Susan Herbst Says In Interview Wants to Fill the Rent for Every Football Game | The Boneyard

Susan Herbst Says In Interview Wants to Fill the Rent for Every Football Game

Reaction Score
Outgoing UConn President Susan Herbst said in a recent interview with Jeff Jacobs on UConn sports, "We can do better. Football is where we can start. If we would fill the Rent every home game, we’d be in pretty good shape.” She also said, " It wouldn’t take too much imagination to fantasize about football being on the Storrs campus." And as far as dropping football and going into the Big East, "We’ve put too much into it to abandon it now, because we’ve had losing seasons,” Herbst said.

Jeff Jacobs: An exit interview with outgoing UConn president Susan Herbst

Reaction Score
Do you think she knows that everyone besides the sycophants hates her?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
She isn't wrong. But in a perfect world, attendance would be $15k more if the program had more legacy fans. Here in Connecticut- we like winners - when the team does turn it around, the attendance will return. I wish it would be to where it was 10 years ago, but it will get better.

Dropping football isn't happening. I hope Thomas K comes out early and shuts those naysayers off.

I will admit Susan's time has come and gone and fresh leadership is needed.

Reaction Score
I am one of the rare people on this site who actually admires Susan Herbst. I think she has done more to improve UConn academically and create campus traditions and create a cerebral collegiate setting than any other president in Gulley Hall. Do we need to improve further? Yes. Do we need to improve football, men's basketball, etc.? Yes. Should we have gotten into the ACC instead of Louisville? Yes. Is Herbst to blame? I don't think so, but let it be a learning experience for the next president.

Reaction Score
I am one of the rare people on this site who actually admires Susan Herbst. I think she has done more to improve UConn academically and create campus traditions and create a cerebral collegiate setting than any other president in Gulley Hall. Do we need to improve further? Yes. Do we need to improve football, men's basketball, etc.? Yes. Should we have gotten into the ACC instead of Louisville? Yes. Is Herbst to blame? I don't think so, but let it be a learning experience for the next president.

she literally got rid of the only good one

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, where does the on campus stadium go again?

Is it the southern area of campus by the rest of the sports complex, or do you go with the areas closer to 195 and 44 and access to I-84?

1555769441236.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For comparison, UConn baseball is down at ECU this weekend. Here's what ECU's 50k on campus football stadium footprint looks like compared to their on campus arena and outdoor sports' fields. Williams arena is an 8k seating capacity.

ECU.JPG

Reaction Score

Is it the southern area of campus by the rest of the sports complex, or do you go with the areas closer to 195 and 44 and access to I-84?

View attachment 42457
The most realistic, but not best location, would be at the prison.

Reaction Score
Chin raises an interesting point. One other question I have is what would happen to the Rent. I am sure Central CT would love to get their hands on it. Maybe they could try to get into a more competitive conference if they had a 40,000 seat arena. I wonder if anyone else would be interested in it? If they do put a stadium in Storrs, should be covered so it could be used year-round for sports and conferences and meetings?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
UCF looks like this. There is a separate section on the southern part of the campus where the volleyball courts, and other outdoor sports fields are located.

1555769949531.png

Reaction Score
She isn't wrong. But in a perfect world, attendance would be $15k more if the program had more legacy fans. Here in Connecticut- we like winners - when the team does turn it around, the attendance will return. .

Her and Benedict have made the same claim but its not true. Everyone likes winners. We've won 3 or less games 5 out of the last 6 years. Zero programs have fans that support their programs at a high level through that level of ineptitude.

Quotes like this are so embarrassing and so out of touch:
"Most of all, we’re trying to get people to come to the games to enjoy it, even if we’re struggling. That’s what separates struggling programs from the good and great ones, that fans are into it no matter what.”

No, what separates struggling programs from the good to great ones is that down years for the good to great programs are a couple of 4 or 5 win seasons. Then they spend money smartly and hold people accountable, and the struggles don't reach historic levels or last 8+ seasons.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Didn't know Herbst had a BY account.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

View attachment 42457
Separatist Track is most logical location. It abuts the existing athletic district, so parking could be shared among different sports. Hilltop and the Industrial Tract are the other two locations. I'm not a fan of the Depot Campus. If you are going to put football back on campus, you should actually put it on the campus. Intelligent traffic management and can go a long way to getting people off campus after a game and longer tailgating time slots feathers the traffic. It's not going to happen, but it be done.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Is this really turning into a thread about building a new $tadium? Don't get your hopes up. If the team wins consistently, the Rent will be just fine. If not, neither the program or state can afford it anyway.

Reaction Score
For comparison, UConn baseball is down at ECU this weekend. Here's what ECU's 50k on campus football stadium footprint looks like compared to their on campus arena and outdoor sports' fields. Williams arena is an 8k seating capacity.

View attachment 42458
Where are the dorms and classrooms? All I see is fields, parking lots, and people's houses.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Where are the dorms and classrooms? All I see is fields, parking lots, and people's houses.

You can Google map the whole campus. I was zooming in to show footprint of a 50k football stadium compared to hoops arena, baseball field, track and other sporting venues.

Reaction Score
Wasn't she the who wanted to drop football and start Lacrosse? I think Susan did fine in academics, but athletics not so much...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
/reads article where Herbst says "We've put too much in to abandon" football, for the 138,864th time

"Wasn't she the one who wanted to drop football?"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom