Surprisingly good/underwhelming WNBA players | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Surprisingly good/underwhelming WNBA players

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I expected her to be the star she is, but slipping to #6 in the draft reflected how underrated Napheesa Collier was. I imagine she was viewed as undersized for her position.
If I remember correctly, most thought she’d go #4 and Samuelson being picked there was a surprise. Collier was projected as a tad undersized but she had a brilliant senior year and most thought she’d be a solid pro.

That draft was viewed as strong and deep but I don’t think a lot of people thought Young/Collier/Ogunbowale would all turn into massive stars. There wasn’t a “can’t miss” number one pick like an A’ja Wilson, Caitlin Clark or Breanna Stewart type of player.

Reaction Score
i have to believe only reason she's on a roster is because connection to a, boston. in 2 seasons she probably doesn't have 40 total minutesplayed...
That’s a pretty ridiculous statement TBH and is disrespectful to both players. Aliyah doesn’t need a babysitter, nor does she need a companion. She has a BF.

Getting back to the subject, I thought Phee would be a good player, but not MVP caliper.

CharlI Collier might be the most surprising. Drafted #1, never got much PT, waived after a couple of years and vanished.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why would people think that? There are a couple of players on every team that don’t get much PT. Aliyah doesn’t need a babysitter. I’m a Gamecock and I was also surprised she made it last year but I assure you it wasn’t because of Aliyah. Destanni Henderson was already there if she needed a friend.

Not sayin it’s true, but I’ve read this numerous times from different people

Reaction Score
Not sayin it’s true, but I’ve read this numerous times from different people
I’m not going to argue because this is a great thread, and I don’t want it to get locked but both of those young women have worked hard to get where they are.

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
I thought A'ja was good in college, but not transcendent. Notably her teams never beat UConn. To her credit, she has improved a lot in the pros--especially her shooting and ability to go to the right. Every year, she has gotten better. She's either 1 or 1a in the world right now.
She's THE clearcut #1--there hasn't been a "1a/1b" situation since October 18, 2023 (and maybe even a month before that).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom