Surprise stat of the day | The Boneyard

Surprise stat of the day

Hoopcrazee

Hoopcrazee
Reaction Score
I know there has been alot of talk about Donovan Clingan's playing time here...

Anyone else surprised that Joey California has played more minutes this year than Donovan??????? 375 to 344... in fact so has Alleyne and Diarra....

CMON MAN... filed under makes no sense to me

Reaction Score

Anyone else surprised that Joey California has played more minutes this year than Donovan??????? 375 to 344... in fact so has Alleyne and Diarra....

That shouldn't happen. I like Hurley overall and what he has done, but he was quoted as saying he never planned schemes where Clingan and Sanogo would play together and that's a mistake. They don't have to play together a lot, it could be just 4 mins a game depending on game flow.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That shouldn't happen. I like Hurley overall and what he has done, but he was quoted as saying he never planned schemes where Clingan and Sanogo would play together and that's a mistake. They don't have to play together a lot, it could be just 4 mins a game depending on game flow.
Lol I really hate how he doesn’t seem to have plans to play his freshmen and it shows with quotes like this. They have to prove they can play before he starts planning how to play them.

Reaction Score

Kid is a freshman big man who fouls too much and can’t make his free throws. Severely limits his minutes.

Makes perfect sense to anyone with any basic understanding of basketball.

P.S. - I love Big Don and wish he could improve his performance to earn more minutes, but he’s struggling lately and more importantly I’m sick of these dumb threads.

Reaction Score
Kid is a freshman big man who fouls too much and can’t make his free throws. Severely limits his minutes.

P.S. - I love Big Don and wish he could improve his performance to earn more minutes, but he’s struggling lately and more importantly I’m sick of these dumb threads.
he Played ok in PK 85…..MVP

Reaction Score
Joey was playing 20+ a game OOC because he was shooting 50+% from three. He hasn’t played 10 in 4 of the last 5

Alleyne played 30+ to start the year because Andre was injured. He’s been at 10-15 for most of conference play, other than the last few games where he’s back around 20 due to Andre foul trouble (4+ fouls in 3 of the last 4) and the recent Andre conundrum

Clingan should get more minutes but this isn’t really a good way to highlight that. Can’t compare PGs and SFs getting minutes as a reason why a C should get minutes

EDIT: forgot about Diarra, but he’s also played less than 10 minutes for 4 of the last 5. Backcourt rotation is shortening

Reaction Score
Lol I really hate how he doesn’t seem to have plans to play his freshmen and it shows with quotes like this. They have to prove they can play before he starts planning how to play them.
For such a highly regarded head coach, Hurley does a ton of head scratching stupid shizzle like this. Between criminally underplaying his stud Freshman center, continually getting blindsided (and being unable to respond in-game) to new variations on the Andre Island defense, and losing his cool in games, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

Saw an article on Yahoo Sports (yeah, I know) with the ten teams likely to make noise in the Dance and they specifically excluded UConn because they said they didn’t trust Hurley not to implode.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

Because he is the backup to a dominant big who is also in superb physical condition and can go long minutes every night.
And Clingan has demonstrated a really bad FT ability, which makes him easier to defend.

Reaction Score
he Played ok in PK 85…..MVP

There was bound to be some regression. No film yet / data on how he moves and plays within our schemes, how to better defend both Clingan and the team as a whole.

The play more Clingan, double big agenda is so beat to death. Time to move on. I’m not a Hurley fan, but I respect him enough to know he knows better than the fellowship of idiots that keep saying the same thing for 2 months. He sees what he sees in practice every day and we don’t - end of story. It’s about matchups - if he likes the matchup situation he’s going to do it, but obviously he often doesn’t.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
For such a highly regarded head coach, Hurley does a ton of head scratching stupid shizzle like this. Between criminally underplaying his stud Freshman center, continually getting blindsided (and being unable to respond in-game) to new variations on the Andre Island defense, and losing his cool in games, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

Saw an article on Yahoo Sports (yeah, I know) with the ten teams likely to make noise in the Dance and they specifically excluded UConn because they said they didn’t trust Hurley not to implode.
Can’t blame them when they look at our past two tournament appearances.

Reaction Score

Hopefully you're joking again?

Reaction Score

You figure out how to play your best players together, it's ridiculous how few minutes Clingan has gotten this season.

Reaction Score
There was bound to be some regression. No film yet / data on how he moves and plays within our schemes, how to better defend both Clingan and the team as a whole.

The play more Clingan, double big agenda is so beat to death. Time to move on. I’m not a Hurley fan, but I respect him enough to know he knows better than the fellowship of idiots that keep saying the same thing for 2 months. He sees what he sees in practice every day and we don’t - end of story. It’s about matchups - if he likes the matchup situation he’s going to do it, but obviously he often doesn’t.
I don’t claim to be a bball expert by any means (and def part of the fellowship) but hard for me to see how MVP to 7 min/ game makes sense. I’m a fan of Hurleys program building but not game day coaching. Jax getting 30 and DC 7 isn’t helping the team win. I think DH is blinded by player loyalty to ‘his’ guys

Hoopcrazee

Hoopcrazee
Reaction Score

we must not be watching the same games then...it wasnt a dumb thread ,it's a fact

Reaction Score
I don’t claim to be a bball expert by any means (and def part of the fellowship) but hard for me to see how MVP to 7 min/ game makes sense. I’m a fan of Hurleys program building but not game day coaching. Jax getting 30 and DC 7 isn’t helping the team win. I think DH is blinded by player loyalty to ‘his’ guys

I would definitely agree with that with his handling of Jackson. I’m guessing reducing Jackson’s minutes is a very delicate issue. He props AJ up so much and knows he needs his ego stroked, but I gather he’s a bit of a loose cannon that could blow up, and blow up the locker room if he isn’t managed just right from a mental aspect. It’s such a touch spot given that we absolutely need his D on the floor as much as possible, but simply can’t have him shooting the basketball.

Reaction Score

Kid is a freshman who makes people miss shots when near the basket and makes people retreat when driving to the hole. Kid had 7 rebounds in 7 minutes and was a MVP of a very highly rated tourney early on. Not sure what your basic understanding is but it's really basic knowledge to know 7 minutes is not enough. I keep hearing he's struggling, how can you tell he gets 2-3 minute stretches. If struggling in 7 minutes is 4 and 7 then if he gets 14 minutes he's get 8 and 14 think we could use that as well as the blocked shot since we have no one else who scares the opponent.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I think 4-6 minutes a half is more like it but any increase in his minutes would help us
if the other players on the court with him don't make bonehead plays, his +/- would always be strongly positive. Just his consistent defensive rebounding makes a strong difference

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Can’t imagine what the progress of someone like AK would have been if SJ hadn’t had his annual injury.
Seeing how Hurley treats AJax, AK may have been keeping Andrew and Springs company no matter how SJ performed.
Not Playing DC starter minutes is malpractice. Don’t need Justbrewit to tell those who disagree that we don’t understand basketball. DC is far more than a backup center and would start on many good D1 teams. UConn has a coach who makes some really bad/highly questionable in game and roster decisions.
DC is the only true 5 that UConn has on its roster and needs floor time especially if AS is not going to play defense under the hoop. In 1/2 the minutes DC has nearly the same amount of rebounds and 3 times the blocks in comparative to AS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom