

420 was Saturday

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
We should pray in hopes of more fans showing up on game day...

Reaction Score
I do not believe people at a certain level just throw out off-the-cuff remarks, particularly about things over which they retain a span of influence. Will it amount to anything - unlikely, given the dire state of the state. But there had to be a reason to say it - leverage in revenue share at Rent/HCC?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’m sorry are people taking one of her generic excuses and pretending it means there is interest in building an on campus football stadium?

They are building a hockey rinky dink - lol at the idea they could build a football stadium.

Reaction Score
That may be a bridge to far, but I do think there was a message in her message.

Reaction Score
I do not believe people at a certain level just throw out off-the-cuff remarks, particularly about things over which they retain a span of influence. Will it amount to anything - unlikely, given the dire state of the state. But there had to be a reason to say it - leverage in revenue share at Rent/HCC?

Doubtful, considering she's used the same excuse in the past, and there has been zero change.

Last time it was in response to the question to the tune of "Do you have any regrets about your tenure?" and she deflected and instead said her regret was they didn't build the stadium on campus 20 years ago.

Reaction Score
You can Google map the whole campus. I was zooming in to show footprint of a 50k football stadium compared to hoops arena, baseball field, track and other sporting venues.
How far we have sunk. Using ECU as a blueprint is pretty desperate . I’m disappointed in our moderator for not killing this fairy tale thread.. Lamont does not have enough political capital to pull off abandoning the Rent for an on campus stadium unless he decides to double the sales tax or cut off government pensions. Ain’t going to happen.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Geesh it was a throw away comment.

Sometimes the off-season is just brutal on this board.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Geesh it was a throw away comment.

Sometimes the off-season is just brutal on this board.

It was no such thing. It’s her deflecting blame for this mess. She has done it multiple times.

Let’s stop allowing nonsense from our president and make it clear to the next one this nonsense is unacceptable.

CL82

Reaction Score
It was no such thing. It’s her deflecting blame for this mess. She has done it multiple times.

Let’s stop allowing nonsense from our president and make it clear to the next one this nonsense is unacceptable.

Lol, she just said it would be easy to fantasize about an on campus stadium. It is since virtually every other football playing school has one. You are the only one who sees a conspiracy.

Relax and stop obsessing over meaningless stuff; you'll live longer.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’m not a “stop playing at XL guy” at all but when you look at what it costs in rent and loss of concession/parking revenue to have 8000 empty seats there every game. It’s tough to justify outside of big big games.

Reaction Score
I am one of the rare people on this site who actually admires Susan Herbst. I think she has done more to improve UConn academically and create campus traditions and create a cerebral collegiate setting than any other president in Gulley Hall. Do we need to improve further? Yes. Do we need to improve football, men's basketball, etc.? Yes. Should we have gotten into the ACC instead of Louisville? Yes. Is Herbst to blame? I don't think so, but let it be a learning experience for the next president.
The Athletic Department is on life support now. Tough to maintain the academic side without resources and pride in the state university. I don’t think history will reflect well on her tenure.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

So, basically the thought is she gets to put out a trial balloon with zero implications for herself since she is leaving office?

See if anyone wants to pick up the ball and run with it?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So, basically the thought is she gets to put out a trial balloon with zero implications for herself since she is leaving office?

LOL.

Yeah it’s a Jedi mind trick. Maybe noelevators will take it to the house.

CL82

Reaction Score

Nah, she mentioned an obvious concern to show she is aware of it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’m not a “stop playing at XL guy” at all but when you look at what it costs in rent and loss of concession/parking revenue to have 8000 empty seats there every game. It’s tough to justify outside of big big games.

The problem is they play no one at home. Arizona showed it’s the name not the team.

Yeah they could move almost everything back to Storrs and alienate a third of the fanbase who shows up.

The discussions here aren’t reflective of reality because like 75% of the posters aren’t here and 90% don’t actually go to the games.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

It isn't "unacceptable", because there's nothing any alum or fan or administrator or politician can do to get the program invited to a power conference short of dumping half a billion dollars of their own money.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
So, where does the on campus stadium go again?

Is it the southern area of campus by the rest of the sports complex, or do you go with the areas closer to 195 and 44 and access to I-84?

View attachment 42457

Chop down the UCONN Forest. I didn't even know we had a forest. That ought to send the Mansfield NIMBYs into permanent earth orbit.

CL82

Reaction Score
Chop down the UCONN Forest. I didn't even know we had a forest. That ought to send the Mansfield NIMBYs into permanent earth orbit.
Especially since that is the high ground in the area.

Reaction Score
I’d rather worry about something more attainable like getting back to winning way, going to bowl games, competing for titles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom