Surprise. Freshman Amari DeBerry coming to UConn with big expectations | The Boneyard

Surprise. Freshman Amari DeBerry coming to UConn with big expectations

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Some insight into Amari

'Hoping to win four championships': Freshman Amari DeBerry coming to UConn with big expectations (ctpost.com)

“She’s excited because she has some familiarity, but she’s kind of nervous going in as a freshman with Ododa being a senior and Edwards having such a great year (in 2020-21),” Nowacki (mom) said, noting that DeBerry will need to battle for playing time. “I think going to USAs gave her some confidence.”

Nowacki envisions DeBerry fitting in well at UConn. She said the proximity to their home in Buffalo, N.Y. — it’s approximately a six-hour drive to Storrs — factored heavily in her decision.

“That had a lot to do with the recruiting process. There was Baylor and Stanford. Those were six hours on a plane,” Nowacki noted. “I think it just eases her mind knowing she’ll only be six hours away in the car.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not sure what to expect from Amari as a freshman. Bigs generally take a little longer to develop at the college level and UConn already has a strong group of experienced frontcourt players ahead of Amari. Conservatively, I expect Amari to figure things out over the course of her freshman season and then be ready to compete for a starting spot as a sophomore with Liv and Dorka likely moving on to the pros. If Amari becomes a key member of UConn’s rotation as a freshman, all the better.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some insight into Amari

'Hoping to win four championships': Freshman Amari DeBerry coming to UConn with big expectations (ctpost.com)

“She’s excited because she has some familiarity, but she’s kind of nervous going in as a freshman with Ododa being a senior and Edwards having such a great year (in 2020-21),” Nowacki (mom) said, noting that DeBerry will need to battle for playing time. “I think going to USAs gave her some confidence.”

Nowacki envisions DeBerry fitting in well at UConn. She said the proximity to their home in Buffalo, N.Y. — it’s approximately a six-hour drive to Storrs — factored heavily in her decision.

“That had a lot to do with the recruiting process. There was Baylor and Stanford. Those were six hours on a plane,” Nowacki noted. “I think it just eases her mind knowing she’ll only be six hours away in the car.
She’s not the only one. There are few things boneyarders collectively can agree on. Wanting and expecting UConn to win the national championship multiple times in the next 5-6 years is one of them. If not now, when?

Reaction Score
Not sure what to expect from Amari as a freshman. Bigs generally take a little longer to develop at the college level and UConn already has a strong group of experienced frontcourt players ahead of Amari. Conservatively, I expect Amari to figure things out over the course of her freshman season and then be ready to compete for a starting spot as a sophomore with Liv and Dorka likely moving on to the pros. If Amari becomes a key member of UConn’s rotation as a freshman, all the better.
Think this is pretty spot on, just adding that before Dorka there probably would have been more expectations for her to be the principle C backup, allowing Aaliyah to potentially settle in as a starting PF. Now it can be a learning year, and if she earns some spot duty as a backup at C or PF all the better, but the year after is when she really needs to be ready. I also see her development as a factor in whether Dorka is here for one year or two.

Reaction Score
The USA WOMEN's Basketball web page has Amari as 6' 5" and 195#.
Yes, 195!! She is a BIG BIG. I 'll be interested in watching her progress and
the basketball version of " Five easy pieces". or is it 5 jigsaw pieces? , or 14??
Let the games begin!! Z

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Good for Amari.

She expects to play and contribute. If she is working hard for that goal, as other articles have eluded to, I hope she makes believers of all of us.

Never sell a kid with determination short.

Reaction Score
I can’t wait to see this kid play in person!
5-1/2 months and counting down.......!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The attitude is contagious. An attitude of determination and fight. Amari plays with her back to the basket. She is solid in her play. She will give UConn 10/8. Shes not gonna score alot of points but she will do her job in the middle. I met Amari Azzi and Caroline at the ND game a couple of years ago. It was half time and they walked by us Boneyarders and I said hi and asked if they were Amari Azzi and Caroline and they said yes. Amari is a very tall 6'5. Shes gonna be solid for UConn.

Reaction Score
The attitude is contagious. An attitude of determination and fight. Amari plays with her back to the basket. She is solid in her play. She will give UConn 10/8. Shes not gonna score alot of points but she will do her job in the middle. I met Amari Azzi and Caroline at the ND game a couple of years ago. It was half time and they walked by us Boneyarders and I said hi and asked if they were Amari Azzi and Caroline and they said yes. Amari is a very tall 6'5. Shes gonna be solid for UConn.
I would amend your post by saying she might not score a lot of points immediately, but well could expand her game to be a prime go to scorer in future years .

Reaction Score
You got all that about Amari by just saying hi? Good job!

Reaction Score
I have no idea what amari will do in her freshman year but I hope she gonna suprise all the uconn fan and her heaters ,hope she will be like Aliyah Edward
Let's just keep the Heaters at bay until late Oct-Nov. please ;)

Reaction Score
Hello Amari, so glad to have you with us. I took the trip , many times from Conn. up to Buffalo, via the N.Y. Central Railroad, at the time, which followed the Hudson River up to Niagara University. The students from Western N.Y. impressed me as great kids, like their parents. We have a great team here at UConn & comes with a great coach, which I am sure you are aware. May your dream's come true !

Reaction Score
This is going to be a special group. I can't wait!! Hopefully this whole covid stuff clears up so that we can attend a practice! This is going to be one magical group!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom